Please read before choosing a pump!

Dyann

i don't think any diabetic can really know everything there is to know about the disease. There are too many factors, from the food you eat, exercise, if you're in pain or hormone changes... but I do know what I have experienced. I was diagnosed at age 10, in a few months I will have had type 1 for 24 years. Many family members are on pumps. I started on regular needles with both fast and slow release types of insulins and insulin pens. After growing up with the disease and getting side effects along the way the docs finally approved me for a pump, the Medtronic. Worst piece of archaic software out there. My sister and uncle are also type 1 and using pumps. I would suggest the Omnipod, or another company. It has a PDM THAT WIRELESSLY TRANSFERS BASAL AND BOLUS CALCULATIONS THAT IT CALCULATES FOR YOU INTO A SMALL POD INJECTED ON YOUR STOMACH OR LEG. I use my leg as I have enough scar tissue from my past with Medtronic. Medtronic still uses TUBES, I don't want one taped onto my stomach EVER AGAIN. ... All I really want to say is please do your homework, choose a product that is best for your needs.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Dyann :)

You make a good point about the importance of choosing the right pump for you as an individual. We're all different :)

You'll see lots of threads here discussing the pros and cons of various pumps. Ultimately only the person themselves can choose what suits them.

I've been pumping for 12 years. I currently have an Animas Vibe and I love it :) Tubes are no problem for me personally as I prefer being able to move my pump as I choose and according to what I wear. We're all different :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agreed, tubes dont work for everyone but they work for me.

My team pushed me towards omnipod when it was the new thing out - I refused on the fact that i couldnt see what was going on (it freaks me out a bit) and it doesnt have CGM.

Other people rave about medtronic :)

iHs

My view is that patch pumps are only good for those who are ok with a 90 degree angle teflon cannula. It's no goodfor those who need a 30 degree angle or steel needle set due to absorbtion issues which unfortunately happens over time using pens and pumps. I am in year 6 of using a pump but if I get to year 8 and get absorbtion problems that are not too easy to address with infusion sets, I will then take a sigh and go back to injections again but will keep myself safe with cgm.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Obviously everyone is an individual and thus we all have different ideas as to what we want or need. My personal view is that I would not touch the Omnipod with a barge pole but that's my view as your view is yours. :) It also stands to reason to check out the pumps on offer and if you have a choice then go for the one you want.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My view is that patch pumps are only good for those who are ok with a 90 degree angle teflon cannula.
Then you'd be okay with the Omnipod. It has a 45 degree cannula ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All I really want to say is please do your homework, choose a product that is best for your needs.

The trouble is the choice of pumps can be limited, as far as I'm aware most clinics offer just 3 so you don't always get to pick and choose.

I'm a Omnipod user and like it for the reasons that you've stated @Dyann but the pump isn't for everyone, especially those who may be on high doses of insulin as the reservoir only holds 200u.

Reactions: azure

Antonm5012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish I could try Omnipod, but I did not have an option of doing so (unless self-funded).

The choices I had were Medtronic and Animas. I went with Medronic and never regretted.
Tubing is fine by me, and one of the advantages is the possibility to detach the pump during the exercises.
Cannula is less likely to peel off than the whole patch with the reservoir and pump.
"Hardwired" device also sounds a bit more safe and sound than two wirelessly connected parts ( think of all the interference!)
I would however benefit from a remote control but with a possibility to access the hardwired controls just in case.

With these arguments in mind, I also appreciate that there are plenty of advantages of tubing-less pumps, especially if you want you pump to be more discrete. Especially for ladies, who have less trouser pockets and no habit of wearing stuff on their belt.

Reactions: asa35 and azure

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We can only get the Medtronic 640g here sometimes one of the Roche ones. I would love a tubeless pump but 11 years later I'm still on a pump with tubes the funding doesn't exist for tubeless ones unfortunately.

D

Deleted Account

Wow! I'm with the other respondents - no choice for me. Animas Vibe or continue injecting.
I am not a fan of the pump but I am a fan of pumping.
Things to consider for someone who has decided they want the benefits of variable basal rates, are willing to put in the carb counting effort and are in the privileged position to have a choice of pump:
- size
- ease of UI (expect them all to be stuck in the 20th century)
- tube or no tube?
- volume of insulin. Do you use a lot of insulin, how often do you want to change, how big do you want the pump to be.
- are you going to pump in public? If you are, where will you keep the pump? It may be out of the way strapped to your leg but hitching up your skirt at a cocktail party every time you are offered a sausage roll is far from ideal.
- do you want it to connect to your (self funded, unless you are incredibly lucky) CGM?

