Allergic reaction/infection help/advice! DESPERATE!!

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
So I am on an insulin pump and have been for 3 years. I have always had problems when using the tenderlink cannula's (teflon based) which unfortunately are the only ones I can use in my stomach. Needing to give my legs a rest I used a tenderlink in my stomach twice last week, managing 12 hours with each before having to take them out. I suffered the worst reactions I have had although both of these have now cleared up. However I took a rapid D out of my leg on Saturday and the site has got worse and worse since. It is currently red hot, really inflamed with a limp that seems to be getting bigger and incredibly sore to the point I'm actually struggling to walk. I have an appointment tomorrow but it isn't til 3pm and I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar and found anything to help soothe it? I've been in bed a few hours and can't sleep because of it

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I've already tried this and it's not helping :( I've literally never had a site go this bad ever!

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I've just put some germolene on it - will see how that goes but I'm not overly hopeful as I think it's more of a problem under the skin if you know what I mean? It feels a little bit like it does when you get an under the skin spot with the pressure building up underneath only 100x worae! I fell asleep and just woke up and there's tracking down my leg now as well so I know that really i should call Ooh to get it seen but my little boy is in bed and I don't want to have to get him up at this time

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I've just put some germolene on it - will see how that goes but I'm not overly hopeful as I think it's more of a problem under the skin if you know what I mean? It feels a little bit like it does when you get an under the skin spot with the pressure building up underneath only 100x worae! I fell asleep and just woke up and there's tracking down my leg now as well so I know that really i should call Ooh to get it seen but my little boy is in bed and I don't want to have to get him up at this time

@AlexandraMarnie89 Phone 111 for advice or go to A and E. It sounds nasty. Your little boy needs you fit and well so if it is a nasty infection, the quicker you're seen the better.

Take care and I hope you're feeling better soon. X

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you get anywhere? If it is difficult can you get to a chemist to ask them to take a look and give advice. Preferably a doctor but its easier to get into a chemist without any notice.

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I managed to get in to see a gp yesterday (they had booked me in with a nurse which was no good). They gave me double strength flucloxicillin but they have made me really sick and my key has ballooned up even more I'm on my way in to hospital now for iv antibiotics and very probably treatment for ketosis as it has cause me to have ketones at 7.9 My insulin pump now terrifies me! I don't get it...I haven't done anything any different and have never had anything like this before

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hope you get treated at a&e ok.. and will be feeling better soon.
Please let us know...

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys! Leg has been drained - I have cellulitis and apparently it's fairly common with insulin pump users! I'm allowed to go home but have to go into hospital every morning to have my antibiotics via IV. They've said that looking at it I'm going to need an operation and my leg packing! I'll never leave it hoping that it will just go by itself again!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh my gosh.. thats a helluva side effect not been mentioned to me!
I hope you can feel better soon. Thinking of you...

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They let me home yesterday...came back in at 5am today with full blown DKA today because of the infection! Anyone else get that "what's the point in trying" feeling?!! I see my friends with T1 eating **** and really not looking after themselves yet I end up with dka when I'm checking my levels constantly!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh poor you... yes, I know of situ similar. I know of a huge T1 that eats **** and in pub majority if evenings etc and I am OTT and go thru hell and he just gets away with it.

It does make me wonder whether it is all worth it...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Opsrating on what?

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My leg to remove the infection! it is so so so painful! Came out of theatre a couple of hours ago

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How are you getting on?