Beer instead of fizzy drinks?

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...ght-loss,-us-researchers-report-95362925.html
Aspartame could prevent weight loss, US researchers report

So drinking fizzy drink with aspartame that is a source of f phenylalanine and the effect on gut flora is a bad thing.
But now seem so me that instead a Coke Zero, it's better for a diabetic to drink an old fashioned beer.

By the way I really really prefer a lager or a pils instead of a coke as a treat.

The question is what kind of beer is better for a diabetic that is trying to get the carbohydrate intake low?

Reactions: SWUSA_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real ginger beer?
I used to make it, fermented all the sugar - used only enough to make it fizzy, then added liquid artificial sweetener once it was in the glass - not the little tablets as they make it foam madly and climb out of the glass and all over the table.

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink a low carb beer here called XXXX Gold which is a mid strength beer of 3.5%.

The carbs in a 375ml stubby bottle are 7.1 and in a 285ml pot (½ pint) are 6.0.

You might have to state your age as you have to be 18 plus to enter the XXXX site.

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...ght-loss,-us-researchers-report-95362925.html

So drinking fizzy drink with aspartame that is a source of f phenylalanine and the effect on gut flora is a bad thing.
But now seem so me that instead a Coke Zero, it's better for a diabetic to drink an old fashioned beer.

By the way I really really prefer a lager or a pils instead of a coke as a treat.

The question is what kind of beer is better for a diabetic that is trying to get the carbohydrate intake low?
I asked the diabetic nurse if I could have a drink over christmas he said yes but book the ambulance before you drink it

Reactions: Robbity and SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I asked the diabetic nurse if I could have a drink over christmas he said yes but book the ambulance before you drink it
Peter perhaps use oldies but goodies should just remember the times we have had and celebrate sober that we live another year to toast with our cranberry juice?

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.

Some of the forum members do drink alcoholic drinks sometimes but they are contradicted if you are on Metformin. Alcohol ties up the liver and will change the profile of how you process the other carbs in your diet. DKA is also more likely with alcohol useage and I choose not to drink. Are you on medication for your blood glucose?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen beer called "liquid carbs". 'Nuff said...

Robbity

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marston's Resolution. 4.7% alcohol sold in 275ml bottles. Less that 2g carbs per bottle.

Back in the day this was called LowC and it was obvious who it was aimed at.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I have to say 18 months back when I went keto I stopped the beers but about 6 months (not exactly sure of the time span) back I brought beer back into my life. I drink mostly coors lite, at least once a fortnight I go into town and get proper drunk. my blood sugars drop rapidly to around 4mmol (i'm type 2 for the last 10 years) and only start to rise the following day about lunch time to 6mmol max if I do not eat, lower if I have breakfast. I'm on 2 metformin a day and my last 4 hba1c never over 34. Maybe i'm lucky but the fact is I need enjoyment and if the beers can bring a little happiness then i'm in! I now pop in and out of keto as I keep carbs to less than 50g per day until I drink beer. 8 to 12 pints in a session and maybe a few spirits whilst the taxi arrives.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SWUSA_ There have been a couple of threads about alcohol and Metformin that you might find interesting
CAROL

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Beer and lager I can understand being full of carbs, but what about spirits, especially my tipple of whisky, and their effect on BG?

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just the carbs, it's the blinking alcohol. It really messes up your liver and your carb metabolism. But I don't know any exact numbers, so go to an alcohol related thread!

srm100841

I have a 500ml can of ale every night and according to my carb counter manual it equates to 10.1 carbs. I adjust my diet so that I average 48 carbs per day including my ale. So far and after some 6 years or more, my average BG level is just over 5. I was diagnosed T2 in 2002 and went on the low carb diet in 2007 since when I've not exceeded an annual average above 6.7. Cheers!