Told I don't need to monitor my levels

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some nice snide remarks, best to say with a deadpan face
"If we gave every T2 a meter, the NHS would go bankrupt."
Pharmaceutical companies gives you [o]razors[/o] meters for free.
"You'll only get a sore finger."
Just got athlethe's foot, finger is sore too. By the way if you give me decent needles the finger doesn't get sore. Luckily the nice guys where I donated my blood gave me a box of single use needles for free.
"People fill in the numbers without doing anything about them, or they fill in their records and make it all up while they're waiting to see us."
There are meters that transmit data wirelessly to a personal computer or a smartphone, and there are application that will warn if the measures signals something wrong.
"It'll make you anxious and obsessive."
I'm already anxious and obsessive. I have also just bought a new Opinel knife because I've lost my older one
"You're only Type 2!"
ONLY? You risk amputations, blindness and neuropathy like a type 1. Yes I'm lucky that i don't have to inject myself, FOR NOW.
"If you follow our diet plan, you shouldn't need to test."
Could you put this in writing? Besides, if I prefer to check that the diet plan is actually working I have no means to test it.
"I'll happily give you a meter, but we no longer prescribe the strips." And so on...
Ok, give me the meter and please explain me how to use it, and when to test for effectively track the diabetes.
Meanwhile, husband, diagnosed 16 years ago, DID get a meter and test strips, lancets, etc. on prescription, but had them taken away over a year ago. "Sorry, this isn't funded any more," he was told.
Stupid beancounters... They surely prefer amputations and bariatric surgery...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@MikeTurin, the way you've broken them down like that makes them look even more ridiculous. Enjoyed your retorts too :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Terryrhino

Hello Terry and welcome to the forum :) Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. In addition to advice on levels, it gives advice on carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program which should be useful to you too. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Get yourself a meter it will change your life, it did mine. Thanks to the advice from here.

slash_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was the same for 3 years I was controlling it by diet alone so there was no need for a meter, recently I started glyclazide and was given a meter to monitor my levels so yes you should be given one

Reactions: SWUSA_

teresa54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone I've been T2 for one and a half months now I'm taking 1500mg of metformin a day and trying to stick to a low carb diet I've also been very ill for the last 3 weeks with perforated diverticulitis, that's the back story, when first diagnosed my fasting blood test returned at 99 which I believe is about 15% I I'm not sure about the mmol/ml thing and how it works, but my main question is I asked my GP for a BG monitor so I could self test and discover what foods effect me and just basically give myself peace of mind that what I'm doing is helping!!! But GP told me that I don't need to test you'll be ok ??? Is this often the case or am I being fobbed off all any any advice is grateful !!!
your GP is an IDIOT...being a T1 for over 25 years and I have very few problems and I am sure that most of that is because I test often..I was told I was a T2 and my GP said to test 4 times a day to keep it under control... ..they were running over 200 fasting and taking the max of metformin ...I was living on about 1000 calories or less & walking a mile a day.. I found that I was a T1 ...the pattern became obvious after several weeks and the meds were not able to keep the Blood sugars normal.....a Much smarter doctor later told me I was a T1 and that the prior doctor had missed it and should have caught it by watching the pattern ...keeping a log and watching kept me from suffering complications later in life..Walmart has a cheap accurate meter and strips...can be bought on line if you do not have a store near

Reactions: SWUSA_ and jenrose

Monkey1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I've been T2 for one and a half months now I'm taking 1500mg of metformin a day and trying to stick to a low carb diet I've also been very ill for the last 3 weeks with perforated diverticulitis, that's the back story, when first diagnosed my fasting blood test returned at 99 which I believe is about 15% I I'm not sure about the mmol/ml thing and how it works, but my main question is I asked my GP for a BG monitor so I could self test and discover what foods effect me and just basically give myself peace of mind that what I'm doing is helping!!! But GP told me that I don't need to test you'll be ok ??? Is this often the case or am I being fobbed off all any any advice is grateful !!!
Hi I was only diagnosed in September this year and I was told the same. They apparently don't give out monitors to type 2 any more cause of the price of the strips. I got one for free somewhere else and I spoke with a different doctor as i was taking light heads and feeling really hungry. I was light headed a couple of weeks ago and I testetested myself and I was 4.8 and 5.0. Was in with a different doctor and he gaveegave a mouthful and said that I would never be getting stops again and I wasn't Aldous to ask for them either. I'm seeing a different doctor today so I will see what happens

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
emoji3.png

Metformin can affect the guts very badly, as I have found out recently, the nurse has put me on slow release Metformin so at present am only taking one tablet a day instead of three and this has helped a lot. You need to eat when taking Metformin as it can cause gastric problems and I was unable to eat properly. I was given a meter for the first couple of months after being diagnosed ten years ago which was really informative of how food affected my blood sugar levels so purchased a meter and keep tabs on my blood sugar levels. I was doing so well the previous practice nurse took me off Metformin altogether two years ago but strangely enough the present DN wants my number to be what it was before when the previous nurse said it was too good so was put on three a day. I have other health problems too. I am sure the frozen shoulder is the higher blood sugar but this is a minor complication and I have staved off the serious complications so far by diet, exercise and a couple of Metformin so I think all people first diagnosed should get a meter at first diagnosis.

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
I had the same initial refusal and reply that you dont need to.
I wrote a letter to the surgery pointing out that according to NICE recommendations that its beneficial for type 2 diabetics to monitor and familiarise aiding in educating me to monitor it better.
After first getting it i was an obsessive compulsive tester. Now i test every so often sometimes not for days or even weeks if im feeling like **** i do just to see if it has any bearing on my bg. It never has.

If you keep an eye on what you're eating. I use the my fitness pal app to keep an eye on those sneaky hidden carbs that helps me. It might for you.

Im not underselling being T2. My mother was up until 3 years ago for 25 years then insulin dependant. she had been a bad diabetic (In denial for years) she knew how her body felt with what she wanted. ( not in moderation.) She didnt get very good help with the then hospital where the diabetic clinic was. Spoke down to her like she was an idiot. Wasnt really interested. This i believe was the root of her not coping with it. Move on 18 years shes having detached retinas being re-attached with gas bubbles injected into her eyes. Laser surgery to stop bleeds on the retina. In short she was going blind because she didnt fully understand what was needed to control your BG and watching what she was eating.

My HBa1c this year has gone up to 48. It was 46 last year.

I'm heading down the gym a bit more to lose the extra weight. I'm a chunky monkey and have days where i think f#*# it we all probably do if everyone's honest with themselves. Best thing a T2 with a few extra pounds can do is lose them. Im having a fight losing mine but i have to do it its common sense to lose it just bloody hard some days keeping the momentum to keep moving and not nibbling.

Theres some good advice here. Some outright idiot comments but you get that everywhere. If in real doubt ask your diabetic nurse. Mines not bad. If you don't feel happy with yours ask to see another. Its your prerogative. As with everyones posts my advice its just that advice. Im not a doctor or a trained professional just offering my own experiences with this pain in the ass condition we all have.

I lost my mother last christmas and when my brothers and sisters and i were clearing her house we found bloody mars bars bounties. Snickers hidden all round the house. Her nurse that used to see her every morning and evening had to laugh. She had been fighting to get her BG under control and was banging her head against a wall trying to figure out why mums bg was skyrocketing.

Last edited:

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Even when they do supply strips - the levels they seem to think are OK are... not OK.

In the past couple of weeks I've told one person that I'd had a fasting reading of 7.5, and another that my BG was 8.4 two hours after eating a dessert. They both thought that was OK.... because that's what they've been told by professionals.

Microvascular damage begins any time BG goes above 6.7. You really want to keep it below that, 24/7.

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Find a nurse practitioner... my GP told me to go away and keep my fluids up... (despite telling him I was drinking 3-5 litres a day) a week later I went to my doctors again and saw my nurse practitioner she sent me to AnE as my blood sugar was at 40 and keytones of 4... she saved my life... anyway, the point is I always prefer talking to her over the GPs...

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Find a nurse practitioner... my GP told me to go away and keep my fluids up... (despite telling him I was drinking 3-5 litres a day) a week later I went to my doctors again and saw my nurse practitioner she sent me to AnE as my blood sugar was at 40 and keytones of 4... she saved my life... anyway, the point is I always prefer talking to her over the GPs...
BTW this was when I was diagnosed last month...