3 month Blood Test

szia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I was diagnosed on 18 August and put on 1000mg metformin a day.

Hba1c - 75
total cholesterol - 5.8
weight - 175lb

had my 3 months bloods back today after following a low carb diet (approx. 100g a day)

Hba1c - 49
total cholesterol - 5.2
weight - 161lb

Also have much more energy and don't feel hungry all the time.

Question: Should I see the doctor about reducing my metformin or carry on until I get my HBa1c under 42?

Reactions: callyandy

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hba1c - 75
total cholesterol - 5.8
weight - 175lb

had my 3 months bloods back today after following a low carb diet (approx. 100g a day)

Hba1c - 49
total cholesterol - 5.2
weight - 161lb

Question: Should I see the doctor about reducing my metformin or carry on until I get my HBa1c under 42?

so very fine results you have gotten so fast...

I am still on metformin 2 x 850mg even though I have a HbA1c of 34, But I haven´t been lower that 4.6mmol as the lowest number till now... so I think it is different from one person to the other when to stop metformin... If one starts to get too low rather often it would maybe be a good idea to get off of them... but that is really a decision for your GP to make

Last edited:
Reactions: callyandy and szia

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hba1c - 75
total cholesterol - 5.8
weight - 175lb

Hba1c - 49
total cholesterol - 5.2
weight - 161lb

I had hba1c of 92 on 22 August and cholesterol of 5.5 weight 102 kg
I am currently hba1c of 50 ( admittedly a home test so not sure just how accurate, cholesterol last measured properly at 4.5 and weight no 94 - ie 18 lb loss. i.e. all my numbers are pretty similar to yours though I started from a worse position ( and am fatter as well :)) , I refused the drugs and was more aggressive with the carbs . ( 42 gross, 30 net of fibre) you might find you just don't need the metformin at all depending how low carb you are prepared to go.

szia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Freema, I've got the same concern about you. I can't get my fasting blood glucose levels down. They are usually around 6.5 - 7. I know this might just be the morning effect but tried testing at other times (fasting throughout day and exercise) and never get below 6. This is stressing me a out a bit. Probably stick with the metformin for a bit longer.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freema, I've got the same concern about you. I can't get my fasting blood glucose levels down. They are usually around 6.5 - 7. I know this might just be the morning effect but tried testing at other times (fasting throughout day and exercise) and never get below 6. This is stressing me a out a bit. Probably stick with the metformin for a bit longer.

My numbers are similar to yours a reading in the 5's is rare as hen's teeth, but with no medications . Is there anyone here who has tried the strict no carb. thing for a while BEFORE taking the metformin, so they know how much difference metformin actually makes?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The metformin unlikely to help you bring fasting glucose level down to the intended level.

What worked for me was to skip a couple of dinner. And my fasting glucose has remain below 6 mmol throughout the year.

Reactions: Freema and szia

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't start as high as you guys, but I've never had Metformin, and my fasting blood glucose bounces around over the 6-8mmol/l range. With a couple of readings over 10mmol/l.

Diet seems to have almost no impact on it. It is all sleep/sleep quality and stress levels for me. For example, tomorrow I have a very busy time restricted morning and a day of training - so my fasting bg will be through the roof.

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had results from a follow-up blood test today, following diagnosis of prediabetes last Jan. I keep track of them in a simple homemade table, as below:

upload_2016-11-25_13-34-42.png

TC was slightly up, but as even the GP admitted that it doesn't really tell you anything, I'm not concerned. Happy that the key markers are heading in the right direction - ecstatic that my HbA1c keeps dropping, that HDL has improved by over 600% since Jan and that my TG count is roughly half what it was then.
GP raised question of statins because of my age (60), but relented when I told him about the survey carried out by Pulse (the GPs' house journal) of 511 GPs, in which 55% of the doctors questioned stated that they wouldn't take statins themselves nor prescribe them to friends and family. The survey is mentioned in a useful Telegraph article by a vascular surgeon, which can be found at the following link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/10717431/Why-Ive-ditched-statins-for-good.html

It might help forum users argue their case with GPs who blindly do what they're told without the benefit of any independent research or thought.

All good things,
zz

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-25_13-31-5.png
    upload_2016-11-25_13-31-5.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 205

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Hba1c - 75
total cholesterol - 5.8
weight - 175lb

Hba1c - 49
total cholesterol - 5.2
weight - 161lb

I'm sorry I can't help reduce the meds. Just wanted to say well done on your success so far ☺️

Reactions: szia and Freema

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had results from a follow-up blood test today, following diagnosis of prediabetes last Jan. I keep track of them in a simple homemade table, as below:

View attachment 21146

TC was slightly up, but as even the GP admitted that it doesn't really tell you anything, I'm not concerned. Happy that the key markers are heading in the right direction - ecstatic that my HbA1c keeps dropping, that HDL has improved by over 600% since Jan and that my TG count is roughly half what it was then.
GP raised question of statins because of my age (60), but relented when I told him about the survey carried out by Pulse (the GPs' house journal) of 511 GPs, in which 55% of the doctors questioned stated that they wouldn't take statins themselves nor prescribe them to friends and family. The survey is mentioned in a useful Telegraph article by a vascular surgeon, which can be found at the following link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/10717431/Why-Ive-ditched-statins-for-good.html

It might help forum users argue their case with GPs who blindly do what they're told without the benefit of any independent research or thought.

All good things,
zz

Well done on your success so far. Keep doing what your doing

Reactions: szia and Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 21146

All good things,
zz

Your Triglycerides improved significantly. :D