What do you do for a living?

m4z

As the title says :D

I'm a Quantity Surveyor in construction. It's not a bad job, and I normally enjoy it - just not on Monday mornings!!

What does everyone do?

Does it impact on your diabetes at all?

Mine doesn't really seem affected, as I'm either sat at a desk or out measuring.

viv1969

I'm an Operation Export Manager.
We arrange transport and all the associated licences and permits for taking humanitarian aid / pharmaceuticals / building and pipeline equipment to Iraq.
I love my job and have been here for 10 years.
It has no impact whatsoever on my diabetes.
The only thing I dislike is the 30 Mile each way commute.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
I'm a programme Manager and singer.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
OAP
and volunteer walk leader.
Hana

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I used to manage with type 2 as a chef and then running restaurants. But then came the promotion to type 1 which has put me in a wheelchair and off for 6 months. But as I no longer get ssp the jobcentre has me in on Thursday to be "evaluated" for an appropriate job or retraining :lol: this should be interesting all I've done is chef or run restaurants since my teens so next you'll hear I'll be a lumberjack or a diver :lol:

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Retired Tyre and Mechanical Salesperson.

Today I am a beach walker and traveller of the world plus in this glorious country
A volunteer Rural Firefighter for 24 years (Deputy Captain and tanker driver)
Volunteer patient at the Graduate School of Medicine
Teaching Assistant at the GSM
Telephone Counsellor with a national Australian crisis service and facillitator for new recruits
Volunteer at several Folk Festivals and dancer at the same
Vegetable grower for the home supply
Researcher of all things diabetic
Landlord of an investment home

Diabetes has not made an iota of difference to my lifestyle after the initial "OMG not me thing!"

Got to love being retired, and fortunate to have been an early retiree.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Im in IT as well

Type 2 and only real effect on my diabetes is that i can spend a lot of time at my desk to not getting enough exercise, oh a skippimg my luch prob does not help either.

Brian

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
ham79 said:
I used to manage with type 2 as a chef and then running restaurants. But then came the promotion to type 1 which has put me in a wheelchair and off for 6 months. But as I no longer get ssp the jobcentre has me in on Thursday to be "evaluated" for an appropriate job or retraining :lol: this should be interesting all I've done is chef or run restaurants since my teens so next you'll hear I'll be a lumberjack or a diver :lol:

Good job you can keep a sense of humour over you predicament Ham79 :lol:

I am retired a number of years now but used to do bookkeeping and accounts which I really enjoyed. Used to feel "wow, I'm doing something I really love AND getting paid for it as well!"
Unfortunately not many can say that these days.
Manage to drag myself around and do next to nothing now, but enjoy posting on various forums and giving my unlimited (sometimes unwanted) advice. :wink:

pang3e

Hi, I spend time listening to other people's problems and trying to help them find practical ways to manage their problems differently and get paid for it.

I'm a type 2 on metformin and as my job is done sitting down, I lead a sedentary lifestyle mostly and it's the carbs that tend to affect me by making me want to fall asleep! I spend the mornings yawning like I haven't slept and the afternoons trying to stay awake after eating a sandwich at lunch! I'm researching this website to find out what else I can eat apart from carbs...Oh, and I like my job by the way :lol:

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
well as the jobcentre have lost all my info got no advice so not a lumberjack yet

Smarner

I work for a diy chain visiting customers in their homes designing & selling kitchens & bathroomss.

Diagnosed T2 Jan HbA1c 12.2 down to 10.1 three weeks ago.

Just had a week off my morning bg down from 17.8 last Sunday to 13 this Sunday morning 1 day at work 18.7 this morning. Got home from work 24.6. Job is stressful and I have handed in my notice.

Trying to get in to see GP as Metformin leaves me feeling so tired that it is an effort to breath. I have also lost all body fat. Thought I was suffering from frequent viruses to begin with but been very careful with diet past 3-4 weeks. Each time I tried taking Metformin within 2 days just making a tea was an effort. Stopped again 10 days ago. I've also had severe burning sensation in back between shoulder blades. I'm thinking that it is using laptop allday, bad posture. It went away last week but came back yesterday.

Having trouble getting nurse & gp to stop and listen to what I'm saying. Seems I had high bg so I'm diabetic & they get their funding.
I'm beginning to feel high bg is a result of stress and lack of exercise which is due to a shoulder injury that has stopped me doing much for 18 mths. I also thinking I may have started suffering from hayfever as all my problems semed to start last summer.

Personnally I think the job has a lot to answer for.

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
Type 1 Airline Cabin Crew. I work in many time zones as I do long and short haul flights. I do really irregular shift hours. I've done DAFNE as it was the only way I could get stable and controled enough to fly as my managers were not too keen on the idea and tried to ground me!! I've recently been accepted to try the pump and I have to admit I'm like a big kid and am so looking forward to getting it!

I've never had any problems going through security with my needles and I keep my insulin cooled with the Frio bags. I always take double supplys of everything I need just incase it ever got lost or stolen or I got delayed. Oh and I always always take my own food with me! X

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Retired nurse. Worked in domicilary care for ????? years; left in 2004 to be carer for my late hubby. Unfortunately osteoarthritis has left me with very poor mobility, T2 put me on insulin, weight gain!!!! I'm now on Byetta, lost 2 1/2 stones since Christmas, feeling sooooo much better, but still have incredible back pain. Never mind, it'll soon be summer!! :lol:

marlonnice

Dislikes
Plastic person
well, I'm an IT Consultant.. but aside from that I also doing some sideline as an Computer Technician... That's what I do for living, but I'm willing to waste my time in my work!

dianeb

I'm a finance director! I work for a group of companies in the construction industry.

Work is stressful most of the time, and the characters I meet can be a bit colourful (well,their language can), so my biggest problem is blood pressure. I make sure that I get up and move about, and wandering around hunting people down keeps me close to the 10,000 steps.

Hardest part was dealing with the diagnosis and getting my head around the fact that although I control other people's working lives, their finances and as much red tape as you can imagine, I can't control my own body.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ham79 said:
well as the jobcentre have lost all my info got no advice so not a lumberjack yet

Hope you remember the lumberjack song and get the right clothing :lol:

dmk12

Hi I am a confectioner, I make wedding cakes and birthday cakes. I love my job although not a great job for a diabetic, My doctor thinks I sit eating cake all day! :roll:

m4z

dianeb said:
I'm a finance director! I work for a group of companies in the construction industry.

Work is stressful most of the time, and the characters I meet can be a bit colourful (well,their language can), so my biggest problem is blood pressure. I make sure that I get up and move about, and wandering around hunting people down keeps me close to the 10,000 steps.

Hardest part was dealing with the diagnosis and getting my head around the fact that although I control other people's working lives, their finances and as much red tape as you can imagine, I can't control my own body.

You don't need any Quantity Surveyors at the moment do you? :lol: