What do you miss most from being diabetic

Debbie_r_57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What do you eat though , I have cut down on bread and very seldom eat pasta or rice . I can't get my head what is healthy and what is not

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yoga, exercise when and how much I want.

Being able to have a few bites of food like a couple bites of nachos without the chips and coming home to discover my bs has shot up and need a big correction that makes me feel awful.

Real life in general.

Bad day today. Lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Nothing because I still have every thing I had before but now I've got more like a slimmer body a better diet a new hobby collecting blood sugar meters a pile of used test strips on my desk (must clear that away later) hiking boots and the best forum on the planet.

Reactions: SWUSA_ and hankjam

cloudreader72

proper italian pizza, the thin and crispy type. I asked the owner how much bread is in each of them and he said about 120gr, ocasionally I indulge, trying to leave the outer borders.
If anybody misses cookies, try this simple recipe: Mix 250gr of smooth peanut butter, 40gr of sugar equivalent sweetener (10 saccarin pills the sort you use to sweeten a coffee, diluted in a bit of hot water will do), 1 egg, 50gr of coconut oil (warm it first so it is liquid), 2 tea spoons of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of salt (very important). Make 12 cookies, and bake at 160C for 12 minutes, let them cool down completely so they solidify

Reactions: SWUSA_

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I miss being able to live without thinking about every single decision I make
be it food , insulin dose , exercise , am I stressed , have I remembered or forgotten a pill , injection , an appointment .................................

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Its like having to nuture and train a toddler.... no let up unless asleep.
Dn seems to think I'm too intense about my care. I don't, I have 2 young children to cater for, with or without me.
As soon as I relax my stance I get double figures. :(
I miss not having to manually re-order insulin and other prescriptional goods. My repeat prescription is all messed up and no one at gp practice can tidy it up. I'm awaiting for the 2 new trainees to be more experienced.

AC-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I miss not being able to not have to worry about blood sugar levels and I miss not being able to leave the house without a huge bag instead of a small clutch bag oh and my working pancreas!!!

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
What do you eat though , I have cut down on bread and very seldom eat pasta or rice . I can't get my head what is healthy and what is not
I will tag @daisy1 for you. She will send some basic info that we send all newcomers. Also there are threads where we list what we do eat. "What have you eaten today?" etc.

D

Deleted member 308541

I miss eating bread with every meal, old habits are very hard to break.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lidl´s walnut icecreme ... but it is filled with also glucose and sugar ...but I low the taste

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
pecan brittle like my grandma used to make with butter, sugar and fresh shelled pecans. Then, in the winter, she would make snow ice cream from the fresh fallen snow and the cream on top of the milk bottles which we'd save up and a small amount of sugar then after we had stirred and set the snow cream a couple times we would break up the pecan brittle and mix it in quick

wow such sweet memories you have

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not actually miss but instead rejoice in the lack of: frequent migraines, living in a brain dead zombie like state, the pressure to eat unhealthy low fat sugary products, and being able to insist to a carboholic husband that I must eat my previous far healthier diet. Those have far outweighed any minor peeves such as not being able to eat certain things or the inconveniences of now having to remember to test at the right times...

Robbity

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Its like having to nuture and train a toddler.... no let up unless asleep.
Dn seems to think I'm too intense about my care. I don't, I have 2 young children to cater for, with or without me.
As soon as I relax my stance I get double figures. :(
I miss not having to manually re-order insulin and other prescriptional goods. My repeat prescription is all messed up and no one at gp practice can tidy it up. I'm awaiting for the 2 new trainees to be more experienced.

I stood over mine with eveything I had until they got it right recently. The computer was telling them in October I couldn't have anything until January 2017 when I was on a monthly repeated prescription. I do appreciate my healthcare providers, on the whole, but not their systems.

I miss the days when I din't see a GP from one year's end to the next and on the rare occasion I had to, apart from weight, they would grumble I had no right to be producing healthy results. (Blood pressure was the one which outraged one GP.)

But, now it's more or less all under control for now, I miss very little other than this and the freedom to walk into a eatery and eat whatever I like when I'm out. The lunch box always goes with me now, with a midday lunch and extra snacks. It's routine now, but drove me mad the first few months.

That's my new freedom - to go out and do what I like for as long as I like, knowing there's going to be no stress about whether or not I can find easy food which won't send me high.

Kevin10320

I was thinking about this last night. The first things that came into my mind were actually bread and biscuits. Then I thought, blimey I haven't actually missed having chocolate!

A

asparagusp

When I go to IKEA it's usually because I crave a slice of their apple cake although it's not really that sweet and has cinnamon! It was my birthday yesterday and I was sorely tempted, but didn't go just in case ..... ! lol