5.3!!

banjo brunette

Been to the diabetic clinic at my local hospital today and my hbA1c was 5.3 - last one six months ago (and just before i started low-carbing) was 6.2, so no HUGE change. Triglycerides were 2, down from 2.7. The consultant has given me an honourable discharge :D She thought the low-carbing was great but went a bit pale when I mentioned my cheese, cream and butter intake :mrgreen:
Hooray!!!!!!
Cheers, BB :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done banjo! :D

Nigel

banjo brunette

Hi Nigel
Thanks. I was pretty chuffed with myself as I walked out of the hospital, then I found that I'd left my bus pass in my other handbag and didn't have enough for the bus fare home so I had to walk 20 minutes into town (uphill), This did loads of good for my exercise plan and I pretty much floated on a happy, fluffy little cloud all the way :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi banjo,

A 20 min walk uphill is nothing! :lol:

I bet people were passing by and wondering why you had a big grin on your face as you were walking! :D

As I say, good results, now its time to work on that memory of yours............ :shock: :lol:

Nigel

Dobbs

but going from 6.2 to 5.3 IS a huge change!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
you've gone from being good to being ideal - that's quite something.
well done you!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Banjo,
Your results are nothing short of AMAZING, in just 6 months!!!! Come on! Give yourself BIG congratulations for moving into a "normal" range. You have dramatically improved your chances to avoid complications.
You have to love the good things that low carbing brings to us like cream, butter and cheese while you watch your cholesterol levels improve!
Alison

banjo brunette

Thanks all.
I have to say that the husband is low-carbing with me, which has kept us both on the straight and narrow AND I would never have had the guts to low-carb in the first place (SO contradicts everything one is told to do by Diabetes UK, dietitians, etc) if I hadn't discovered this place. o thanks again to all of you - couldn't have done it without you :)

Wendyanne

Dislikes
Not being able to eat milk chocolate any more
Hi BB,Well done in getting your levels down and being signed off from the diabetic clinic. :)

I am due for the results of my second HbA1c since being diagnosed in January this year and am hoping and praying that with my 29lb weight loss my blood levels have gone down slightly.I have been following a low Gi diet plus have been on Metformin which I know has helped :) If the results are not good then I am definetley going to try low carbing and have already got the two carb books that are often written about on here but as yet,have just been reading and learning from them.It was such a shock to see just how many carbs are in a lot of our every day foods :shock:

If you get some time could you possibley write down a typical days meals of low carbs so that I can get at least some idea as to what I am aiming for and what I can and can't eat. :)

banjo brunette

29lbs? Wow, well done. I don't know what you're already eating low-carb-wise but it seems to be working :D :D :D

In our house we tend to go for leafy veg and meat with butter/cheese for extra flavour for dinner; mixed salad with some sort of protein and an oil/vinegar or mayo dressing for lunch; and my husband has a bacon, mushroom and two egg omelette with cream for breakfast. I tried an eggy breakfast for a while but eggs aren't really my thing so I swing between cheese and sliced meat, and Greek yoghurt and summer berries for breakfast. We don't generally eat potatoes, pasta, bread, etc.

I bought a couple of low-carb recipe books at the start but found loads of low-carb recipes here and on the internet generally. We try to eat very low carb (about 30 g per day at the very most).

I have to say that I don't need too much encouragement to carry on eating like this (six months so far...) as everything is so yummy...

Let us know how you get on.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Well done BB for those fantastic numbers, inspirational.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Well done BB great results you have shown that with the right diet diabetes can be kept in check :D

Regards
Graham

Wendyanne

Dislikes
Not being able to eat milk chocolate any more
Hi BB,Sorry to be slow in getting back to you but I have a trapped nerve in my shoulder and can't sit on the computer for too long as I am in agony.Just waiting to book up for some Physio to hopefully release it :shock:

I went last Friday to get the results of my HbA1c blood test and to see the Diabetic nurse and she has said that the levels are down to 6.3 through the Metformin and 31lb{I went down to 31lb after posting my other post}weight loss :)

She said I am a model patient for getting to grips with this diesease and for getting my blood levels down to a good level in such a short space of time,and has told me to go away,enjoy the summer and she doesn't want to see me for six months :lol: As long as I carry on with my Metformin and low fat/Gi diet the nurse said I should be ok for the foreseable future :)

The nurse said she wished all her patients were like me as a lot of them have just carried on eating the same as before diagnosis,and just think that they can have lots of different drugs to put the problem right....Wrong.I have friends{men} who are type2 who have just buried their heads in the sand hoping the problem will just go away but they don't seem to realise that with the help of their wives and partners to try and get them to eat a sensible diet that they wouldn't now be going blind,having toes amputated :shock: or laser treatment done on their eyes,and these people are not very old people {in their 40's and 50's} so still have lots of life ahead of them

I was quiet depressed when first diagnosed in January of this year and was quiet suicidal at times,but now the results are in I can at least sleep a bit better,but know that I can never ever go back to being a chocoholic or just eating high quantities of carbs without any side effects.

Sorry for the long post,but thanks for reading it :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Wendyanne said:
I went last Friday to get the results of my HbA1c blood test and to see the Diabetic nurse and she has said that the levels are down to 6.3

Well done Wendyanne! :D 8)

banjo brunette

Hi WendyAnne
Well done you. I know what it's like - I was really depressed when I got Diabetes for my 40th birthday (diamonds would have been nicer :D ) but really, there's nothing like thinking about what MIGHT happen if you don't take yourself in hand for keeping you on the straight and narrow! I just wish most profoundly that I'd found this forum a couple of years earlier. Keep up the good work...