Another newbie.

LivingLoud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Things I should
Hello @midschick1 , @1954jessy , I've been checking in with the forums for 6 weeks now. Everyday I learn something new.

Keep reading, you're doing all the right things. Knowledge is power!!

Wow, read your footnote. Seems we're lucky to have you on our side.. Thank you.

thanks, i just decided i'd had enough of the way things are and it was time to fight back

Reactions: Prem51

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am now moving on to 1 metformin tablet twice a day. I am struggling with fatigue lack of concentration getting bad headaches and feeling depressed. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or is it just me.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are probably still in shock and that could make you feel depressed. The Metformin may make you feel a bit ****** until you are used to it most common side effect is tummy upset but it can be almost anything...for me it was total loss of appetite I was not eating enough and I have never been overweight but I lost weight that I did not need to I had to get it down with my doctors advice to 500mg once a day to be able to have a normal appetite again. There is slow release version that may suit you better so if you have to many problems that do not settle after a couple of weeks ask your doctor to change you to the slow release one. You are doing all the right things now so keep that up and you will feel better about it.

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am now moving on to 1 metformin tablet twice a day. I am struggling with fatigue lack of concentration getting bad headaches and feeling depressed. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or is it just me.

Hi, your symptoms might be in part the metformin, in part other causes.
I strongly suggest you to get a flash glucose monitor or a continuous glucose monitor. It is an investment, but it will pay you off by a lot.
Get to know yourself. Read the forums. You can change completely your future by devising a plan for reversal along with your physician. Cheers !

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Hi @midschick1, stick with us and you'll be fine. As ever, people here have already given you loads of excellent advice, so I won't repeat what they said. So happy that your blood sugar is coming down.

Did you know you can get a Vitamin D3 spray, which you spray under your tongue? I don't know whether it's available on the NHS or not but it may mean one less tablet a day.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a new member and was diagnosed with diabetes just 7 days ago. It is still sinking in. I have other issues medical such a vitamin D deficiency, anaemia and I have hit early menopause too. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago. My doctor and diabetic nurse have been amazing and are giving me great support but think I may be a type 1 not 2 diabetic. I am currently on Metformin 1 tablet a day for 1 week moving to 2 next week. I am also on Vitamin D and iron tablets. Both my mother and farther had and have diabetes. My mum died 3 1/2 years ago due to her having heart problem brought on by uncontrolled diabetes she was 73. I found the website by chance but now feel I have somewhere to go to gain help for people who live with diabetes.:):)
I went through an early menopause at 39 - I wonder if early menopause and diabetes are related?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went through an early menopause at 39 - I wonder if early menopause and diabetes are related?
I went through what I was told was early onset menopause at 37. My hormones were checked and had suddenly dropped to post menopausal levels. From absolutely regular to nothing in 4 weeks. It is now 11 years later and my first visit to a endocrinologist and he told me most of my annoying symptoms were menopause. I said I am done menopause. He then told me that what I had done was premature ovarian failure and that I now at 49 have to go through menopause again because now I am the right age for it?. What the ????? I was diagnosed with menopause and diabetes on the same doctors appointment. Needless to say that was a rough day. I can't say if they are related but I would not be at all surprised. This same endo went on to tell me that I would never be able to lose weight or control my sugars and that he was putting me on victoza while I waited for bariatric surgery. This despite a 30 pound weight loss and an A1c of 5.8. This was the first time he ever met me. He will never meet me again.

Reactions: ziggy_w

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He sounds like a Delight! I find it hard to believe if you've been through a menopause at 37 (like me) you'd go through it again at 48/49?? Bizarre and I hope he is wrong for both our sakes lol.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt like that until I decided to take control and get to the doctors. Been about 3 wks now and I just have the odd rough day.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Just some input.
Why go on medications before you try to control blood sugars w/ a low carb diet & exercise?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
He sounds like a Delight! I find it hard to believe if you've been through a menopause at 37 (like me) you'd go through it again at 48/49?? Bizarre and I hope he is wrong for both our sakes lol.
I hope he is too. 10 years of hot flashes and night sweats that have finally gone away. I don't even want to think about doing it all again lol.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went through what I was told was early onset menopause at 37. My hormones were checked and had suddenly dropped to post menopausal levels. From absolutely regular to nothing in 4 weeks. It is now 11 years later and my first visit to a endocrinologist and he told me most of my annoying symptoms were menopause. I said I am done menopause. He then told me that what I had done was premature ovarian failure and that I now at 49 have to go through menopause again because now I am the right age for it?. What the ????? I was diagnosed with menopause and diabetes on the same doctors appointment. Needless to say that was a rough day. I can't say if they are related but I would not be at all surprised. This same endo went on to tell me that I would never be able to lose weight or control my sugars and that he was putting me on victoza while I waited for bariatric surgery. This despite a 30 pound weight loss and an A1c of 5.8. This was the first time he ever met me. He will never meet me again.

WOW, the ego on the man. Welldone on you achievements so far. What a story, What exactly is the "right age". I'm 49 too, and I've no idea what's going on with me, all over the place, every month a new adventure. Good luck to the future. Life begins at 50!!:cat:

Reactions: chalup

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mokkijo I have more than the diabetes and medical issue. I have been a long term diabetic on diet control but undiagnosed. I have also hit early menopause and had gallbladder surgery. Trust me I would be happier if I could continue to be diet controlled but I can't. Thank you for you input but this isn't something that I have gone into lightly believe me.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lisajohamn2014 thanks for the advice. The fatigue seems to be easing and I have lost 1/2 this week.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lisajohamn2014 thanks for the advice. The fatigue seems to be easing and I have lost 1/2 this week.
Whoop whoop that's excellent !! How much so far?
Its been my turn to have a couple of days with the cba syndrome! and fedupitis. Think the big D has been in my thoughts most of the time for weeks if not months.
Decided a much needed catch up with family and friends is in need and organised a few outings. So I feel better in mood now.
How's it going for you?
Take care
Lisa