Use of the forum and social media. What do you prefer, and why?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given the range of social media communities of PWD and how they seem to cater for different people, I wondered why people came to the forum and stuck with it. Giving it a bit more thought, I wondered why people came here over and above other forms of social media, or if like me, you use the multiple different streams. So I thought I'd ask. What do you prefer and why?

For me it's a case of using multiple systems and seeing different groups of people across all. Their experiences vary, but the common point is that we are all PWD. The way the systems work also plays a part, with Twitter being a much more immediate, conversational format.

What are your views? Do you even consider participation in the forum as using a form of Social Media?

Reactions: Engineer88

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't have a Facebook or Twitter account so not involved in the PWD discussions elsewhere, this forum has just about everything one could wish for so don't feel the need to look further afield.

Is the forum part of the social media, undoubtedly yes.

Reactions: kemokisimu

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I prefer the Facebook groups just because it's all in one place! Depending what advice I want I might post on every platform to get a wide range of responses :)

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i found this place by coincidense

I love this forum as it is very much alive and filled with engaged people, and of cause because they share the same problems or alike that I do, and because there are people here that really knows a lot and willingly share it with fellow sufferers..such a unike forum and site, I also read whats new every day on the sites FrontPage, which is also interesting to get to read what is new considering diabetes scientifically...
I also use my facebook but do find it a bit boring when it becomes too much of a sending beautiful pictures and sharing kittens...I like to get new knowledge and that you can actually get here , and also share a bad day if you are down,,

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
OI have Facebook but prefer this forum for help and advice

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like facebook. Never have. Unless someone can direct me to a Type2Grit group? Or similar? Can't be bothered with the rest of the FB BS.

And repeated attempts at Twitting have never been successful. Actually they have been frustrating and irritating.

Forums, on the other hand, offer me a better sense of community, better sources of info and useful exchanges of ideas and experience.

Why this forum? I like the people who post, and become very fond of regular posters, I like DCUK's ethos. I like the LC tolerance (especially since the LC Program and the PHCUK Conference). Regular reading and posting helps me stay on track with my own D control. And I find it profoundly reassuring that I'm not alone in this - as I was for the first 40 years or so.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dislike Facebook and so would never use that. Even the thought of it is making me grrrrr : D

So, I prefer this forum :) Speaking as a member now not a mod, I'd also say there's far less drivel on here as we get a range of views, not just reinforcing bias from people in the same 'groups'.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As an older, not very IT literate, person I find this forum quite easy to use. I do have a Facebook account, only because my niece wanted to have as many 'friends' as she could when she was 15, so persuaded me to set up an account. But I don't use it much, really only to keep up with what she is doing and my other niece who works abroad.
I don't go near Twitter, seems to take up too much of people's time and how much can you say in 140 characters or whatever it is.

Reactions: ickihun and azure

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are your views? Do you even consider participation in the forum as using a form of Social Media?
I find using the forum a more complex and CPU-intensive form of USENET group or BBS, with a more awkward interface.

I personally dislike twitter and Facebook for a number of reasons, and all the "social media" thing.
One of the reason is that on these platform you are submerged by different kinds of junk. One is the advertising, another is the very people that uses it and may I add misuses it spitting venom.
another is the bubble effect that Facebook puts on you, making difficult to get the information you seek and the discussion you follow in a rational manner, but you get to read trash and trash.

On the fourms, here and on DUK, I find useful information and interesting discussions.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I don't like Facebook at all, for one my family and friends can see it and I don't want them seeing my posts as it's my personal condition I manage and I don't want pity or prying eyes to see what i'm going through and also because on social media I have come across bullying which I cannot tolerate, it's not moderated and people are not looked after. On the forum there is a deep sense of community and support, you know you can talk to other's who get it, whereas on social media you could be talking to anyone ! On the forum it's organised, clear sign posting for different topics it is a far much better way to communicate with other diabetics.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't use social media for a number of reasons, among them being it is more anti-social than social. Find this forum, informative, supportive and friendly

Last edited:

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
schermata26.png

ok.... a bit better :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand Twitter. I opened an account ages ago then wondered what the point was and never went back. I have a Facebook account but deplore the standard of advertising on it. A list of famous people who aren't dead but someone implying that they are and alarming pop ups that say your computer is about to melt. I use it for the messenger bit.

I am also not too keen on some forums, especially those that do not take action against trolls and other nut jobs. This one seems to be OK.

Reactions: Juicyj and Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I use social media for work. I do not want to mix work and diabetes. This forum, as already explained by others, offers me moderated, sensible advice form people who understand. I read other media, but only contribute here.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are talking about groups and forums just for diabetes then I really only go here. I do go to the DUK group sometimes but find that much the same as here. For enjoyment and interests I like the Facebook groups which I spend far more time on I belong to 3 sewing groups and an Encaustic Art group on there

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Facebook a lot mainly to keep up with groups of friends who share my hobbies and are all over the country. I have joined a moderated 'low carb for diabetes' group there "reversing diabetes' but because it is all just a continuous line of stories it is not so easy to navigate and I tend to just to respond to things that find their way to my home page (not sure why some do and some don't) and that interest me, or I feel I can contribute something to. It is a much narrower focus to the group and on here there is a wide range of topics and information and a lovely group of people too.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't understand Twitter. I opened an account ages ago then wondered what the point was and never went back. I have a Facebook account but deplore the standard of advertising on it. A list of famous people who aren't dead but someone implying that they are and alarming pop ups that say your computer is about to melt. I use it for the messenger bit.

I use Facebook for my business and it is quite effective but have downloaded Facebook Purity which gets rid of all advertising and makes it slightly more bearable.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm going to be totally honest ..... I'm here because I like the posters and their brilliant attitude. We share the same health hiccups but in a different way. Shared experiences and can give pearls of wisdom. Which I need plenty of.
I do also enjoy the forums user friendly layout. I'd rather spend my time with you guys than with others who 'don't get' diabetes. The connection is strong. The force be with you!

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are talking about groups and forums just for diabetes then I really only go here. I do go to the DUK group
I also go on the DUK group because is also quite active even if with a bit less traffic.
I haven't fount italian forums on diabetes that are active - the one I follow has one or two post a day...
I'm going to be totally honest ..... I'm here because I like the posters and their brilliant attitude. We share the same health hiccups but in a different way. Shared experiences and can give pearls of wisdom. Which I need plenty of.
I do also enjoy the forums user friendly layout. I'd rather spend my time with you guys than with others who 'don't get' diabetes. The connection is strong. The force be with you!
The biggest problem I also find on Facebook is the inaneness of some posters. When you read from some people that affirms that is a T1 that T2 are in their condition because are lazy fat asses or some other rude answers like that you know that on Facebook you'll never find Useful Information.

For the young people that never had the joy of dialup modem connections, on BBS there were plenty of rude jerks but not at the level you'll find on Facebook.
Facebook works a bit with some commercial/business entities that aren't using well more "classic" methods to communicate with them like e-mail or phone calls.