Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Me, too. Since diagnosis I have had several severe encounters with the 'Black Dog' which have been no more awful than the encounters I had before being diagnosed.

I was told that the reason diabetes and depression often go together is because us diabetics feel 'different' and that our lives are not in our own control any more. What a load of codswallop! I feel sure that if that was the reason the next bout of depression would have kicked in shortly after being diagnosed with T2 rather than waiting a couple of years.

The meds seem to change side effects. The first time post T2 diagnosis I was able to take fluoxetine without any problems but the next time - about a year later - it caused me to shake and have really horrible cold sweats. At the moment I'm taking amitriptyline at night for arthritis which seems to be helping with the depression but then the doctor prescribed another antidepressant to take during the day and I walked around like a zombie - I stopped taking it - felt a bit better - and am now just giving myself a lot of TLC.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
IMG_1480605076.111769.jpg

I think its quite normal to have anxiety. People don't fully realise the full symptoms of it though.

I didn't until I realised for the first time in my 50+ years I had started swearing! Only after frustrations with health professionals to be honest but I think it is important to all people to recognise fuller symptoms as anxiety is a huge part of depression.

There are counsellors and health professionals that are attached to some hospitals now that can talk and help with depression around diabetes. I know I have been offered it recently from my new hospital diabetes team. They have actually failed to recognise though that they were the biggest cause of my anxiety and depression.

Talking is good and sometimes its good to talk to persons that make you think about alternative positives to life as a whole. I have a cancer therapist who has been so fantastic with me about all my health issues.. totally not a nurse or a doctor but has taken the time out to contact the professionals to get them to talk and help me better.
She also given me alternative ways to think. Ie before testing, injecting etc each morning just switch on some relaxing music. I don't do it at 4am when I have my first jabs but I do at 8am.

There is some good help available, for anybody that is struggling then please see GP or hospital team etc....

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I know it sounds horrible but I am so glad you have just made that post. I have been diagnosed with type 2 for about 18 months now and find it hard to deal with, I have noticed deperssion creeping up on me. I thought I was just be stupid, it didn't occur to me that the two things could be connected. I can now view everything differently and hopefully cope better
It took alot for me to write it but i thought maybe i wasnt alone and it looks like i wasnt, I hope youre okay and i hope that things brighten up

Reactions: himtoo

jamesland214

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm had depression before and it was literally the worst thing I've ever experienced, the sad thing though is that I can slowly feel myself becoming depressed again because of type 1 diabetes. Looool im only 17.

Im just wondering if anyone else suffers with depression along with their diabetes?

Ive had it for 8 years and i struggle on a daily with keeping up with everything the jabs the readings the food the best diet all the jargon that comes along with having this illness and tbh i feel alone my family are amazing and my boyfriend is the best man i could ask for but i just need to feel like im not alone with others with diabetes.

sorry for this to be a down post.

Keisha xo

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how u feel I had depression for many years before T2 and was on Anitriptyline for over 10 yrs but doctor want me to change to new tabs came of amitriptyline and felt great so didnt go on new tabs and lost 2stone felt great but it was a to high feeling was out of control now been diagnosed as BPD won't go on new tabs as they put on weight but now highs are getting less lows more I don't know what to do see councillors but they are useless sorry to moan .
I feel for you, I've got a probable diagnosis of c-ptsd and am currently being passed from one department to another. I'm in crisis at the moment but trying to get the help seems impossible.

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I to have type 1 and I have severe depression, bi-polar terrible panic attacks, not very good blood glucose levels always very high. I also have gastroperisis so cannot eat a lot of foods, hence why my bg levels are not very good, some days can't eat at all. The Medes that I take list so long but my gp is very good especially when I get pain from my stomach have to take oral morph at home instead of being admitted to hospital for the pain relief. If I went into detail of all of my meds I would be on here all day. Confined to bed on most days, so don't get much exercise so control of my diabetes is very erratic. So I sympathise with any diabetic who has depression. Diabetes, blood sugar levels, unable to eat and constantly in pain all related back to diabetes from the age of 14 and now 50 and still can't get it right, so I deeply understand where you all are coming from
If you need to talk about anything just drop me a line
Jade

unlock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You are far from alone. I've had diabetes for a while now and have depression, anxiety and PTSD on top of it In from recent years. I struggle constantly and always feel I cant get my diabetes right and with the anxiety that doesnt help. I try my best to keep fit, eat properly (on between 50 to 90g of carbs a day), gave up smoking and still doesnt seem to do anything for me. BUT I keep my head up and try to remain as positive as possible. Got good support when I need it and a great diabetic team! Although I struggle, hang it there, there's always more people who care and love you then we think!

Reactions: keishamarie

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply at the moment Ive been up all night in severe pain, usually I get up to stop my family from getting up in my pain distressed state and get a blanket and take my oralmorph. My family are very understanding but there is no point for them to be awake, depression and low feeling of not getting any blood sugar levels correct and only able to take yogurt as my main food and the pain levels affect my blood sugar levels. I can't give any positive advice but I am starting to find speaking out on this forum helps me to feel that I'm not alone in my illness so hope to hear how people cope with diabetes, depression and complications of diabetes. I have a lot of things happening to me because of complications relating to poor management of blood sugar levels but will go into when I accept what they are.
Love Jade

M

mist

I combat my depressive states with occupation. As in, keeping busy. Housework, exercise, gardening..etc

It may well be just distracting myself, but hey better that than doing nothing.

