Injection sites

subortna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone have any advice on injecting Novorapid? I unfortunately have a large scar on my lower abdomen due to a botched appendix operation nearly 30 years ago so I don't have as many fresh spaces to inject my Novorapid 3 times a day and wonder if anyone injects this elsewhere? I have been told by the DN that it must be in the stomach but I can't see why I shouldn't use legs/thighs? Any ideas

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @subortna :)

It's important to rotate your injection sites and not just use one area. You should be able to use your thighs, top of bum and arms as well as your stomach :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @subortna:)
here is an image showing all potential injection sites.
It is really important to try and rotate sites as much as possible .

injection sites.png

Reactions: noblehead

subortna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice, I used to use many more areas when I was on novomix but like I said the DN says only stomach but I think I will follow your suggestions and use bum/thighs too. Love this site it's great to be able to converse with people who are in the same situ.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
yeah -- your DN will have an opinion -- but most likely isn't living with variable absorption -- you stick to your guns and rotate as much as you can !!!!!!!

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are like me of very slight build stomach is the only place where the novorapid works efficiently therefore I've pushed for a pump plus also I get the dawn phenomenon. You should ask for a pump you may be entitled to one in this case. I would ask uour DN and Endocrinologist doctor but you have to prove you can carb count very well which may have to include a SADIE (Skill Ajdusting Dose Insulin East Sussex) course others have different names so check. The pump will definitely help you. Hope you get sorted.