fasting and fainting

S

serenity648

I tried a 24 hour fast yesterday and, today i feel lightheaded and faint and a bit dizzy. What did I do wrong? I had plenty of fluids.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I also tried fasting last weekend and developed a terrible headache and my Partner said I was 'bad emperor's = so, it's not for me. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a salt deficit maybe. If you are very low carb already then a lack of salt could be the cause .. also quite a few ketogenic diet follows supplement potassium and magnesium too.

Reactions: Liam1955

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Realise not everyone believes in naturopathy but they do know a fair bit about fasting. Here's a quote from Leon Chaitow
Side effects of fasting
"During the early stages of fasting a number of predictable changes occur which commonly lead to headache, nausea, dizziness, coated tongue, body odour, palpitations, muscle aches, discharge of mucous and skin changes.

These symptoms need to be borne philosophically since they represent a necessary passage in the healing process. The benefits to be gained are well worth the short-term inconvenience of this catalog of minor problems which commonly vanish after a few days, to be followed by a sense of well-being and clarity of mind of remarkable degree."

Maybe something to try more slowly, good luck with it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a 24 hour fast yesterday and, today i feel lightheaded and faint and a bit dizzy. What did I do wrong? I had plenty of fluids.
Forgot to ask what did you have just water? because of course it could be caffeine withdrawal which is why I fast with tea and coffee.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm on a third day of fasting at the moment - I figured that if I'm recommending that people to consider doing it, I should know what it feels like!
Likewise, on morning of day three, both hubby and I (he's doing it too) felt a bit light headed - kind of how you feel when you are woozy with a cold. We both had a background headache too. By the afternoon energy levels were up, headache gone and feeling pretty sprightly.
It would seem logical to consider that the headache (and dizziness) is a symptom of the brain attempting to adapt to utilising ketones for fuel. I think I heard a stat that said that by day four of a fast, 75% of the brain's fuel comes in the form of ketones.
If headaches are a sticking point, it would also seem logical that becoming keto adapted first would make a fast less taxing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read of Fung's blog on fasting. He had all sorts of useful advice, and details of what you are likely to feel as you got through the different fasting phases.

He is also very clear that (from my fallible memory) you should feel hunger, and a certain amount of weakness and wobbliness, while you adjust, but you should NOT feel ill. If you do start to feel ill, then break the fast, and go more gently next time.

My personal experience is that the deeper in ketosis I am before the fast, the easier the transition. I don't think my body would like going from a carb meal to fasting. In fact, I know it wouldn't, because I tried that for years, when I ate moderate carbs and then skipped breakfast, and I always ended up hypoing by early afternoon.

I would also make sure you have broth while fasting, since I always seem to need to keep up the salt and minerals, even when not eating.

Reactions: Bebo321

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm fairly new to all this. Have been using 16:8 eating for several weeks now but yesterday did 24 for the first time & have woken with a headache & feeling cold. I have taken it that this is fairly normal ... so not worried.

@Brunneria .... Just read your comment .... sorry to appear daft but how do you make your broth ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fairly new to all this. Have been using 16:8 eating for several weeks now but yesterday did 24 for the first time & have woken with a headache & feeling cold. I have taken it that this is fairly normal ... so not worried.

@Brunneria .... Just read your comment .... sorry to appear daft but how do you make your broth ?

:) no worries.

Lots of different broth recipes around, but the trick is basically to take the chicken carcass from your roast chicken, or the bones from your spare ribs, or lamb chops, or pork chops, or whatever, and simmer them very slowly (slow cooker is ideal) for up to 24 hrs, with a tablespoon or so of cider vinegar. That is all broth is. And very plain and boring it is too, to drink like that.

So you can then jazz it up with anything you like - adding in all sorts of onion, garlic, veg, herbs, spices, etc.
You can add it to meals, use it as the base for soup, etc. etc.

The key thing is that the long slow simmer, combined with the acidic vinegar dissolves the useful minerals out of the bones and into the liquid. And by seasoning it with salt, you are adding much needed salt back into your diet (most low carb diets are low in salt because they don't have all the added salt used to make carby processed foods and bread). You then get to use the liquid for anything you like.

Some butchers actually sell or give away carrier bags full of bones, if you ask. Although I think they assume you have a pack of dogs! haha!

However, with the best will in the world, very few of us have enough bones passing through our kitchens to make enough broth for a mug of it a day. I know I don't. So I make broth when I can. The rest of the time I buy the best organic, gluten free stock cubes I can find, and dissolve half one in boiling water and drink it like a cuppa soup.

:D

FaithinOK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people need to add salt to not dehydrate. Too much water can flush out your electrolytes. OR if your eating starchy foods the transition can give you BS spike n crash

Reactions: Larissima

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found some virgin coconut oil may be helpful. It is likely that our brain may be having some fuel deficit...in fact I am wondering if that could be use for treating hypo...because I was able to reach < 4 mmol last night without the usual strong hypo signals...giddiness/hunger/trembling etc...

"Ketones are the brain’s main alternative fuel to glucose and brain ketone uptake is still normal in MCI and in early AD, which would help explain why ketogenic interventions improve some cognitive outcomes in MCI and AD. We suggest that the brain energy deficit needs to be overcome in order to successfully develop more effective therapeutics for AD. At present, oral ketogenic supplements are the most promising means of achieving this goal."

http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fnmol.2016.00053