Why do some fat people not get diabetes

S

serenity648

A 'friend' of mine recently had a stroke. he is 62 years old, doesnt drink, smoke, is slim etc etc. His wife turned to me and said it wasnt fair, I should have had the stroke, not him..............

"because i am fat"....................and he agreed with her.

I dont drink, smoke etc, but, because I am fat, I , according to them, deserved to have a stroke, not him as he is slim, so has done nothing to deserve it.

I didnt know whether to cry or deck her!!! I did nothing, but turned away. But it hurt.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 'friend' of mine recently had a stroke. he is 62 years old, doesnt drink, smoke, is slim etc etc. His wife turned to me and said it wasnt fair, I should have had the stroke, not him..............

I dont drink, smoke etc, but, because I am fat, I , according to them, deserved to have a stroke, not him as he is slim, so has done nothing to deserve it.

I didnt know whether to cry or deck her!!! I did nothing, but turned away. But it hurt.
Yes, it would have hurt me too. And made me very angry.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think I'd have been tempted to say something about it might have been karma for their sh!tty entitled attitudes :angelic:

Reactions: Jaylee

lindisfel

Expert
If I look at my school photos of nearly 70 years ago we were all thin, we had the same genes as subsequent generations. I blame the dietary guidelines and food industry. Some of us have T2 without being obese , we just can't deal with refined carbs. They are not normal foods for humans and some of us are closer to ice age humans in our dietary requirements. regards Derek

The answer is that obesity does not cause diabetes in general. They can both be treated with low-carbohydrate diets and when you do that you can see that they are separate since diabetes can be improved without weight loss. We don 't know what causes diabetes but it is likely that reducing carbs is key.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It the same as smokers, not all smokers will get lung cancer, breathing conditions, mouth or throat cancer.
I am not sure, because even if there's correlation between T2 diabetes and being obese, it could be a rerverse correlation due the fact a pre-diabetic condition could cause an increased hunger, so one will easily eat more calories and worse due the dieting guidelines, sugar and carbohydrate based food, that worsen the cravings.

On older times there was less low cost junk foods, and t2 diabetes was diagnosed less, and unfortunately a lot of people that could develop diabetes died for other reasons.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are really rude people, I could understand having a stroke is a problematic situation but thinking that only fatty people deserve that doesn't change nothing about the fact there are a lot of cause that could cause a stroke.

And anyway what they said is not polite, at the level of wishing the 'evil eye' to somebody...

lindisfel

Expert
Too much insulin is not only causing T2D but it causes obesity. Unlike T1D's that only take necessary insulin for their carb intake, we who have working pancreases produce the fat hormone in excess if we take in too many carbs. Some of us have more capacity for insulin than others and can keep our blood glucose down. Its an oversimplification but seems to be the issue . Perhaps that is why T2s on insulin have more problems healthwise than T1s who have good control. After all, all we T2s have to do is cut carbs. :) D.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure, because even if there's correlation between T2 diabetes and being obese, it could be a rerverse correlation due the fact a pre-diabetic condition could cause an increased hunger, so one will easily eat more calories and worse due the dieting guidelines, sugar and carbohydrate based food, that worsen the cravings.

On older times there was less low cost junk foods, and t2 diabetes was diagnosed less, and unfortunately a lot of people that could develop diabetes died for other reasons.

I think this sums it up nicely...
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/05/15/what-is-insulin-resistance/
12938132_1740871736157285_5218403803938131245_n.png

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes I would have been hurt too. At least you're only fat - not ignorant, cruel, insensitive and abusive. My mother used to say 'such people should be pitied' When I was a small child I thought that meant put in a deep pit and left there. ;):)

Reactions: serenity648

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
At diagnosis my BMI was 23.9 and that was the highest it had ever been which is, quote; “in the healthy range and a low risk of disease.” Currently 22.6

My mother is type2 in her 80’s, metformin only and no complications what so ever.

Was mine hereditary? Looks awfully like it! Of course it could be fat build-up around organs and we know that being overweight or obese is not a requirement for this to occur.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading posts about how carb reduction has so paid off is good to hear but is very frustrating since I have severely reduced carbs for well over a year and no sugar. No white. No bread. None. Not a mouthful
No rice. No pasta. No no no. Protein and fats. Eggs bacon chicken salmon salad.
Do not lose. .I am not on meds. I seem to keep glucose levels in good ppl range but fasting remains high.
I really don't get it. So I seem locked into this eating forever but no reward as many of you have with weight loss and lower levels. And I do exercise every day. But my enthusiasm is waning. My question is...stress is off the charts...family illness etc
Could that do it???

then maybe it is time to try metformin as it should help ones ínsulline sensibillity somewhat , and maybe that will make you able too loose... you could always stop again when you have lost what you want and it it doen´t help you at all...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

stupid idiots they are..

Worrierfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
then maybe it is time to try metformin as it should help ones ínsulline sensibillity somewhat , and maybe that will make you able too loose... you could always stop again when you have lost what you want and it it doen´t help you at all...
Perhaps. But I thought that lchf with exercise was as effective. I've read that on here. Plus I'd have to go to a dr. And be subjected to his or her advice. Diet etc. I'd not agree likely.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps. But I thought that lchf with exercise was as effective. I've read that on here. Plus I'd have to go to a dr. And be subjected to his or her advice. Diet etc. I'd not agree likely.

you don´t have to do all that the GP says... just get the medication and then do what you want at home, he or she can´t control everything, I am sure I couldn´t get my numbers as low as I have without metformin, but I still do eat low carb... and I certainly don´t need my GP´s admission