Home made soup

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
I am thinking that there is nothing more nourishing than a bowl of home made soup.I made vegetable soup the other day consisting of Carrot,Parsnip,Onion,Celery,Cabbage,Haricot beans,But then I got to wondering how much carbs would there be and are they the wrong sort of veg.

Reactions: SWUSA_

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you could work it out if you recalled all the ingredients, but its unlikely to work out as much per portion, unless a portion is the lot of it....lol

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
you could work it out if you recalled all the ingredients, but its unlikely to work out as much per portion, unless a portion is the lot of it....lol
I made enough for six servings in a special terracotta soup bowls filled to three quarters full and I had I bowl and froze the rest.

Reactions: asparagusp

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds lovely.....

I don't think any of the vegetables you have listed are wrong or bad for blood sugar...

you could try plugging all your ingredients in to My Fitness Pal website and that should give you the carb values....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But then I got to wondering how much carbs would there be and are they the wrong sort of veg.

There's an app called Cook & Count which might be helpful in working out the carbs in home-made meals like soup, here's a link if you want to take a look:

http://www.healthapps.uk.com/cook-and-count.html

Love home-made soup, I'm making one later for tomorrow nights meal, always tastes better when you make it the day before :)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
***???
I'll tell you Why The Frown!! I made some veggie soup yesterday (carrot, cabbage, butternut squash, onion, red lentils), just usual left-over style soup. I had it with a buttered half Lidl protein roll. Went shopping then tested over two hours later at 8.6.
8.6!! Still 7.0 after more than three hours. I hit the saddle and churned out 15k on the bike before dinner to save my sanity with a 5.3....

Reactions: mo53

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I make soup my first ingredient is fat (usually to sweat the veg, especially onions). I won't use parsnip or carrot and go easy on tomato. I'm wary of pulses unless I can be sure of access to my meter. Leeks and mushrooms are good. I choose stock cubes carefully and prefer stock/fat left over from roast meat, especially lamb. It's all a matter of what suits you, so good luck with your winter warmers ;)