does low carb cause hypothyreoidism and increased cortisol?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you take the first three articles, at least one of them is selling a diet protocol to fix Thyroid issues, so I'd always be tempted to take an article like that with a pinch of salt.

Hopefully that's a pinch of iodized salt Tim. ;)

Anyway, forum replies of the type "just google it" are seldom worth the bandwidth to post them in my opinion.

FaithinOK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I kusy watched a video on dietdoctor.com yesterday where he asked lots of docs...they all said LCHF has no effect on thyroid for better or worse.

W

WithoutSugar

I kusy watched a video on dietdoctor.com yesterday where he asked lots of docs...they all said LCHF has no effect on thyroid for better or worse.

I hope so.

But to be honest, I expect some kind of downregulation of receptors/enzymes/genes.

Carbs are available in nature and I am not sure if we are meant to be completely deprived of carbs.

Weren't fruits part of ancient diet? And fruits are available in winter too (eg oranges, etc)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The fruits that were available to our ancient ancestors bore no resemblance to the fruit you get today which has been bred and altered to be giant sugar packages. A wild apple looks much like its close relative, the rose hip. Very low in sugars.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed @chalup. I also think a lot depends on where our ancestors spent most of their time. As someone with a Northern European ancestry, I somehow doubt that I would thrive on a diet of tropical fruit.

Reactions: chalup
W

WithoutSugar

good point chalup
havent thought of it

but again, why we evolved to crave sugar?
if sugar has no benefit to us plus its harmful?
nature rarely makes such mistakes

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found on lchf my meds were more potent. Levothyroxine too.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
good point chalup
havent thought of it

but again, why we evolved to crave sugar?
if sugar has no benefit to us plus its harmful?
nature rarely makes such mistakes
I believe we evolved to crave sugar because it makes us want to eat fruits in season. When our ancestors had the chance to get those nutrients they needed. But that season was short and the amounts of sugar was small. The fruits we have today that are closest to how nature made them are berries. And berries are the one fruit most low carbers can have.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We also didn't evolve in the environment we are currently living in. When we evolved, the only available sugars were honey or fruit which were eaten depending on season and availability. Gathering honey is quite a dangerous occupation and not something that was done every day. Evolution and nature could never have accounted for us being surrounded by sugar 24x7 as we are today - only our own stupidity could dream up that fake an environment to live in :D

W

WithoutSugar

Even though fruits had less carbs in the past, it is still strange why we crave sugar.

Ofcourse, we may also crave heroin, which also destroys us and also it's not natural, but there must be some logic behind sugar.

W

WithoutSugar

According to Rosedale, this is an important piece of information, because if you embark on a ketogenic, high-fat, low net carb diet you may notice your thyroid hormone levels going down, which may raise concerns about thyroid disease. Such concerns are unwarranted (as long as your TSH level is normal). In fact, this is a much healthier state, Rosedale says.

“You’re running cooler, allocating more resources toward maintenance, repair, and longevity,” he says. “It’s not thyroid disease ... because TSH did not go up, which is how you define hypothyroidism.”