A regular read of any of Claire Weekes books also help to rebalance your mind and remind you that hey, it's all perfectly normal bodily responses to elevated adrenaline levels.

Calm the mind, the body will follow.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm had depression before and it was literally the worst thing I've ever experienced, the sad thing though is that I can slowly feel myself becoming depressed again because of type 1 diabetes. Looool im only 17.

One thing id say is if you can feel it coming then dont let it take hold, take action now sweetie. Youre only 17 youve got so much ahead of you

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I to have type 1 and I have severe depression, bi-polar terrible panic attacks, not very good blood glucose levels always very high. I also have gastroperisis so cannot eat a lot of foods, hence why my bg levels are not very good, some days can't eat at all. The Medes that I take list so long but my gp is very good especially when I get pain from my stomach have to take oral morph at home instead of being admitted to hospital for the pain relief. If I went into detail of all of my meds I would be on here all day. Confined to bed on most days, so don't get much exercise so control of my diabetes is very erratic. So I sympathise with any diabetic who has depression. Diabetes, blood sugar levels, unable to eat and constantly in pain all related back to diabetes from the age of 14 and now 50 and still can't get it right, so I deeply understand where you all are coming from
If you need to talk about anything just drop me a line
Jade
I can join in with the gastroperisis thing, im the same ive had it for a while now and it stops me eating some days but then im forced to due to blood sugars

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can join in too!! Chronic colon inertia and stomach issues. Very little eating and chronic pain from it all. Some meds for it have crippled my brain functioning!!

Nothing for the problems are really effective. There needs to be a lot more awareness of these problems and how to cope with them..

Thinking of anybody that has gp or chronic colon inertia... xx

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my depression comes and goes, seems to happen randomly but it's not diabetes related although it could be linked to consistently high blood sugar like mine (22 mmol/l average on my meter), i think its mainly down to my circumstances such as: temporary accommodation, stressed about where to go when I don't have a place to live, no job no income and completely reliant on family for help. when you have this mindset of not knowing your own future or lack of one makes you more depressed and the only sure way I can stave off the depression is by alcohol.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my depression comes and goes, seems to happen randomly but it's not diabetes related although it could be linked to consistently high blood sugar like mine (22 mmol/l average on my meter), i think its mainly down to my circumstances such as: temporary accommodation, stressed about where to go when I don't have a place to live, no job no income and completely reliant on family for help. when you have this mindset of not knowing your own future or lack of one makes you more depressed and the only sure way I can stave off the depression is by alcohol.
22mmol???! Thats putting a lot of stress on your body and heart.
Shoot up some insulin, exercise, do something.
Don't let this diabetes consume you, you're better than that.

Depression comes with swings in blood sugar levels i find, usually when its low with me.

Reactions: keishamarie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I am sure you have heard this before but alchohol does not stave off depression. Sure it can numb emotions etc but it will make things worse.

Once I pretended to be a.n alcholic to go to an alcholic anonymous group to help somebody we knew. I wanted to know what happened in this group if I could persuade him to go. I basically told them his habits. They were really supportive and lively people that had been through **** because on a cycle of depression and then the addiction took over their lives. Some had been to prison. All of them had lost their families. My friend eventually went, but not before he had lost his driving licence, his job, his partner.

I know this will appear not to be suppprting you in a depressed state of mind but you can get help to turn evrything around. Mind set is the biggest challenge. You have to want to change. Sadly sometimes its that someone has to be in the gutter before they recognise this.

Have you ever spoken to anybody about everything in your life?

For people seriously in danger of slef harm (and drink is self harm) there is help. Even 111 option 2 ives you someone to talk to if bad options are being considered.

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
When as first diagnosed, I was not in a good place and just didn't want to deal with this disease, but I told myself the good things about the disease and what good things could happen and I kept going.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The good, for those that may have forgotten:

You may not think that check ups are imoortant now, but boy, they are. They also mean that you are given "better opportunity" with earlier appts if you need operations long term etc.
Yes, its medical.. but you will have things like blood pressure monitored for the rest of your life... and so many "normal"people don't and have heart attack etc...

You can make this an opportunity to look after yourself and your health... and then look at the damage negligence does to "normal" people..

For younger ladies.. you will get such good care if you get pregnant and have children.

It can make us in to "fighters" and stronger in our characters. I always thought I had to prove myself more as a Manager because of my diabetes... but boy, that has made me stronger in other areas.

I am a community person... interested in people and their welfare... only as a volunteer.. but so many "normal" people do nothing for others.

Its not a case of making myself feel better than others for doing that little bit more. Its about feeling worthy, having a purpose and keeping occupied when sad, bad thoughts can be overwhelming.

Reactions: samantha13