Question please!! Any help would be appreciated!!

hayleemiller

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me and give me some advice please? would be very greatful! For the past month and a half i have been drinking and going the toilet more than usual but these past 2 weeks have been hell with all of the toilet trips! I have started now going every hour literally having to run as my bladder is full and even today i went 3 times in an hour.. Its upsetting me and becoming a nusience in how much im having to go now.. Im also having the urge to drink alot more than i usually would as my mouth feels like cotton wool even after ive drank a glass of juice or water! I was wondering if i could be diabetic? Im not extremely overweight for my height im 5ft 5 and about 11st (ish) im 26 and have 3 kids and never suffered with diabetes whilst i was pregnant nor do i have anyone in my family with diabetes. Ive been reading all other reasons for all my toilet trips but it sorta rules majority of them out as ive been checked for water infections only last week and i wasnt born with a small bladder etc.. Is it worth me going for a diabetes test? thanks for your time. Hayley

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's best that you go and visit your GP and explain your symptoms, sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @hayleemiller - welcome to the site, it's impossible for anyone here to give you advice on this, so I would suggest you put your mind at rest and book an apt with your GP.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes, as the others said, we can't diagnose you so please visit your GP as soon as you can and ask for the diabetes diagnosis test (HbA1c test) which will confirm matters one way or another. I hope you get this sorted, and have a positive outcome. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Polyuria (peeing a lot) and polydypsia (drinking a lot) can be symptoms of diabetes and to my mind is the most likely so you need to see your doctor as others have said.

My advice (which you don't have to take) would be to tell him/her the symptoms and let him/her make the diagnosis. There have been one or two cases where the patient has gone to the surgery and mentioned diabetes and asking for treatment. It seems to get up the nose of doctors when the patient comes in with a diagnosis of their own.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me and give me some advice please? would be very greatful! For the past month and a half i have been drinking and going the toilet more than usual but these past 2 weeks have been hell with all of the toilet trips! I have started now going every hour literally having to run as my bladder is full and even today i went 3 times in an hour.. Its upsetting me and becoming a nusience in how much im having to go now.. Im also having the urge to drink alot more than i usually would as my mouth feels like cotton wool even after ive drank a glass of juice or water! I was wondering if i could be diabetic? Im not extremely overweight for my height im 5ft 5 and about 11st (ish) im 26 and have 3 kids and never suffered with diabetes whilst i was pregnant nor do i have anyone in my family with diabetes. Ive been reading all other reasons for all my toilet trips but it sorta rules majority of them out as ive been checked for water infections only last week and i wasnt born with a small bladder etc.. Is it worth me going for a diabetes test? thanks for your time. Hayley
Why wouldn't you do a simple blood test to find out? Many diabetics are not overweight & do not have a family history.

SJElsey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't have family history and I am not overweight in fact I have lost a lot of weight, diagnosed 16 months ago with type 2 steroid induced diabetes, cannot come off of the steroids as long term on them which GP said has caused this, running
on high B G all of the time, normal fasting but then up it goes for the day and back to around 12 at night, that's low for me, which I knew of others with this problem.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
I don't have family history and I am not overweight in fact I have lost a lot of weight, diagnosed 16 months ago with type 2 steroid induced diabetes, cannot come off of the steroids as long term on them which GP said has caused this, running
on high B G all of the time, normal fasting but then up it goes for the day and back to around 12 at night, that's low for me, which I knew of others with this problem.

I was answering your question...could you be diabetic? ...my reply was yes, you could be...(even though you stated you are NOT overweight or have family history)......it seemed like you were saying that since you do not have excess weight or family history that you could not be diabetic.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Why wouldn't you do a simple blood test to find out? Many diabetics are not overweight & do not have a family history.

Many people don't have the meter needed for that simple blood test.

Reactions: Freema

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Many people don't have the meter needed for that simple blood test.
The question the poster asked was "Is it worth me going for a diabetes test"? I don't think not having the meter is the case for the poster.

SJElsey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The doctors are now saying there is no need to do finger pricks for type 2 but it does help in one way to keep check on things but in another way it can scare you if the readings are high, I bought one and it always reads lower than the one from the doctor but if I use my own I have to buy the strips.
Yes I am definitely diabetic but it's Steroid induced not food but still have to be careful

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctors are now saying there is no need to do finger pricks for type 2 but it does help in one way to keep check on things but in another way it can scare you if the readings are high, I bought one and it always reads lower than the one from the doctor but if I use my own I have to buy the strips.
Yes I am definitely diabetic but it's Steroid induced not food but still have to be careful

no matter what caused ones diabetes it is equally important to take control and know where ones blood glucose is in daily life as it is the high blood glucose /or insuline that does the damage in ones body and gives the higher risk of all kinds of horrible diseases and amputations...
steroid induced diabetes is in no way less dangerous than diabetes from other causes

Reactions: GrantGam

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

Knowledge of your FBS's & PP's, especially when introducing a new food, will always keep you informed. Do you "have" to do finger sticks? No it's not going to cure your illness, but it will allow you to have way more control, & that keeps deadly complications from being an issue.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening, appreciate any help, been put back on SR again as they want me to try it again but no matter what I do can't get my bgs down in mornings. Can be anythink between 7+ to 8+. Been like this for few weeks, Any advice/suggestions pls. Been ringing surgery to get to talk to DN but no luck, fobbed of with will call me, still waiting, bgs generally elevated all day. Thanks

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
! I was wondering if i could be diabetic? Hayley
Hayley, I'm so glad you reached out!
Please do not wait any longer to go see a doctor. These are CLASSIC symptoms of diabetes, although they may be an indicator of other conditions.
If you are drinking and going this much, do not hesitate. I can't stress that enough. Your body is trying to tell you something and you must listen and take care.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening, appreciate any help, been put back on SR again as they want me to try it again but no matter what I do can't get my bgs down in mornings. Can be anythink between 7+ to 8+. Been like this for few weeks, Any advice/suggestions pls. Been ringing surgery to get to talk to DN but no luck, fobbed of with will call me, still waiting, bgs generally elevated all day. Thanks
If you're having carbs at night or anything with hidden sugars (like spaghetti sauce), it might contribute to a rise in bg by morning. When I start the day with a high bg, I pretty much stay high all day unless I do something drastic like increase my insulin or eat only salads for the day. I'm a T1 so I don't know if you'll be different, but you might try going super low carb especially at night and see if it helps.

Reactions: maureen5752

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive drank a glass of juice or water
Stop drinking juice - if you have blood glucose issues going on, juice or sweetened beverages are probably the worst thing you can do for your body. Stick with the water instead!

Hotpepper20000

For me the only thing that helped with bringing my Morning BG down was fasting.
The last couple weeks I have been high again. A few days of very low carb and fasting from 7pm till 1 in the afternoon the next day, brings my FB down.

Reactions: maureen5752