Porridge on lchf diet?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know someone who managed their diabetes without meds who swears by porridge. Personally I find it spikes me too high. Are you testing yourself, the only way to really know is to try it then test yourself 2 hours afterwards. This really helped me to understand the effect food has on my BG levels.

Reactions: Freema

chattycathy28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks penfold . I will try that at the weekend when I'm not working as I can't test at work (where I will Be 2 hours after breakfast ) . X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do weigh out the portion carefully - perhaps even try a half portion first just in case. We all react differently and oats are a grain, plus the processing might result in added carbs - they love to add in sugar for cheapness and extra profit.

A

asparagusp

Forget instant porridge. not as tasty. Use proper oats. Additionally instant porridge tends to contain dried milk which also might raise your blood sugar. Maybe other posters might agree that porridge made with water with a dollop of cream might be the way to go, but of course take a reading!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Instant porridge will raise blood sugars quicker than "normal oats"; ideally if you could get hold of steel cut oats, these are the best. I have around 35 grams for breakfast with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger spices, every berry I can get my hands on and at least 4 different nuts - keeps me going late into the afternoon.

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Forget instant porridge. not as tasty. Use proper oats. Additionally instant porridge tends to contain dried milk which also might raise your blood sugar. Maybe other posters might agree that porridge made with water with a dollop of cream might be the way to go, but of course take a reading!
Agree, I replaced milk with water some time a go.

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
4 oz porridge oats with 1 1/2 pints of boiled water in slow cooker at 9pm ready for 6am when I have half of it with blueberries and2 rounds of whole meal toasted.....lasts me until dinner at 12.30.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 oz porridge oats with 1 1/2 pints of boiled water in slow cooker at 9pm ready for 6am when I have half of it with blueberries and2 rounds of whole meal toasted.....lasts me until dinner at 12.30.

Does that affect your BG, sounds great :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have steel cut oats with whole flax seed added nearly everyday and do not get much of a blood sugar spike with them. I also drink 16 oz of coffee with 2 ounces of 2% milk in it with the oats. I use Better Oats brand in packets because it is pre-measured and has become very inexpensive here at about twentyfive cents per serving. I microwave it in a large cereal bowl for two and a half minutes with an equal amount of water. I have heard that our (USA) oatmeal is coarser and less processed than the porridge you can get in UK. I know other brands have given me bigger blood sugar spikes than this one does. I plan a trip to a bulk buying warehouse next month and will probably purchase oats that are even less processed than the ones I am using now if the prices are reasonable then because even this lightly sweetened packaged brand is beginning to taste too sweet for me. I probably should add that it adds 24 carbs per serving and I just try to stay 80-120 carbs per day.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have porridge too most days (I live in Scotland :) ). It's made with water and wholegrain rolled oats (39p for 500g from Lidl), finished with a little splash of milk, sometimes 2% but often almond milk, and then I stir in ground flax seed. I've found that it, luckily, doesn't give me a big spike but I know that porridge does affect some people more than others. (I admit I haven't tested after 3 or 4 hours but my 2hr reading was down from my 1 hr reading when I last checked).

Reactions: Freema and dbr10

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I missed warm cereal type breakfast in winter. My solution was to defrost and warm blueberries in the microwave, then sprinkle on LSA, full fat Greek yogurt, coconut cream, or cream, add toppings like cinnamon, toasted nuts & seeds, chia seeds or coconut chips.

I also found that a 1/2 large or one small fresh pear with skin did not spike me, so cut up one, heated in microwave with a sprinkle of cinnamon and top with the above.

I think that sometimes when you are missing a food it is important to think about what you are missing (texture, taste, associated memories) and that can help come up with alternatives.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to stick with yoghurt these days; more by habit than anything else.

I have had no issues with oats, with just a bit of milk, ignored for 5 or 10 minutes, whilst it soaks in. I enjoy porridge, but quite enjoy a decent chew on the un-cooked oats.

As others have said, it's all about individual reaction, which can really only be gauged by testing a couple of times. Should the numbers not be to your liking, try a smaller portion and see if that helps before rejecting wholly.

Fingers crossed for you.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I eat instant Porridge like aldi make on lchf diet?
You can eat whatever you want on a LCHF diet, providing that your overall daily carb intake stays below a value which would deem your diet "low carb". <130 per day seems to be the figure that regularly gets mentioned. Whatever figure you choose below that threshold is up to you as an individual.

As others have suggested, you may want to avoid porridge if you find that it has a negative impact on your BG levels. Or if you can't live without it, find a variety or brand that has the least influence on your BG.

Last edited:

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use Lidl Porridge Oats cooked and cooled with almond milk plus a teaspoon of Cinnamon and topped with a few blueberries .Doesn't spike me.

Reactions: SWUSA_

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have porridge too most days (I live in Scotland :) ). It's made with water and wholegrain rolled oats (39p for 500g from Lidl), finished with a little splash of milk, sometimes 2% but often almond milk, and then I stir in ground flax seed. I've found that it, luckily, doesn't give me a big spike but I know that porridge does affect some people more than others. (I admit I haven't tested after 3 or 4 hours but my 2hr reading was down from my 1 hr reading when I last checked).
I love porridge (another Scot) but I haven't found a brand of oats yet that doesn't give me a massive spike for hours after so I haven't had it in ages.
I recall when I was wee my Grandad had to soak the oats overnight for cooking the next morning and I was given it with the cream of the milk freshly delivered by the milkman....I still remember the taste.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
I'm going to give the idea of making it in a slow cooker a try, never heard of that, but I love porridge especially in this cold weather.