Who would have believed this was possible?

Shaydollar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well the answer to that is all you good people on here who have been there and done it! Just come back from the doctors and blood tests taken after 19 weeks lchf are completely different. My doctor was completely at a loss for words that I have been able to get hab1c from 6.5% to 4.9% in this time. He was asking all sorts of questions like what am I eating etc. Parting words were I am off all blood pressure medication and metformin now, to keep doing what I have been doing and to come back for a revision in 4 months when if things are still doing the same he will then just need to see me annually! Not stopped smiling since and must have looked a bit of a mad woman in the supermarket! I am just so happy but I know I have to stick with this as still got weight to lose. Incidentally I have lost 20kgs in 21 weeks. Thank you to everyone here for all of your posts, the help and motivation have been immense, to those of you who have given advice and pointed me in the right direction I cannot thank you enough. To those newbies on here take heart, get with this way of life and don't look back!
God bless good luck

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Hi all,

I have MS and arthritis and type 2 diabetes since june 2016.

I was put on high level of steroids at beginning of year and put on 3 stone in weight, I came off the steroids because of this, but then found I have diabetes and high cholesterol, I decided to sort it out myself Lol, so I went on the low carb diet 20/30g carbs a day.

Started at 73Kgs 7.4 cholesterol and 75 diabetes. last blood test down to 62Kgs 5 cholesterol and 50 diabetes.

Got to go back to Doctors at the end November, I brought myself a glucose meter and at the moment 54Kg weight, ? cholesterol and blood readings down to 4 /5 fasting and 5 to 5.6 after food went down to 3 on metformin so I stopped taking them 3 days ago.

Still on good blood tests. And feeling well. I am a vegetarian as I can not contribute towards animal cruelty.

Last edited:

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi June3579,

Very well done to you too. It does take a level of commitment to go down this lchf path but as everybody else on this forum have said before it works so well. I just think of myself as being allergic to high carb food now.

Reactions: Prem51

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Thank you PoppyPetal, is was not easy. I was a coffee addict 12/15 a day with 2 sugars made with milk, had to take it down to 1 cup a day, which I have with my first meal at around 3/4 o'clock after a 16 hour fast.

After food I will eat a peach and apple now and some almonds up until 10/11 o'clock.
Due to the MS I do not sleep that well so I have become a night owl.

On this diet my MS and arthritis has got a lot better also, I am not hungry, I do miss coffee as I do not really like water but that is a small price to pay to get the diabetes under control.

You have down amazingly well PoppyPetal, I hope my results are as good when I go to the Doctors.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi June3579,

Wow that was some coffee addiction. You have done great to remove all of that sugar from your diet. I still have 2 or 3 cups a day but the afternoon one is always decaf!

Just a thought. The apple and or peach after your meal. Could you perhaps not swop that for raspberries or strawberries? These are both lower carb options and you can enjoy them with spoonful of cream. Even the frozen ones from Lidl's are nice.

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Yes It was quite an addiction, I was having strawberries and cream for a while but have to admit to needing something sweet.

Today is a "cheat" day so I treated myself to two squares of fair-trade chocolate and half a mango, my readings are still low so I think allowing yourself a treat makes the low carb eating easier. I am going to buy some "super foods" tomorrow to cook with so it will be interesting to see how that works out.
I have sent for a cholesterol testing kit just to see if it is coming down or not, The Doctor put me on Statins for it but I can not bring myself to take them, Of cause if my cholesterol level has not gone down then I will take them.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I ag
Many say testing after one hour is to soon we will always spike a certain amount after an hour even a non diabetic can have quite a high spike an hour from eating it is normal
I agree about one hour testing , two hours and over is sufficient .

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Well the answer to that is all you good people on here who have been there and done it! Just come back from the doctors and blood tests taken after 19 weeks lchf are completely different. My doctor was completely at a loss for words that I have been able to get hab1c from 6.5% to 4.9% in this time. He was asking all sorts of questions like what am I eating etc. Parting words were I am off all blood pressure medication and metformin now, to keep doing what I have been doing and to come back for a revision in 4 months when if things are still doing the same he will then just need to see me annually! Not stopped smiling since and must have looked a bit of a mad woman in the supermarket! I am just so happy but I know I have to stick with this as still got weight to lose. Incidentally I have lost 20kgs in 21 weeks. Thank you to everyone here for all of your posts, the help and motivation have been immense, to those of you who have given advice and pointed me in the right direction I cannot thank you enough. To those newbies on here take heart, get with this way of life and don't look back!
Very well done - an inspiration to us all - that's so where I want to be. I'm 9 weeks in since diagnosis and my last HCAC1 was 7.0 so I have a ways to go yet.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nicksu,

I am sure if you stick with this programme your results will be just as impressive. One day at a time and you will get there. Be positive and we'll all be congratulating you soon too!

Hi June3579,

Just a word of warning my cholesterol figures have gone up on lchf, not by a lot but up. AtkinsMo posted on another of my threads giving the reason that this sometimes can happen to start with and the reason for it. I'm hoping this will have gone down again by January.

Hi Rog,

I only ever tested before eating plus 2 hours after etc unless I had eaten something that I thought I shouldn't have and then I maybe checked at 1 hr too but that was only a couple of times. My figures now are much better so I stick with all my tried and tested meals.

Thank you all for your input.

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
I am a vegetarian so I do not eat foods that raise my cholesterol, I eat mainly a raw food diet, Nuts and salad, I also fast 16/18 hours a day.

All in all I am feeling good my bloods are on average 5.00/5.5, My arthritis is under good control, I was taken off all the medication for it on Monday.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am a vegetarian so I do not eat foods that raise my cholesterol, I eat mainly a raw food diet, Nuts and salad, I also fast 16/18 hours a day.

All in all I am feeling good my bloods are on average 5.00/5.5, My arthritis is under good control, I was taken off all the medication for it on Monday.

Total cholesterol is not all that important. Elevated HDL and low triglycerides are what you should aim for.

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
I agree, the Doctor wanted to put me on Stains which I can not bring myself to take, My interest in getting them down is to prove to the Doctor that I did not need the Stains, My aim is like you to be Diabetes free. I am sick of being ill and I refuse to take any more tablets.

Paulwgun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had some good results myself in the 3 weeks I've been low carbing BG now averaging 6.6 from 10+ and lost a stone in weight and reading your post has inspired me to charge onwards
A very good app if anyone is interested is "my fitness pal" you can enter your foods and it gives a breakdown of your calories, nutrition and macro nutrients you can also set your carb, protein and fat % as you want them

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Well done Paulwgun, keep going, My average is 5.3, I am hoping to get it down further over the next month, also hoping to lose a further 5Kgs but it is getting harder as I get down to an idea weight, I will have a look for that app.

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
I have done it, I am no longer suffering from Diabetes, my Doctor gave me the results today my HBA1C level is 35 mmol/mol.
My Doctor told me the recommend diagnostic for type 2 diabetes is 48 mol/mol.

every thing else is well within the normal range, She told me I longer have to test my bloods or worry.

I am going to keep to this way of eating because I feel so good on it.

Good luck if you are starting out, don't give up it is worth it.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done june3579 that's great news for you. Personally I think I will always keep testing occasionally no matter what any doctor says. I know now that I am carb intolerant as strayed off course a couple of times last week while on holiday and noticed the difference. Low carb will always be my way of life from here on in!

june3579

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
illness
Hi Poppy, I am now eating a raw food diet and still testing my bloods, I want to know what might affect my bloods.

I also want to lose a few more Kgs.