Metformin

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
I've been taking metformin 500mg twice a day for a montg I've got over the stomach problem side effects but am still experiencing the bad joint pains and tiredness, just wanting to know how long they normally lasts for, by time I get home from work I'm in agony and so tired

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins are drugs prescribed to lower cholesterol.

I only asked because often when someone is diagnosed with type 2 their cholesterol is higher than the NHS like it to be, so a statin is prescribed almost routinely. Statins are known to cause bad joint pains in some people.

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
Statins are drugs prescribed to lower cholesterol.

I only asked because often when someone is diagnosed with type 2 their cholesterol is higher than the NHS like it to be, so a statin is prescribed almost routinely. Statins are known to cause bad joint pains in some people.
Yeah I am on statins for colestral the pain is really bad at times

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is more likely to be statins, if I were in you shoes I would go back to my GP

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its the statins, not the Metformin. What are your cholesterol levels, ask the GP. Diabetics tend to get given Statins but you aren't obliged to take them.

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
Its the statins, not the Metformin. What are your cholesterol levels, ask the GP. Diabetics tend to get given Statins but you aren't obliged to take them.
My colestral was 6.2 there is history of it in my family so could be why I'm on them

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought as much with the statins. They are notorious for causing joint pains.

Maybe you should have a read about cholesterol/statins. There are plenty of threads on this forum about it. Before you see your GP you need to know what the breakdown of your cholesterol was. This means the HDL (good cholesterol), LDL (not as good cholesterol) and most importantly, your triglycerides. Without this information you can't make an informed choice about taking statins. If you don't already have a print out of your blood results I suggest you ask for one. All these details will be on there. You are entitled to these print outs, but you need to ask.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
I've been taking metformin 500mg twice a day for a montg I've got over the stomach problem side effects but am still experiencing the bad joint pains and tiredness, just wanting to know how long they normally lasts for, by time I get home from work I'm in agony and so tired

Hi there,
One of the common side effects of metformin is bowel problems, try talking to your gp and ask to go onto slow release as its much more unlikely to cause this problem, it may also reduce the problem of pain if it is the combination of matformin and statins together causing it.
If I was you I would go back to GP to discuss your issues.
Maggie

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
I was placed on statins and experienced pains in arms it was simvastatin,I went back to the gp he changed it to Atorvastatin and no problems.I think they put you on the cheapest first no pain happy days but if you get pain bung you on a more expensive one.