help with my 9 year old

neillv6

Hi, my son who is 9years old has was diagnosed with diabetes back in june 2008 and has been an emotional roller coaster. Over the last couple of months hes been getting worse with his moods swings and is contantly wanting to run away.

He blames us for his diabetes and the other day he said to my wife he wishes that he was never born, and that we know he was going to have diabetes before he was even born. Weve spoke to our diabetes nurse but she said dont worry about it.

I really dont know what to do, he seems so depressed at the moment.

He has also started being very sneaky with sweets, we have two other children who were bought some eggs for easter and they went missing. We later found the eggs and lots of sweet wrappers under his bed.

Where are we going wrong? Its so tiring and we just feel like theres nobody to help us

thanks

leggott

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your little boy. Having children is challenging at the best of times, let alone when you throw a medical condition like diabetes into the mix.

I have 3 children as well, 2 of which have type 1. Generally they are well controlled but I find that they can be very moody if their blood sugars are elevated and also when their readings are volatile. My husband also has diabetes and I notice that he gets a bit short tempered when he is in the low 4's ( i can pick up on these warning signs before he does). You haven't mentioned whether your son has good control, but I suspect if he is eating things behind your back and not taking insulin to accommodate this, then his blood sugars may be high prior to meal times.

With regard Easter I don't know what you allowed your son, but mine did have a couple of eggs which they had with their meal (as a pudding). We don't really have many foods off limits, but tend to give treats as part of a meal, rather than as a snack. It is very difficult though especially when you have other children in the house. My 2 even get jealous of each other if one of them has a jelly baby because their bg is on the low side!

It sounds like your son is finding it hard to accept his condition. Speak with your DN about the issues you are facing and she can make sure that your son and you get the support you need. Hope you can resolve these issues soon. Leggott

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Neill,
I have an 11yr old son whos been diabetic for 4yrs, it does get easier and were the same as Leggott, no food is off limits. That way they don't want what there not allowed, everything in moderation and carb counting and adjusting insulin is a God send.
If you let us now what regime he is on, we maybe able to help and direct you in allowing little treats. Perhaps the absence of sweets is whats making him rebel so much, just a thought.
Take care,
Suzi x

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi ya, sorry to hear your son is having a hard time of it, to echo what others have said, moody behaviour can be put down to high and/or low BG levels so it's important to test as much as he can tolerate........as for restricting Eater Eggs, were you advised to do that? have you done a carb counting course? do you adapt his insulin intake depending on what he is eating? Obviously, no child should be allowed to eat 3 Eggs in one sitting (my daughter isn't allowed and she isn't Diabetic!) but half an Egg or a whole small one at Easter should be ok, as long as it's treated as a treat, carbs are counted and appropriate insulin is dosed. I tend to eat the sweets that come with the Egg one day, then half the egg the next and so on, until it's gone! If you weigh the egg you can calculate the carbs really specifically, especially if it's a Cadbury or Galaxy egg as they give you the carb qtys on the box too :D Good luck with it all!

Deborah