17 and Alone

Lauzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I'm 17 and was diagnosed 3 and a half years ago! I don't know anyone at all with type 1 and feel so alone, could use a diabetes buddy I guess? someone to rant with and not have to sugar coat everything and hopefully someone to relate to. Ive not had the best experience with diabetes. Drop me a message:wacky:

Attachments

• TAMN4103.jpg
    TAMN4103.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 787

Aloha1816

Hi Laura,

Admittedly not your age group anymore but got it when I was 15.

My advice nowadays would be get freestyle libre/dexcom for a bit of time, all the time if you can afford it, and go on a low carb diet and then it should be quite easy and you can let it slack more when you go to parties etc.

Also download carbs&cals app and attend a DAFNE course.

All the best.

Issymac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, I'm 19 and has had it for 8 years and I no exactly what you mean with the have no one to talk to who really understands about it
So I'm here if you want to rant

Reactions: Robkww and azure

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed Type1 age 13 im now 62 with no complications i got married age24 and my wife has always been there for me through the night time hypos etc believe me its not that bad compared to some diseases just make the best of it

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lauzza . I'm a 52 yr old granddad and I know just how you feel.
No one knows diabetes like a diabetic. All my family give great support and I wouldn't change anything with them. But I and they know it's one thing being diabetic and another understanding diabetes.
I know the only people who understand me are the people on this forum. Sadly they are only names on a screen.
I hope you can find another T1 to share diabetes with face to face. If not keep posting and I'm sure you'll great support here.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya, im 16 (almost 17) and have only been diagnosed for 3 months. I feel really alone too, and would love to talk- please message if you would like to talk

Reactions: Robkww

Tonyb6000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Get over to twitter and join the DOC (diabetic online community) start with @ninjabetic1 and go from there. She's great.

Remember to stay safe online. You may be vulnerable right now. Don't get sucked in by some wierdo. I'm so old! (I don't mean you Amy993)

Take it steady. No ones perfect.

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Hi Lauzza,
I got it when I was 21. Back in 1973 it was relatively rare for someone age 21 to get T1.

I am now 64 and still healthy, thanks to CARB counting, regular testing and a good basic understanding of the effect insulin, diet, exercise and health has on one's blood glucose levels.

I am using the Libre FreeStyle FLASH sensor and concur with Aloha 1816. It is a real eye opener to what is going on "under the covers" and you will feel much more in control.

You are lucky that there are plenty of people in the same situation as yourself and the treatment today is light years ahead of what I had to contend with 40+ years ago.

Good luck in your quest.
Howard

Reactions: Robkww

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hey, I'm 17 and was diagnosed 3 and a half years ago! I don't know anyone at all with type 1 and feel so alone, could use a diabetes buddy I guess? someone to rant with and not have to sugar coat everything and hopefully someone to relate to. Ive not had the best experience with diabetes. Drop me a message:wacky:
Hi @Lauzza have you tried Twitter, lots of type 1's on there similar age to you and really great people. If you use Twitter check out the #gbdoc best support network around

zishaan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello my name is Zishaan and i have been a diabetic for 25 years and if you need any help or advise just ask i will be more than happy to help

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
my daughter is a year older than you, I have been type1 for 44 years had it since I was 2, you will be fine and its not the end of the world. Be strong young jedi hahaha

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi!

I'm a type 1 diabetic as well. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. If you want someone to talk to i'm always here :happy:

Mossy121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm a Type 1 diabetic going into my 3rd year dinagnnosed, here if you need someone to talk to as well. :) Your never alone, plenty of people on here and elsewhere that are willing to help/chat. :)

amyhowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm also 17 and I got diagnosed 15 years ago and I still feel alone even with all the support I get from the hospital, family and friends.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Heyyy, I'm 20 and was diagnosed type one 17 years ago, ik what you're going through and idm talking about it! go for it, anyone that needs to

blaake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey! I'm 23 and was diagnosed a year ago... still really trying to figure it all out too.. always down to talk to other type 1s and learn tips and tricks