Dominating my conversations!!!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do get a bit obsessed talking about it but luckily for me my son (not diabetic but was once a little pudgy) saw my results and started LCHF himself, lost two stone, gained a six pack and is now more of a zealot than me. He is forever sending me clippings and news snippets about nutrition related stuff to the point where I am the one getting bored of it! :);) When he phones me there's maybe half an hour of the latest food scandals, new low carb initiatives, or dissing of those who are anti low carbing - before he gets round to asking for money! :D

I love your story he sounds great pure motivation

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will talk quite obsessively when the mood takes me with genuinely interested friends.

One of my students and I are renowned for our long conversations on the subject! (He's Type 1, but my coming to terms with Type 2 has, in some strange way, helped him to articulate some of his stuff and to gain a better understanding of his own management. It's helped me support him better.)

I am also remarkably reticent with those who are only interested in the fact I've lost 8 stone and want to know my "secret" or who know all about how I should be managing or what I should be eating based on the one person they know with diabetes. Or the TV documentaries they have recently watched.

I will be particularly sharp with those offering food who won't take no for an answer or who go "Go on, just once won't hurt."

@Japes amazing 8 stone is amazing and hell yeah good for you it's now 10:45 and I've been to the local for a few glasses of wine to watch the football and instead of a kebab I'm cooking tomorrow's egg bacon pepper cream and cheese bake for breakfast because I know it's good for me

Reactions: Energize

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arghh. No disrespect meant to vegans, but diabetes is hardly a life choice. Bless you for not quipping back!!
[/QUOTE]
Especially if you really really like a pizza and a Chantilly cake but you are eating with the handbrake pulled.

By the way I know a really nice vegan woman that knows how to cook and is not pushy at all , we can talk together about recipes an diabetes without problems.

Reactions: callyandy

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And people should talk about how you look so good weight loss is great isn't it I've done a stone so far aiming or 3 more but maybe to ambitious!?!?

Yup, loosing the weight is a great side effect of this lifestyle change. 3 more isn't too ambitious. I've read that we can stall at some point, but my view is just keep doing what you're doing and it will all come good ☺️

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup, loosing the weight is a great side effect of this lifestyle change. 3 more isn't too ambitious. I've read that we can stall at some point, but my view is just keep doing what you're doing and it will all come good

Good for you I love your attitude keep up the good work

Reactions: Freema

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Especially if you really really like a pizza and a Chantilly cake but you are eating with the handbrake pulled.

By the way I know a really nice vegan woman that knows how to cook and is not pushy at all , we can talk together about recipes an diabetes without problems.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know I shouldn't generalise. To be honest I don't envy vegans. Couldn't do it myself. If I were not type 2 not on Meds, the closest I could come to vegan would be a diet of walkers cheese and onion crisps. Rats blown it already. Cheese. D'oh!!!

Last edited:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good for you I love your attitude keep up the good work

By the way I've lost 20lb and want to loose perhaps another 3 stone too. I'd say race ya, but that un does all I said above . Keep me posted though. There's a Friday weigh in thread somewhere...

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm almost 2 months into this new life of diabetes, and It seems to be dominating my life.
As I have to be conscious of what I eat and drink and testing and new foods and everything, it's constantly on my mind and in my head and I'm in fear that it's all I talk about to mates and colleagues !!?? Does anyone else get sudden consciousness that your boring the person you're talking to and just shut up because you have nothing else to say ???
I hope it's not just me
Ok its early days for you, but diabetes is livable. You will soon learn the amount of carbs you need, most meats and vegatables are free in the correct portions and the way they are cooked. Just read the amount of sugar in foods ie:- low fat yogurt, that kind of thing. You will be surprised of the amount of sugar in so many foods. Life is what you make it. Think diabetes is easy to live with, you can do sport anything you put your mind to. Do not let it rule your life, you are in charge not it.

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I'm almost 2 months into this new life of diabetes, and It seems to be dominating my life.
As I have to be conscious of what I eat and drink and testing and new foods and everything, it's constantly on my mind and in my head and I'm in fear that it's all I talk about to mates and colleagues !!?? Does anyone else get sudden consciousness that your boring the person you're talking to and just shut up because you have nothing else to say ???
I hope it's not just me

Ho boy.

Friend, I'm an Aspie- and can bore for Britain, any subject you care to mention. Still, your need to talk will pass. I'd not worry!

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
I hope it's not just me
You are not alone my friend - 2 years later for me, and I try to make light of my "incidents" but even jovial doesn't work with those nearest and dearest to me - they just turn deaf or ignore. Thank goodness for the Forum where you at least get a response to your inner, perhaps scary, but well needed reassurance. I'm so glad I joined, the Forum and I'm sure you will slowly but surely grow in confidence. Would be so good to have backing and understanding of friends and family tho' - I'm still working on it without giving them the Zzzzzzzzz!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And people should talk about how you look so good weight loss is great isn't it I've done a stone so far aiming or 3 more but maybe to ambitious!?!?
no way mate I'm down just over 7 1/2 stone in the past year.. (then again I started at nearly 23..)

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I am finding it tricky because my daughter is recovering from an eating disorder and I am trying not to mention me struggling from time to time with the lchf plan. Also feel so guilty and think if I had managed my own eating better maybe she would have had an easier time. But I am over 3 months since diagnosis and have, apart from a few blips, stuck to lchf eating and wearing the freestyle libre most of the time. I find it invaluable since as long as I keep scanning, I just can't ignore the food or exercise!

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
It's a serious disease. You are right to think about it and concentrate on the situation and your new life habits. Gradually you will find it less important to tell strangers about your ' problem ' . Try the Samaritans for a chat if needed !