I did a bit of research and found nothing that satisfies all my requirements so expect to have to compromise.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The trouble is the choice of pumps can be limited, as far as I'm aware most clinics offer just 3 so you don't always get to pick and choose.

I'm a Omnipod user and like it for the reasons that you've stated @Dyann but the pump isn't for everyone, especially those who may be on high doses of insulin as the reservoir only holds 200u.
Not sure but suspect OP doesn't live in the UK.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having now had diabetes for over 50 years, I started using omnipod took some work. I found due to many areas you can place this I can avoid most of damaged absorption areas. My biggest concern re this is u have to do blood test( as not shown)and like other pumps I cannot read the PDM in the sun, real problem in summer if unable to find adequate shade. Good news is 1 have lost weight and my average BM is now lower. Personally feel freer re Diabetes as I can monitor and adjust if needed as information stored on PDM . Easier than multiple injections.

Reactions: noblehead

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
he you lot .
lets be thankfull
for all the pump makers good or bad we have the choice and on the nhs .
what is the future i tell what it is FAR MORE CHOICE ,,, FAR MORE SUPER BLODD CONSTANT MONITERS NEEDLE YOU CAN HARDLY FEEL STOP MOANING 1921 BEFORE YOU WERE LUCKY IF YOU LASTED SIX MONTHS
maybe if we only had one pump what would you choose injections or ???????
we would all love to drive a ROLLS ROYCE but we all get by with norm
so as my old chap use to say be thankfull for what we have
thank s be to manufactures who give us a CHOICE
vic

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have to agree I did urine testing as a child and boiled reused needles and glass syringe to use- they were very blunt and much larger! Frequent comas etc. But had to deal with it school didn't want me there unless my mum was available whenever needed!
No real complaint intended just joining discussion and adding a few points. I am very pleased with how much easier it is now and education/ support available, as I would think we all are!

ClaireJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on a pump for over 12 years, currently a Medtronic. Yeah the different types have pros and cons, and as previously said, because we're all different some pumps will suit certain people better than others. Having had type 1 for 41 years I'm sure my health and great blood sugars wouldn't be so good without it, even if it doesn't suit everyone. I'm pretty **** sure I couldn't have got up at 7am with a blood sugar of 5mmol, had.a breakfast of 30g of carbohydrate followed by an hour at the gym and a busy day with no food until 18.00 averaging around 5mmol all day without being on a pump. It gets my (albeit low) basal rate spot on - something in my experience injections just can't achieve. I echo the sentiments that those of us offered a pump should be thankful we have that option.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I'm with the other respondents - no choice for me. Animas Vibe or continue injecting.
I am not a fan of the pump but I am a fan of pumping.
Things to consider for someone who has decided they want the benefits of variable basal rates, are willing to put in the carb counting effort and are in the privileged position to have a choice of pump:
- size
- ease of UI (expect them all to be stuck in the 20th century)
- tube or no tube?
- volume of insulin. Do you use a lot of insulin, how often do you want to change, how big do you want the pump to be.
- are you going to pump in public? If you are, where will you keep the pump? It may be out of the way strapped to your leg but hitching up your skirt at a cocktail party every time you are offered a sausage roll is far from ideal.
- do you want it to connect to your (self funded, unless you are incredibly lucky) CGM?

I did a bit of research and found nothing that satisfies all my requirements so expect to have to compromise.
@helensaramay , after doing so much researching over choosing my first pump (still can't decide: Vibe or 640G), I did laugh at you penultimate comment! very good

zerospam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been type 1 for 34 years. I find the Omnipod brilliant although haven't tried other systems. I shower with it, swim with it and find it comfortable.

tfishuk

I use the Omnipod along with Dexcom CGM and find both very easy to use, in fact if it wasn't for the alarm telling me to change pods every three days I think I would forget I was using a pump it is so brilliant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some hosp only offer 1 pump!!

A few of us will remember just 6 years ago people being more worried about the colour of the pump skin or the case than the functionality!!

It seems a life time ago as there were so few of us on them.

I would agree that it is an individual choice depending on life style but the most important things like cgm compatability; remote bolus or removing pump all the tome are hugely important.