generic "Glucophage".

banjo brunette

Hi All
I've just got a new script filled with a "generic" Metformin MR/SR. I've always been given Glucophage before and I understand that the generic is new out since my last script. I'm all for generic medicines in principle but hear that sometimes people find they're not quite as good as the proprietary originals.... What are people's experiences with generic Glucophage (yes, I know they're not called this in the generic version....)?
Cheers, BB :D

LondonKiwi

Hi BB

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I was interested in knowing what generic version you got.

I just received Bolamyn SR instead of Glucophage SR. One thing that is quite nice is that they are a bit smaller than the Glucophage tablets.

Martin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi BB.
I'm not sure about the efficacy of the 'Generic' versions........all I know is that I was always given branded Metformin until one time I ended up with a Generic version......I took two of these tabs and was left with a foul taste in my mouth. I immediately took all the tabs back to my Pharmacist and he replaced it with the original branded Metformin.

He had had one or two packs returned apparently by other regular users. All complaining of the foul taste. Needless to say he returned them to his supplier and it later transpired that they were made in India and it was the coating of the tabs which was faulty.

Since then I refuse any generic's and make sure that my scrip has the branded name on it. This is what the Pharmacist has to supply. I do have a good relationship with my Pharmacist and he always makes sure that branded is what I am always given. :D

Ken

jane22

Last year I was given a generic version by my pharmacist. I asked him about it and he told me they were exactly the same. I didn't think any more about it and took them for the next 3 months. During that time I felt bloated and had much more flatulence and stomach discomfort than usual. When I spoke about it to my nurse she asked me if I was taking anything different and I told her about the metformin. She immediately got another prescription for Glucophage from my Doctor and said a few patients had had the same problems and there must be something slightly different about them.
My pharmacist doesn't like getting these for me and commented that they are more expensive although I don't see how it should affect him. He did try giving me the generic ones again but I pointed out to him that I must have the ones on the script. He still maintains there is no difference.

C

catherinecherub

I posted this article on another thread. can't remember which one.

In generic drugs the amount of the active ingredient can be as low as 80% of the original and as much as 25% higher.
Although this article is not primarily about diabetes drugs, it would make sense to me that the same applies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... drugs.html

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi banjo
i've only ever had the generic Metformin.
the only problem it causes me is that the pills are different shapes and sizes in each prescription I fill.
I have the ordinary one Not the SR. I've had it since 2003.
Hana

banjo brunette

Hi All
Bolamyn is the new slow-release generic I've been prescribed too - I wonder if they're just the first to market? Boxes are huge in comparison with the Glucophage packaging and far fewer tabs per strip. Since I take four at one sitting, I'm going to need a sutcase for my pharmacy alone if I go anywhere for a few days, hayho :lol:

Yes, Hanadr, I had the same experience with my 'ordinary' Metformin when I was on that and with my Simvastatin too - never the same produce twice!

BTW new HBa1c today - 5.3 - consultant seemed a bit miffed that it was so low - kept saying hers was only 5.2. Seemed pleased, though, and signed me off the hospital diabetic clinic so that's good news - let off for good behaviour :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Bolamyn isn't new. It has been around for some time. We have had discussions on here about it before. Do a search on the forum for details.

Well done on the HbA1c result......I am sure you put a lot of work into that..... :D

Ken

banjo brunette

Hi Ken
I haven't come across it before - thanks for the tip.

As for the BGs, I couldn't have done it without the help of people here!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Great hbA1c Banjo!
Hana
We'll need to save up for a 4s sofa soon