Pumps - are they uncomfortable?

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm considering getting a pump but I'm a little concerned about the tubes and cannula being uncomfortable, especially at night? I also get extremely itchy and achey when I have a cannula in for a drip so am wondering if the pump cannulas feel similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends where you site the cannula really. Most pumps require site changes every 3 days so if you find where you have it to be uncomfortable you'll only have to move it in a day or two anyway, so it's no big deal.

I hate being cannulated in hospital. Having a pump in doesn't feel anything like that for me. I often forget where I've sited my pump and have to give myself a little pat down to find it.

Have look on YouTube for people actually using and placing pumps. Have a little Google for belts and things to wear pumps in to make sure they are nice and comfy and tucked away. It all ends up working fine when you find a way that suits you.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sarebear86 most of the time I'm completely unaware of it. I wear it in a Hid-in pump belt, and that's very easy to wear, and I rarely feel the cannula. Actually if I DO feel the cannula I assume that it's because it might have an issue so I change it straight away in those (very rare) scenarios.

In bed it's fine - sometimes I have it in my pocket, sometimes in its belt, sometimes just in a sock but 'free range' in the bed if *coughs* it's a warm night.

I borrowed an obsolete pump from my diabetes centre for a couple of weeks, and I test-wore it - I was staggered at how much less of a 'thing' it was than how I'd imagined.

I'd had diabetes for over 29 years before I got my pump. I wish I'd pushed much, much sooner for the opportunity to get one!

:)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I forget Ive got mine on most of the time, at first (maybe a day or three) when you first start off on a pump you are constantly checking, but after that its just like its part of you.

Unlike @Snapsy I only have warm nights during the summer hahaha

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I'm considering getting a pump but I'm a little concerned about the tubes and cannula being uncomfortable, especially at night?

I'm using a tubeless pump but don't find the Pods uncomfortable at night or during the day, in bed I try not to lay on the side where the pod is placed but apart from that all is good :)

also get extremely itchy and achey when I have a cannula in for a drip so am wondering if the pump cannulas feel similar?

The hospital cannula is inserted into a vein which makes it uncomfortable and itchy, a pump cannula is inserted into the subcutaneous tissue just like on MDI, like the ladies (and Gaz) who have replied above I rarely feel the cannula in my body.

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the responses guys! I'm thinking I might as well give it a go especially if it's as easy as everyone says it is

Reactions: Snapsy

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the responses guys! I'm thinking I might as well give it a go especially if it's as easy as everyone says it is

Have you actually spoken to your consultant or DSN and been given an indication they would support you having a pump? That's the first step.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
They were the ones that suggested it but I was unsure.
it is some work -- you are needing to test a fair few times a day and your carb counting needs to be pretty spot on too.

I have been on a pump now for 14 months -- ( 44 years as a T1D )
best decision I have made :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I been pumping for a month now and it is the best thing I have done. So much more control

Reactions: Snapsy and himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't notice my pump at all, and often forget where my cannula is. When I first got my pump, I was aware of it for a couple of days simply because I wasn't used to it, but after that I didn't and don't notice it at all :)

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
don't notice it at all I've been pumping almost 11 years. Wouldn't give it back in a million years wish I'd gone on it sooner, I've been type 1 for 30 years

LauraR88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although I'm not yet on a pump (I'm in the process of getting one) i do wear Iports, where the canula sits under the skin and you inject into the iport as I am not that great with injections. I don't feel my cannula at all, I did however after a whole start to itch and panicked thinking I was taking a reaction when Infact I wasn't, but I was given Cavilon. This is a barrier cream you put on prior to putting in the iport (or in your case a pump) and this stopped any itching I had hope that helps

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I'm not yet on a pump (I'm in the process of getting one) i do wear Iports, where the canula sits under the skin and you inject into the iport as I am not that great with injections. I don't feel my cannula at all, I did however after a whole start to itch and panicked thinking I was taking a reaction when Infact I wasn't, but I was given Cavilon. This is a barrier cream you put on prior to putting in the iport (or in your case a pump) and this stopped any itching I had hope that helps

Thanks Laura! I didn't know they could give you anything to help with the itching, that's good to know

Reactions: himtoo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can't feel it - I often forget I am wearing it. The part that takes the most getting used to is carrying it around all the time (in pockets, at bedtime etc)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It is nothing like the ones in hospital. The ones in your hands? Those hurt like a mf. I'd compare the initial set going in to when you get blood taken at the hospital. But once its in its in. I have my pump in a pouch around my neck at night, or down my bra during the day (they say one boob is always smaller so find that site and throw it in!) so it doesn't bother me but there are a world of options on how to store it to get the best rest you can. Some just shove it under their pillow tho. I don't find it itches, not unless I've left it in too long and need to change it and that just depends on the person. If you heal faster you will need to change faster as your body will try to start expel the site but if you don't you should get 3 days. Heat or cold can cause an itch but nothing too bad.

smith17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been on a pump now for 5 weeks..35 years T1D. Resisted the pump for some years but was running out of options with pens so finally took the plunge. Taken a week or so to get levels right and to get use to the presence of it but defiantly the right move.
If you are lucky enough to be offered one go for it, the benefits far out way any of the little problems it may bring.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
GPs can prescribe a spray to help remove the cannula after.
The cannulas are so tiny. They are minute, nothing like cannulas in veins etc!! If you can feel a cannula, it is a signal that it is not going to be working effectively,so best to change it.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have followed this advice from you @donnellysdogs ever since I started on a pump last year - I came across many of your posts when doing my pre-pump research!

:):):)

Oops.. I'm not even on my pump anymore either!!