SWINE FLU THREAD

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
Jim H said:
Last week I booked for my blood test and the Swine Flue Vaccine for Wednesday at my local surgery.

It's at a good time, ten past ten on 10th February 2010. 8)

Better late than never I suppose ! Had mine done last November :)

neededthat

i didn't have swine flu vacine and i read on news other day ther closing vacine pick up centres and the swine flu helplines very soon.

Jim H

shirleymarye said:
Better late than never I suppose! Had mine done last November :)

I had an invite to have a jab in November, but thought I was due for a blood test in December/January so I left it so I could do it at the same time. Last week I got a letter for an appointment for the Diabetic clinic on 26 Feb and need a blood test before, so rang and booked both. :) Let's hope it doesn't hurt afterwards.

china

Swine Flu Jab for Southern Hemisphere Travellers

Earlier this week I had an interesting phone call from the Nurse in charge of the Travel Clinic at my GP's.

I have been travelling to South Africa every few months for the past 6 years. I will be going again in June (if the volcano has stopped spewing by then :shock: ) so have asked for my usual anti-malarials..... The nurse phoned me to 'strongly suggest' that I (and my fellow travellers) have the Swine Flu vaccination as it is 'the flu season in the Southern Hemisphere'. For this privilege those who pay prescription charges would be charged £31. I thanked her for her consideration and told her that I had declined the offer of the Swine flu vac for the flu season here in the UK last year and saw no reason to think any differently now.

It was only after our conversation ended that I realised that in the 6 years I have been going out to SA - and especially in the Southern Hemisphere's flu season ie April to Sept when I often go out twice - not once has the subject of having any kind of flu jab ever arisen. My inner sceptic then escaped it's shackles and let rip! Of course! I remembered that the UK now has a HUGE stockpile of unused Swine Flu vaccine costing £gazillions which the NHS must be desperate to recover. They must have asked themselves 'where's the next flu season coming up - oh yeah Southern Hemisphere, let's target those suckers!'

I do however like to have as much information as possible before making a decision, so I contacted a few medically-inclined friends in SA and asked for their views/advice on the subject. They laughed. Quite frankly, anything other than Aids and Malaria (to name but 2 of the big boys) doesn't get much attention.

So...... does anyone here have any views or advice on the subject?

Chelsey

Swine Flu injection cause Diabetes?

I know this might sound a bit silly but can the swine flu injection cause Diabetes?
I let my daughter have the injection and 2/3 later she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This is the reason I feel guilty as I let her have the injection so if I hadn't let her have the injection may she have not developed Type 1 diabetes? Her father is also a T1.
I would just like to hear peoples opinons on this.
Chelsey.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Re: Swine Flu injection cause Diabetes?

Considering her father is Type 1 I'd think a genetic predisposition is more likely than a vaccination. Whether the vac's was the trigger may be another question but you might have to think that if it wasn't that it would have been something else.

My son tested positive to auto-immune disease in the weeks after his birth and was diagnosed with T1 when he was 8 months old. I can only assume it took 8 months for Khaleb's immune system to do it's work.

Did the diagnosis come 2/3 days or months after the flu vac? If it was days you could safely assume she already had diabetes and you may even be able to think back to when the first symptoms may have appeared and it might be further than you think.

We all want to ask "why" and "what if". There is a thread on here somewhere that has all the possible reasons why the person/parent thinks they or their child has diabetes.

How would you feel if your daughter was one of the unlucky swine flu patients that died or was seriously disabled from the complication? Don't feel guilty, someday they might find out diabetes is caused be being born with the moon on a 40 deg angle or something just as bizarre.

Hope things are going okay? Khaleb's starting to not sleep during the day. This is wrecking the night time routine and stopping me getting a full nights sleep (this is not a common occurance anyway). I'm very tempted to take him for a drive in the car after lunch so he gets a few zzzz's.

What does you husband/partner think caused his diabetes?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Chelsey,
It is not your fault that your daughter has Type 1 diabetes and please don't beat yourself up about it. You let her have the vaccine because you lover her very much and did not want her to be ill. Where is the blame in that?

A first degree relative of someone with Type 1 has a 1 in 6 chance of developing Type 1. In the open population it is 1 in 300 and so obviously genetics play a part in this.

((((hugs to you and daughter))))

Catherine.

Good evening,
Both of my children received the swine flu vaccine and 6 weeks later they were both diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes....I sincerly believe it came from the vaccine....I don't know how to get this looked into...I have talked to multiple doctors about this and they have no ideas. Anyone have any ideas??

thanx for any advice :wave: