Type 1: Freestyle Libre

Neximus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre is a life changer for me. My Hba1c has improved and I have far fewer hypos. The accuracy depends on how well the sensor is attached and if it is inserted into a non fatty area the sensor can bend (have a look when you remove the sensor after 2 weeks).

So the Libre is great but make sure it is inserted into a nice fatty area.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I have been using the libre for about 2 years now. Love it to bits. Wear it under arm. Less obvious and less likely to catch it and rip it off which happened with my first one! On a door way. I do not find any pain on application but removal can cause me to scream, I find it very painful. No issues going through airports. I agree reading are weird for first 24 hours. Mine are very low. Love the idea of putting it on in tandem with the one that is finishing. Just do it. You will understand your diabetes so much better with it.
Good luck.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
'Diabetes control is like walking through a dark tunnel where you switch a light on 4 times a day when you check your BG. Having the Libre is like having a light on all the time.'
Absolutely right!
:happy:

SusieJP15

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I've been using the libre for a few months now and it's helped me massively. The only problems I get are it either falls off too soon before the 2 weeks are up.. or when I go to take it off after the 2 weeks it is stuck to my arm so much it really hurts! I'm often left with bruising but it goes after a day or two. As far as tracking my sugars go it's worked miracles. I thought I had Dawn phenomenon and the libre has proved that I definitely do after years of testing. I can see exactly what time in the morning it shoots up and after today's hospital visit I will now be getting the pump to help this.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using it for 4 days. Honestly, it feels like all my life.

I can already see the impact. Days 1-3 were hectic, spikes and dips galore. I imagine most of the last 19 years to be the same.... My hba1c is usually around 7. Not too bad, not at all great though.

Day 4, flat graph all night, and all day so far. I don't say many things are life changing, but this is that and more. I dare say it will turn out to be life saving too.

It's a lot of money, I had to thing long and hard before purchasing. I'm sad that not everyone is in a position to even think long and hard about it never mind actually buying it.

I'll continue using it until I can't afford to. Hell, of probably stop eating lunch if it meant I could afford it. It's healthier for me to have this and not eat during the day than not to have it!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I've been using the libre for a few months now and it's helped me massively. The only problems I get are it either falls off too soon before the 2 weeks are up.. or when I go to take it off after the 2 weeks it is stuck to my arm so much it really hurts! I'm often left with bruising but it goes after a day or two. As far as tracking my sugars go it's worked miracles. I thought I had Dawn phenomenon and the libre has proved that I definitely do after years of testing. I can see exactly what time in the morning it shoots up and after today's hospital visit I will now be getting the pump to help this.
Hey @SusieJP15
welcome to the forum !! :)
I have used the libre a few times ( can't afford it all the time )
when it is time to take it off I use tea tree oil or baby oil ----- let it soak in for 15-20 minutes

(then the insert should come off with less bother )

really pleased you have found out about your DP -- I have a pretty big DP too-- but being on a pump has sorted it out ( most all of the time ):)

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a quick side note...
I'm going to be travelling in around two weeks, what do you reckon it will be like going through security with my Freestyle Libre patch on?

I travel a lot, and when going through the scanners, it picks it up (the ones where you have to raise your hands) and they ask what it is, and I tell them. No one has ever questioned my answers.
As for the normal metal detectors, they don't pick it up.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am skinny, but the only thing that has ever hurt is a needle going into muscle. The only reason it is advised on your arm is because it's in place that doesn't get knocked, abused or touched often. There is no flexing going on, and the only time you touch it is when you put on a t-shirt or something.
I wouldn't put it on any other part of my body at all. The only way I think it would hurt is if you missed the suggested area.
Also, I spent over 2 hours in the sea on Sunday, didn't come off at all.
I've been on them months now, I find the accuracy great, and I am sure it is improving when they make new ones - they just don't tell us the updates.

Hi there guys,

I've just decided to give the Freestyle Libre a whirl.

I am on the skinny side and the back of my arm (where Freestyle say it must go) does not have a lot of meat to it! If there is anyone else out there that also uses the freestyle Libre and, like myself, does not have a lot of fat to them, I would like to know what your experience is like.

