Insulin absorption varies significantly with activity

pkennedy19

I seem to have a problem, and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. My job is office based and relatively stationary, at least in comparison to my weekend activity when I am exercising moderately. During the week I have to take much more insulin and inject 30 minutes prior to lunch to prevent high post meal BGs. Then at weekends I tend to hypo often and need to reduce my insulin and inject just before or during my meals. I guess to some extent this is expected, however in my case it just seems to be really exaggerated. I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of resistance to insulin, or difficulty in absorption. Achieving reasonable results during the week has become difficult. Any advice or help is much appreciated. I am 40 years old, taking humalog and lantus and have been diabetic for over 27 years.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Welcome to the forum, pkennedy19.

Which injection sites do you normally use and what kind of condition are they in?

pkennedy19

Usually in the tummy. Sometimes the arms. No sign of damage. A bit more tummy fat now perhaps, but nothing major. I keep reasonably fit and active.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi,

What you've described can sometimes be caused by poor circulation to the injection site. Because exercise improves both insulin sensitivity and circulation, it's possible to see bigger than normal variations in your insulin's action. One sign of poor circulation is the injection site being relatively cool to the touch compared to surrounding areas.

My only other suggestion is caffeine. Are you drinking a lot more caffeine at work compared to while at home?

pkennedy19

Injection sites seem to be OK. I am interested in the caffeine comment. I would drink roughly 2 to 4 a day whilst at work 1 to 3 per day at weekends. Nothing significant. What would you say if the effect of the caffeine?

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi pkennedy19,

The hormones released when you drink caffeine will tend to raise blood sugars, but the exact effect varies from person to person.

Regards,
timo.