seeing dietitian

Jasonuk

Hi all
recently been diognosed as type 2, i taking METFORMIN, gp surgery has reffered me to a hospital dietition, been told this will be a important appointment to help me eat heathy
does everyone who is diognosed with type 2 get sent t a dietition.?
are diabetics refered if you are only on diet and exercise?
or are you only refered if you are on diabetic meds?
or are you refered either way?

thanks Jason

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Re: seeing dietition

Hi Jason,

I cannot recall being given the option, but do recall being handed a diet sheet and some leaflets/pamphlets by the nurse.

Never used/read them.

Instead I have relied largely on the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum, internet research and reading a few well chosen (and recommended) books.

I've lost approx two and a half stone in weight and feel 100% better now than pre diagnosis. :D

Low carbing is the answer; but this will most probably contradict what you are told by the dietician!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: seeing dietition

Hi Jason,

I know that there are some who have had bad experiences with dietitians and may not agree with the advice given to them, but don't be to deterred by this, and do go along with your gp's recommendations.

In the past I will admit that some dietary advice I have been given has been iffy, but the one I discussed my present diet with last year was a very knowledgeable and pro-active in accepting that, as diabetics we each react/respond differently to certain foods, and a diet needs to be planned around the individuals lifestyle and dietary needs. Lets not forget that dietitians are privy to your past and present medical history, and can base a diet that is safe in the long-term and sustainable on a daily bases. As I say, my recent experience is that dietitians and diabetes care teams are more open to change than they were say 5-10 years ago, but except that not all of us have a similar experience.

There is some good dietary advice on this forum to had, but do keep a open mind and except that some may not be suitable for your own individual needs, and remember that the only way of knowing which foods are best suitable to your diabetes is to test frequently before and after eating.

Shygirl, There is no need to feel miserable and hungry most days, obviously the diet that you are following either isn't working for you, or needs modifying slightly to stop you feeling this way. Diabetes is hard enough to live with each day, and food should be something that is enjoyed, so I would suggest that you need to address where your diet is failing, and get back to making food a pleasurable experience.

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all dietitians give "bad" advice - the two I saw were really good and didn't say plenty of carbs etc with every meal - they showed me how to watch my carbs and helped with portion sizes - go along and listen to what they have to say - like Nigel says they have your full history and health issues - I am due to see my dietitian again for help with managing my BS along with my diverticulitis - we are all different and need different things - it is early days and you will learn a lot from all sorts of places to enable you to get your diet just right for you :D

I think all T2 diabetics in my area are offered a dietitian and a DESMOND course - whether on meds or diet only- I now have my dietitians number and can rign her anytime - not that I have needed to but it certainly helped me in the early days knowing I had someone to call on

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I saw a dietician once. Followed her instructions for a couple of years, but then discovvered Bernstein.
and got BG under control.
Hana

Jasonuk

ty all for replys,

i;m going to go along with a open mind!!!! when i get the appointment, db nurse and gp, told me its very important i tell dietition, i have chronic pancreatitus and take creon in tablet form thats a combanation of powerfull digestive enzymes a pancreas normally releases to digest and absorb food, but my pancreas doesent make enough due to pancreatitus-inflamed pancreas
if i dident take creon each time i eat i i might as well chew food then spit it out and say ive eaten!!!! cos thats how much use eating would be, food would just pass through me before id even finished eating!!!
i am concerned as well as being diabetic the other pancreas function-- digesting absorbing food aint working so it take creon to help with that too, ive mentioned chronic pancreattus in other posts cos thats why im diabetic in first place secondary diabetes through pancreas dying/falure

Jason

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Jason :)

As has already been said go with an open mind as you can always learn something. At the end of the day you will need to test and see if what you are advised to do works for you and your body, self testing is the only way to know for sure. We will be interested to hear how it all goes. :)

china

Hello Jason
I'm type 2 diagnosed 18 months ago. At my first appointment with my diabetes nurse she referred me to the hospital dietician and put me on an XPERT course, both standard referrals as part of the excellent care package offered to diabetics at my surgery. I have been extremely lucky!

broads

Hi Jason,
I was diagnosed type2 with a bs level of 7.1 then a week later of 7.3 in Sept 2008. I did not get an appointment with the dietician till the November by which time I had spent hours of my life researching information on this web site. I learnt so much. Amazing site. When I did get to see the dietician she waffled on about balanced diet, eating carbs etc. very ,very nice lady in her mid 20s I would have said. I listened, she listened to me. We had a brilliant chat. I would tackle the conversation in a different way if I was to see her tomorrow but it was all so new to me then. However, low carb, excercise, in my opinion you can't go wrong. Sorry was not the answer to your question but was tring to get across the fact that learn all you can from this web site and go armed to the dietician.

Best wishes