Pregnancy: Concerned Type1 Mum To Be

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered I am pregnant. I am 27 and have been a type 1 diabetic for 10+ years but I have had extremely poor control for most of the time I have been diabetic.

About 8 months ago my hba1c was 119 and I was really ill but I got a new consultant and man aged to reduce it over 5 months or so to 52.

I attended my first appointment with the midwife (well actually my second but they thought I was there for a pre pregnancy clinic the first time due to an incorrect referral and told me to come back the next week). They did my hba1c there and it was 53. I was quite pleased because it's a lot better than it was less than a year ago but the midwife and obstetrician didn't seem very pleased at all.

I am now completely stressed and worried that I have done irreparable damage. It's my first pregnancy. I'm 8w +5.

How concerned should I be?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've always found this forum to be extremely helpful so than you

Hayley xx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered I am pregnant. I am 27 and have been a type 1 diabetic for 10+ years but I have had extremely poor control for most of the time I have been diabetic.

About 8 months ago my hba1c was 119 and I was really ill but I got a new consultant and man aged to reduce it over 5 months or so to 52.

I attended my first appointment with the midwife (well actually my second but they thought I was there for a pre pregnancy clinic the first time due to an incorrect referral and told me to come back the next week). They did my hba1c there and it was 53. I was quite pleased because it's a lot better than it was less than a year ago but the midwife and obstetrician didn't seem very pleased at all.

I am now completely stressed and worried that I have done irreparable damage. It's my first pregnancy. I'm 8w +5.

How concerned should I be?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've always found this forum to be extremely helpful so than you

Hayley xx

I am not type 1 diabetics ... but I think you should stay happy for having gotten a much better control, and you will probably be even better now when having your baby to think of....

My daugther is made on pure glucose in my veins, a little saltwater and some hurting potassium liquid also in veins.and from eating my body.. as I couldn´t litteraly keep anything in me the last 6-7 month of my pregnancy, but my daughter turned out to be normal and even the normal weight ... you should of cause try to do the best you can and take all the nutrients they tell pregnants to eat and that you can... I don´t think you should worry too much..Maybe the nurse thinks if she doesn´t apear strickt you´ll just let go of control and eat all the wrong kind of things, but you know that is not the case...

Wish you luck with both your little baby and your pregnancy...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but do ask all the type 1´s in here how to be able to get an even tighter control and lower numbers... some are very very good at that and also in advicing others..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Propertyoflife Dont be stressed. Staying calm is important for both you and baby :)

You've done an absolutely fantastic job at reducing your HbA1C. Yes, 53 is slightly above what is desired BUT there's no need to panic as ladies here have had higher. I think the OB and midwife were just trying to impress on you the importance of very tight control during pregnancy.

Are you on a pump or injections?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many congratulations @Propertyoflife

Well done in getting your hba1c down. 53 is a little ver target, but really only a little - don't be too concerned about it now. Obviously it's important to strive for tight glucose control during pregnancy, seek advice from your DSN on what your blood sugar targets should be.

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Hayley @Propertyoflife

I am also type 1, 27 years old, had diabetes for 15 years (very poorly controlled before a year ago), brought my HbA1c right down ready for pregnancy and am now 8w+2 with my first.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HbA1c, it's a little over but I know of people who are diabetic and fell pregnant with much much worse HbA1c's and only started to control their sugars once they found out they were pregnant and now they have happy healthy lil babies. As long as you control them whilst pregnant now then I wouldn't worry (it's not good for baby ) have you been having a lot of lows? I have had them almost everyday, so frustrating

Are you on pump or injections? I am on a pump and find I have had better control on a pump than I ever got on injections. X

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Propertyoflife Dont be stressed. Staying calm is important for both you and baby :)

You've done an absolutely fantastic job at reducing your HbA1C. Yes, 53 is slightly above what is desired BUT there's no need to panic as ladies here have had higher. I think the OB and midwife were just trying to impress on you the importance of very tight control during pregnancy.

Are you on a pump or injections?

Hi @azure

Thanks! I am excited just worried now.

I am on injections. I was told a while ago that I might need a pump as I seem to suffer from dawn phenomenon but I wasn't eligible for one because I hadn't taken the adapt course yet. I was originally told I would have to wait 2 years for a place on the course to become available however my fiancé complained and they found me a place on one within a month. However that was cancelled and I have now been put back on a waiting list so not holding my breath.

Thanks for your post ☺

Xx

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Hayley @Propertyoflife

I am also type 1, 27 years old, had diabetes for 15 years (very poorly controlled before a year ago), brought my HbA1c right down ready for pregnancy and am now 8w+2 with my first.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HbA1c, it's a little over but I know of people who are diabetic and fell pregnant with much much worse HbA1c's and only started to control their sugars once they found out they were pregnant and now they have happy healthy lil babies. As long as you control them whilst pregnant now then I wouldn't worry (it's not good for baby ) have you been having a lot of lows? I have had them almost everyday, so frustrating

Are you on pump or injections? I am on a pump and find I have had better control on a pump than I ever got on injections. X

Hi @Pilzy-89

Thanks for your post ☺

Congratulations!!
I am on injections. I was told a while ago that I might need a pump as I seem to suffer from dawn phenomenon but I wasn't eligible for one because I hadn't taken the adapt course yet. I was originally told I would have to wait 2 years for a place on the course to become available however my fiancé complained and they found me a place on one within a month. However that was cancelled and I have now been put back on a waiting list so not holding my breath.
I have had a few lows either midday or through the night which was something that didn't happen before so I am testing a lot more than normal!! How are you funding eating just now?

Xc

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,
I have also recently found out i am pregnant I have been told i am 5 - 6 weeks having a early scan Tuesday so hopefully will find out how far we are then. think we are 6+1.
My Hba1c is 67 but like you I was sky high for years before hand, I am 27 and had diabetes for 15 years now.
Like you I suffer from the dawn phenomenon and for the past 3 years wake up every morning usually anywhere between 15 and 25!! I am also injecting, and cant seem to do anything for the dawn phenomenon which I think is affecting my overall Hba1c!
I have been referred for a pump as I told my diabetic nurse I wanted to start a family in the next few years I have my appointment on the 12th of December - I dont know if already being pregnant I will still be giving the pump or not?

Baby has come sooner than I expected so I am also feeling uneasy like you. Hopefully we will get some answers.
I would try to push for a pump next time you see your GP , I spoke to my Dafne nurse this week and she thinks pregnant women are one of the top priorities for a pump xx