Doctors changing my meter

Dazzyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is probably a HUGE thread here somewhere regarding this, but who else is being palmed off with cheap meters/test strips?
I've been more than happy with my Contour XT USB meters - I have two I purchased myself. They are compact, can connect to my Mac for data download easily and allow me to check a host of functions.
About 3 years ago my last doctors (moved just recently) tried to palm me off the True Result meter. When I tested it against my Contour meters it was +/- 1mmol different... My Contour meters for instance would be displaying 7.1 and the TR would say anything from 6 - 8. Now I'm no expert but that seems a BIG discrepancy. Upon showing evidence to my doctor he reverted me to the Contour test strips.
My new doctor has said "no way"... I've discussed it with her - for starters the new meter is MASSIVE, it's almost as big as my hand, it cannot download data for analysis, they'll only give me one whereas I currently have one at home and one at work, and my concern with accuracy was poo-poo'd.
I realise that this is all about cost-cutting, odd how my local PCT has re-branded recently. I wonder if there is anything behind that that is causing cost-cutting now...

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say, Type 2s are not generally given a meter and prescribed test strips unless on medications that increase insulin production or, in fact, on insulin. Most Type 2s are told that 'Type 2s don't need to test' although, needless to say, Type 2s very much need to test.

You haven't said what medications you are prescribed so you may well fall into this category, or course.

The general feeling is that this is likely to be down to saving money, as you have mentioned. I would think there would be a lot to do with the surgery changing what they prescribe as any deals with the manufacturers/pharaceutical companies that may be available will have a huge influence as to what is available for prescription.

I do hope you sort out your issue very soon.

C

catherinecherub

Unless you are on hypo inducing medications or insulin then you are lucky to be prescribed a meter.
Most Type2s have to fund their own and would be happy with any meter and test strips supplied to them.

Dazzyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was prescribed a meter (Bayer Contour) over 10 years ago and currently on Lantus, Victoza, Linagliptin as well as several BP meds, one of which (amlodipine) I'm stopping because I have developed an arrhythmia (listed side-effect and odd now my quack "forgot" to tell me it was statin-based...). My hospital consultant wants me to test three times a day. I've tried low-card diet about 3 years ago but have discovered that I can only stick at it for around 5 or six months before I start craving Carbs BIG TIME:(

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of mine's doctor recently tried to change his meter but he protested and said he has arthritis in his fingers so could not manage the new meter and the doctor said oh that's different stay with the one you have. :)