What is this trickery

S

Shar67

I love cabbage and leaks
But a recipe I saw recently took it to far, by calling the dish cabbage steaks, really if you must call quorn a meat name then so be it but cabbage steak ain't cutting mustard (literally)
It reminds me of my dear departed mum, who would buy the family say a roast pork joint, I would be offered an extra piece of broccoli cos you know broccoli is the perfect substitute for a meat dish. In fact I was pretty hard done by as I have never been a cake person so mum would buy everyone a cake what would I get, go one guess

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

really if you must call quorn a meat name
Every day I pick up something new at this forum, I googled quorn and I find you can buy the stuff here in Australia. :D

Now if they made pasta out of that stuff, that would be great. :hungry:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I love cabbage and leaks
But a recipe I saw recently took it to far, by calling the dish cabbage steaks, really if you must call quorn a meat name then so be it but cabbage steak ain't cutting mustard (literally)
It reminds me of my dear departed mum, who would buy the family say a roast pork joint, I would be offered an extra piece of broccoli cos you know broccoli is the perfect substitute for a meat dish. In fact I was pretty hard done by as I have never been a cake person so mum would buy everyone a cake what would I get, go one guess
An orange? Oh no, probably another broccoli?

D

Deleted member 308541

You can make a sort of noodle using a spiral cutter - a Spiralizer, I think it is called, and various vegetables - not quite the same, but when there's a reason not to eat cereal.....
There must be a way to make pasta from almond flour, I will ask the chef at the bowls club bistro to see if he has made anything like it.

I have seen the spiralizer thingys, it would not be the same texture to my taste I am afraid.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone tried grated cauliflower fried until slightly brown and served as rice, with a curry or stew? I bought one to try that way but will probably actually steam it and serve with a creamy cheese sauce like usual.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried grated cauliflower fried until slightly brown and served as rice, with a curry or stew? I bought one to try that way but will probably actually steam it and serve with a creamy cheese sauce like usual.
I've done cauli-rice, but steamed, not fried. Good with fish.
I like cauliflower with cheese, but I use grated cheese, not sauce, to keep the carbs down.

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've done cauli-rice, but steamed, not fried. Good with fish.
I like cauliflower with cheese, but I use grated cheese, not sauce, to keep the carbs down.
Good tip. I use lowfat milk and whole wheat flour but BUTTER for the sauce so grated cheese would have fewer calories.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now if they made pasta out of that stuff, that would be great
Not quite, but sort of similar (and not sure if you can get it in Australia): https://www.betterthanfoods.com do rice and pasta substitutes with low carb contents. I have to say that I bought some ages ago, but never actually ate any as I was working on the idea that I wanted to enjoy food, not find alternatives for things I was no longer planning on eating. Anyway, I've been told that they have no flavour whatsoever.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good tip. I use lowfat milk and whole wheat flour but BUTTER for the sauce so grated cheese would have fewer calories.
I find that calories don't matter as much as they are thought to - the 'a calorie is a calorie' concept just doesn't add up for me. I found that I could lose weight eating low carb high fat and compared with a 'normal' diet, some foods must have had negative calories - which is of course, impossible. I am very new to living with diabetes, but did low carb for a long time which is probably why the diagnosis has only just been made. I only stopped low carb on doctors recomendation due to high colesterol readings, and in a year put on loads of weight so I am back on Atkins, cream in the coffee and no grain, no potatoes, no apples.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Watch uncooked veg on underactive thyroid. Enjoy!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Bottom line seems to be : steam, fry,bake, add herbs/spices but for veggies,don't boil to b*ggery!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup,strangely having that tonight. I add fried onions, mushrooms and some curry powder and serve with tikka masala. Yum. Even Andy doesn't feel like he's missing out on the rice.:joyful::hungry:

Visionar007

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'll point out vitamin K2, which prevents calcification of blood vessels and ensures storing calcium into bones, where it belongs. K2 is present in reasonable amounts only in cheeses from unpasteurized milk and fermented dairy, eggs and fermented soy products, with soy not being very healthy option.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

yup like @callyandy I do it with fried onions and mushrooms and curry, it's also pretty good with diced peppers and the other bits added with a beaten egg and spiced as per Chinese style fried rice.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fried in duck fat along with eggs, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes. Gammon fried in a different pan, now that's delicious and very low carb!
Cooked veg! Yuk!
You lot are weirder than me! (It is to me and I'm very weird!)

Don't count calories, if you want to count anything count carbs!

Reactions: callyandy

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I find that calories don't matter as much as they are thought to - the 'a calorie is a calorie' concept just doesn't add up for me. I found that I could lose weight eating low carb high fat and compared with a 'normal' diet, some foods must have had negative calories - which is of course, impossible. I am very new to living with diabetes, but did low carb for a long time which is probably why the diagnosis has only just been made. I only stopped low carb on doctors recomendation due to high colesterol readings, and in a year put on loads of weight so I am back on Atkins, cream in the coffee and no grain, no potatoes, no apples.

I have found that the old gall bladder and kidneys do not respond well to high protein and fat. I can do it for a day or two then need to reduce proteins for a few days to give them a rest. Calories do seem to matter a lot to me but I can eat more of them than I have been able to in the past. I have been diabetic for quite a long time and have other metabolic disorders as well but I applaud your current metabolic state-enjoy it while you have it! @Lamont D