Type 1: walking around and sugar level today

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi today i have been out and about i went to local shopping centre today which is a fifteen minutes walk away came home then after a bit about hour went back and i came back home ate food injected 10 units of novorapid sugar was 7.0 after 3 hours sugar went to 5.3 so ate a banna normaly 10units would be fine could my sugar have droped more becuase i have been walking around today?.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all, 5.3 is a very good number and certainly not a hypo.

To answer your question, walking around could ABSOLUTELY cause your blood sugar to drop. Exercise has a tremendous (in a good way) effect on my numbers. If I take a week off from the gym, my insulin needs can increase by more than 50%.

Staying between 5.3-7 is a pretty good day in my opinion.

Reactions: KezG and Jaylee

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes our blood sugar can keep coming down after excessive! I would certainally say if you've stayed at 5.3 then the 10 units has been good! I play golf a lot and aim for my bs to be 7 after I've completed a round then by the time I get home it will be below 6 without any additional bolus. Hope this helps.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @static192 the same happened to me yesterday I was out shopping and I dropped to 4.2 luckily caught it before it got any lower, I find shopping is one of the best exercises to drop my bg levels, my theory is that your brain burns up glucose at a faster rate due to all the decision making !

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steady exercise seems to have this effect on blood sugar.

Both walking and playing golf have got me to the stage where for breakfast and lunch (approx 40g of carb for each) I need no bolus (novorapid) as my blood sugar returns to the pre-food level within 2 hours. With golf I, sometimes, have to take food during a round to keep my levels above 5.

I've steadily increased the amount of walking I do and have been able to reduce my basal (Lantus) by a third as well.

Reactions: Diakat

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi today i have been out and about i went to local shopping centre today which is a fifteen minutes walk away came home then after a bit about hour went back and i came back home ate food injected 10 units of novorapid sugar was 7.0 after 3 hours sugar went to 5.3 so ate a banna normaly 10units would be fine could my sugar have droped more becuase i have been walking around today?.

So you were 7 before lunch? You bolused 10 units of novorapid - do you carb count? What were you having for lunch? 3 hours after lunch you were 5.3. Personally, I think that's a great number to be and it sounds like the 10 units was fine. If you felt like you were dropping you could have continued checking your blood sugar. Did you have any symptoms suggesting you wer dropping? But you ate a banana, was that uncovered by any insulin? What did your blood sugar look like after that?

What would you usually expect your blood sugar to be after lunch? I probably wouldn't call anything "a drop" unless I was actually hypo. Your blood sugar of 5.3 was in normal range. But if you feel like your 10 unit bolus for lunch was more effective than usual, that could be because the exercise had increased your insulin sensitivity.

Edited by a mod as referring to a deleted post.

Last edited by a moderator: