Is microwave cooking bad for us?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to my mother (and one of the New Age Practitioners she used to get treatments from), microwaves destroy all the dynamic food value through radiation poisoning of some kind or another.

I admit that i didn't listen too hard to the details.
The guy determined this using a pendulum.

It looks like this article is just catching up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only microwave veggies in a ceramic steam pot, never plastic and never meat. There is so much controversy as to whether it enhances nutrients or destroys them. I will steam the veg then sauté them with my protein and fats. I used to NEVER microwave but sometimes it all gets to be too much so I decided to take the easy way out. Now you've got my wheels turning again. I eat green beans, mushrooms and broccoli almost every day so I could steam 2 or 3 days worth and then just saute to heat them up. Hmmm.... I interested in others thoughts

Reactions: callyandy

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I use a micro to make my porridge in the morning ... quick and convenient but since they first appeared I've been wary of them.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

I steam my veg in microwave I think it is important to follow instructions as food is still cooking when you take it out. I also do a fab clootie pudding.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Dark Horse

That's ten years ago meaning that research is probably around fifteen years old.
The study was from 2009, the WHO quote is from 2005. Measuring nutrient content of foods is fairly straightforward, so unless microwave ovens have changed substantially the findings are still valid.

The "global research" article appears to have been written by someone with quite poor grasp of the subject so I wouldn't take much heed of what they say. A quick browse of the website's other "science" articles suggests they are generally scaremongering.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've never had a microwave - not because we're Luddites or because we believe that our food will be poisoned by Martian Death Rays, but because we didn't have room for one in our first kitchen. Having survived for five years without one, we seem to have managed without, ever since, including bringing up two kids. With hindsight this probably involved us in some small extra effort but what you don't have, you don't miss. I have nothing against them and I think that food prepared in them is perfectly safe but we've just never gone down that path.

Juno80

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Nothing wrong with "nuked" food. The microwave basically excites the molecules in your food which produces heat, and it's the same thing that happens to that food when you cook it in a pan or pot or whatever, just the heat is created directly IN the food instead of transferred TO the food. Probably the worst explanation on the planet, but the point is basically there's no difference in the nutrient value of what you've cooked one way vs the other. Cooking on it's own however will change the nutrient value of certain foods, and it's a good idea not to over-cook fruit or veggies especially.

The real danger from microwave food is from cooking in plastic or synthetic materials which may leech chemicals into your food when heated. As long as you're cooking in ceramic or glass or other non-chemical/oil byproducts you will be fine.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
I admit that i didn't listen too hard to the details.
The guy determined this using a pendulum.

This made me laugh so much!

I really hope microwave cooking isn't too bad for you; the job I do means when I finish at silly o'clock in the evening, most days of the week I throw something in the microwave because I don't want/can't be bothered to cook!
I mean, I know it's hardly going to extend your life expectancy, or give you super powers...but so long as it doesn't kill me or give me cancer, I can deal!!

pablate

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
In today's lifestyle where there is no time for professionals, microwave saves a lot of time.:) :)

Last edited:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When we were first married Mrs DeeJay and I had ONLY a microwave and even that broke down with a Christmas turkey in it, so we had to dash up the road to borrow a real oven. Healthy roast turkey that year then!
Now my key cooking devices are a steamer, casserole pots and a small frying pan, but the microwave is always on the go at some stage of my culinary sorcery.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The Harvard University health report that I just read, stated the microwave shorter cooking times help retain nutrients in food. The report also stated that the microwave have an excellent safety record.
Personally I don't use micro since it broke down, use only convector

Last edited by a moderator:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We've never had a microwave - not because we're Luddites or because we believe that our food will be poisoned by Martian Death Rays, but because we didn't have room for one in our first kitchen. Having survived for five years without one, we seem to have managed without, ever since, including bringing up two kids. With hindsight this probably involved us in some small extra effort but what you don't have, you don't miss. I have nothing against them and I think that food prepared in them is perfectly safe but we've just never gone down that path.

I worked with a young lady who's aunt died from using a microwave, this was in the '90s and I'd just moved into my own little flat and was considering getting one. I asked how she died?, what of?... She was electrocuted!!! Hmmm. No value to this thread, just thought I'd share. :p

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This made me laugh so much!

I really hope microwave cooking isn't too bad for you; the job I do means when I finish at silly o'clock in the evening, most days of the week I throw something in the microwave because I don't want/can't be bothered to cook!
I mean, I know it's hardly going to extend your life expectancy, or give you super powers...but so long as it doesn't kill me or give me cancer, I can deal!!

I'm a bit like you colourwise, only purple's my undoing!! :p