I wonder ???

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
there are a lot of people on here who now more about diabetes type 2 than me and will always, but as I'm new I wonder if a persons weight and metobalism (cant spell big words, sorry) have an impact on type 2, the reason I ask is that since ive been using my meter I have managed my readings , 4 times a day, apart form cutting out the sugar, I'm still eating the things that are supposed to be bad, rice, bread, potatoes,ready meals and my average reading is just over 7 , perhaps I'm lucky and my diabetes is different to other people,s, I dunno, but it does seem strange, I'm working 12 hours shifts, nights and cooking during these times is hard to do.

S

Shar67

The diabetic reading that is important is you Hbca1 test, also how long are you waiting to test after eating bread, rice, pototaes etc. Weight and metabolism do play a part as does exercise.

Reactions: callyandy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
When are these "4 times a day" tests..??
Ideally a test on waking then just before a meal & two hours later. Then one before bed? Which will give you a picture of how your diet works day to day...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes the important number is the HbA1c your allover average number which shall be optimally under 34 to have really normalized, whch is usually hard to get down to.

it is fine you don´t spike over 7.8mmol after a meal.... if you eat fast spiking foods you must measure at 1 hour after to see how high you spike, if you eat slower spiking eals you should measure after 2 hours, where your number should again be normalised

but if you have very high morning numbers and is high in between meals also , then your HbA1c will be too high , and it means that your risk of complications will be raised, the higher the more.... but even a small raise do raise ones risks..so it is important to avoid the carbs as much as one can manage.. and especially the high spiking carbs..

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
You will definitely need to make a record of the foods you consume for each meal and test before and 2 hours after each meal. This is not a hard chore once you get used to it, but it is essential that you find out what type of food gives the high readings.
The foods high in carbs are wheat products,potatoes, rice,pasta biscuits cakes, Yes, that's right, all the nice things.including those that are loaded with sugar, honey syrup etc.
You can test breakfast one day and lunch the next and so on but this will take much longer to gather all the info.
When you have a rough idea of acceptable foods, you can start to add exercise to your daily tasks and test this as well.
You can start weighing your self when you reach a satisfactory diet and are progressing with the exercise..
You will find every thing you need to know on this site.
Keep a daily diary. Keep reading. Keep upbeat and breathe.
You lead a fairly hard life. So more power to your elbow. :cat:I think you are doing fine.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Testing is good but we already know what foods spike blood sugar - high glycemic load carbohydrates. Get a phone app or little book on the glycemic loads of foods. That's all you need. Eat more protein, fiber, and fats.