So far It is the second day of me having this odd white circle stuck to me, I had a bit of pain when applying the disc onto my arm...in fact I nearly passed out! The first night it caused some pain and discomfort.

I would love to hear any support about the Libre as I am deciding if it is something I will use in the long term.

SeanHomer_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So after about a week now, I've realised that this thing on my arm is actually rather helpful! Especially with low blood sugar readings because before I would panic cram food in me and then end up with high readings, however because I don't have to prick my finger every time I want a reading I take a tiny bit of lucosade and test every couple of minutes until I am happy with the reading. It's a game changer for that.

The only issue I have with it is the fact that I do not have a lot of meat on my arms and so I find it difficult to get a good position on my arm with the scanner.

To be honest, even though it's quite costly I do think I am going to stick with it because I love having this much control of low blood sugar readings and testing in general, I've gone from testing maybe 3 times a day to over 10 and I feel the novelty of it won't run out!

Reactions: steve_p6 and azure

Suk1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of helpful comments - I'm thinking about getting the Libre, and your experiences are very useful.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So after about a week now, I've realised that this thing on my arm is actually rather helpful! Especially with low blood sugar readings because before I would panic cram food in me and then end up with high readings, however because I don't have to prick my finger every time I want a reading I take a tiny bit of lucosade and test every couple of minutes until I am happy with the reading. It's a game changer for that.

To be honest, even though it's quite costly I do think I am going to stick with it because I love having this much control of low blood sugar readings and testing in general, I've gone from testing maybe 3 times a day to over 10 and I feel the novelty of it won't run out!

Yes! I used to overreact too. A bg of 4.x scared me.. Now, i go through the night comfortably with nothing higher than a 5.5..

I used to test my bg about 10-15 times a day though (my poor fingers). My libre monitor tells me my average over the past 10 days has been 70 scans a day lol!

ChrisH5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to add to the comments about how wonderful and life changing the sensors can be.
I bought 4 thinking I would use them as and when required, I've used them continuously and am currently on my 3rd. They are expensive but surely much cheaper than testing strips and machines to get the same results. They really need to be but on prescription (I know some people have had them so why can't we all?)

My 2nd sensor went on painfully and bruised quite a bit and the reading were a bit more 'out'. I use Glimp on my phone to read them and if you input finger prick readings it calibrates the sensor readings to match.

The worst thing about them so far is the removal, my first sensor came away from the sticky pad first so the 2nd one I pulled off better by making sure I pulled the sticky bit. I'll be trying baby oil next time though.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The worst thing about them so far is the removal, my first sensor came away from the sticky pad first so the 2nd one I pulled off better by making sure I pulled the sticky bit. I'll be trying baby oil next time though.

I was shocked when it came to day 14 on my first. It wouldn't budge! After all the threads I've read about them hanging off by then.

I used baby oil on a cotton will pad and gently removed it. The skin underneath was as if I hadn't even been wearing it. Definitely take care and time when removing is my advice.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the sensors for 6 months. As much as you can love a needle attached to your arm (or filament even), it has given me reassurance more than anything. I check all the time, everywhere, which means I don't panic about what my BG is. The cost is a bit high but I cannot go back to finger tests now, although I do occasionally check and the sensor is very accurate I've found. I've returned 2 sensors, both fell off over the summer when it was really hot and I am clumsy and kept knocking the sensor. Abbott replaced straight away. All the sensors since have worked with no problems. Pain wise, well, I am quite large, so apart from a mild sting and having to yank the sensor off my arm when it's finished (they are really secure, which is good), I don't even feel it now. Knowing my BG level all the time so I can see what's going on and correct is great. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got my 1st sensor on monday,still getting to grips with it though.Ive had diabetes for 40 years and its difficult to get a decent amount of blood out of my fingers some days.I did think there was an alarm to alert you of hi/low bs but i think i got that wrong.I find mine can be a little out,scanned it earlier and it said 4.6 but my meter said 6.4.