Weed and diabetes

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
I was in California for most of November so picked up a script for marijuana - my partner had some edibles for period pain which worked very well and I just had some fun - at the dispensary there were a lot of people there with type 2 diabetes, so certainly a popular choice.

Reactions: 2 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Hey @zoze_j !

Haha course you won't get shot or lynched - you should be praised for speaking openly about it! I think people with diabetes should be encouraged to talk about these kind of things. I'm probably not a very good advocate for the condition but I'm planning on making changes!

Spirits and a diet drink is a good alternative - good shout! I usually just get on the beer and whatever shots are going!

I too have learnt how much of an impact it can have - I don't usually test when I'm out as I tend to forget I even have diabetes.

Going to cut out the drink I think until I get my sugars in order, I think alcohol is definitely not the best medicine!

Why thank you :p I really don't see the point in lying about it, even online. So I just run my mouth..and hope for the best!! :joyful:

To be honest, sometimes I also forget, but I always make sure I test before bed. Always.

That's awesome that you've accepted the fact that maybe you haven't had the best run so far, but you've decided to change it. I did the same thing :)

With regards to shots, I have a weakness also (we binge drinkers!). But I do try & limit those. Not just because of the sugar content, but also trying to avoid the inevitable swinging around a lamp post/policeman later in the evening (I do like a man in uniform & seem to gravitate towards them when drunk!!) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good luck with getting your sugars sorted! :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
drinking carb free booze will help a lot in terms of the blood sugar, although it is possible to drink beers and manage, you just need to take insulin with it but remember it drops your blood sugar and you need to compensate, preferably with a basal reduction.....

smoking weed in my opinion has no effect on blood sugar, none what so ever...lol,...however any smoke will increase your blood pressure, which is a big factor with retinopathy......

i admit to having a cheeky fag now and again, but I am on BP medication, so my BP is steady...

if your not on any, your team should maybe be thinking about it...purely as a preventative.....that's how I went on it initially....

ed209

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh I've smoked weed since the age of 15 and stopped and started again the only reason I started again is coz I found out I had t2 and every time I get my bloods taken they have been absolutely spot on I'm a normal guy with a family that I love a lot I'm no mental case so all these people who stereotyping people for smoking weed ain't right it has more medical properties then people think it calms me down when I feel low

VeronicaSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all!

Recently I've been evaluating my Type 1 diabetes life. I've had it for over 15 years now and still struggle to really get good control. Further to that, I enjoy a drink and have a sweet tooth. I do test my blood as often as I can and bolus for meals so I'm not terrible, it's just things could be better. This week I went to the eye hospital and found out that I have background retinothopy and that if I don't get things under control my eyes are going to get severely worse. It was a real reality check.

With that, I think it's time to stop drinking beer while I get things under control (I work in Media too so as you can imagine there's nights at the pub almost every week). Boozing is the one thing that probably makes things worse; drinking several pints results in eating a dirty McDonald's at the end of the night = high blood sugar.

So not drinking beer is probably going to be good in the long run, that said, I don't know if I could live being T Total!

I received an email only this week from diabetes.co.uk with some interesting arguments about how weed can be beneficial for diabetes (obviously I know smoking in general is not good, that's why I quite weed and cigarettes five years ago), but it got me thinking.

Obviously we all need to enjoy life and if it's something that can help then why not? I'm not saying I'm going to turn to smoking weed etc. just for the sake of it but wondered if it's better than drinking?

Does anyone have any opinions/ advice on this? Does weed help control your diabetes? Is it better than drinking beer? I know the obvious answer is don't smoke or drink but it would be good to hear what you think!

Thanks for reading my essay and enjoy your weekend!

Rick

Hi Rick, sorry its several days after your post but I think I may be able to help.
My diabetes is now so bad that the professor has given me a time limit on my life (due to insulin allergy) and the first thing I done after that appointment was look into weed and diabetes.
I took the decision to start smoking weed after speaking to my doctor and I can honestly say that it's the most beneficial decision I have ever made.
Before weed, my hba1c levels were sitting at 133 and now 6 weeks later (post weed) it has dropped to 110.
It is the only form of pain relief that helps me (muscle and nerve damage through diabetes) and it has helped take control of my hypo's.
I wouldn't suggest going over-board of course at first. However, I would at least be open-minded at giving it a try, everyone reacts differently to it I suppose.

I hope everything works out for you and you get better soon!

Tim1958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all!

Recently I've been evaluating my Type 1 diabetes life. I've had it for over 15 years now and still struggle to really get good control. Further to that, I enjoy a drink and have a sweet tooth. I do test my blood as often as I can and bolus for meals so I'm not terrible, it's just things could be better. This week I went to the eye hospital and found out that I have background retinothopy and that if I don't get things under control my eyes are going to get severely worse. It was a real reality check.

With that, I think it's time to stop drinking beer while I get things under control (I work in Media too so as you can imagine there's nights at the pub almost every week). Boozing is the one thing that probably makes things worse; drinking several pints results in eating a dirty McDonald's at the end of the night = high blood sugar.

So not drinking beer is probably going to be good in the long run, that said, I don't know if I could live being T Total!

I received an email only this week from diabetes.co.uk with some interesting arguments about how weed can be beneficial for diabetes (obviously I know smoking in general is not good, that's why I quite weed and cigarettes five years ago), but it got me thinking.

Obviously we all need to enjoy life and if it's something that can help then why not? I'm not saying I'm going to turn to smoking weed etc. just for the sake of it but wondered if it's better than drinking?

Does anyone have any opinions/ advice on this? Does weed help control your diabetes? Is it better than drinking beer? I know the obvious answer is don't smoke or drink but it would be good to hear what you think!

Rick
I'm type 1 and had to give alcohol up as it ******** my liver, so a spliff at bedtime is a great help in sleeping. Getting hold of decent hash ( I prefer resin) is the only problem!

Dear all.I'm a 32 year old male and have smoked cannabis now for 17 years in moderation(3/4 joints a night)I was diagnosed type 1 diabetes 5 years ago and have recently gone from injections on to a pump with CGM due to no hypo awareness. I have to be honest that smoking in general isn't a good idea but I have noticed I rarely get the munchies andmy sugars never go above ten.there have been many studies to prove that SKUNK&SUPER SKUNK are harmful as they contain high levels of THC and low levels of CBN which acts as a counter agent.unless it's legalised weren't sure of the strength we are taking and that why I tend to smoke WEED/ CANNABIS

Clarkeson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoking a blunt or hitting a few bongs doesn't mean you're definitely going to get 'the munchies', everyone has different events when they get high and personally I don't get the munchies, just body and head highs.

I find that my BG does slightly drop by usually 1 mmol and sometimes my sensitivity is higher. In regard to testing while high I have no issues when high.

However I'm not denying that research shows prolonged use causes mental health issues but can't say anything other than it helps my blood sugar greatly and i'd like to say for the record i'm not an uninformed kid.. I take my illness seriously and my HB1AC is 5.3%(36mmol or maybe 35 dont remember last) but I think everything in moderation is okay.

mshansen

Currently, I use both in moderation. I rarely drink beer these days, as it's a nightmare to control. Wine and spirit seem more or less neutral. As for cannabis - I usually only have a few puffs before bed, just to relax, but whereas weed gives me severe munchies, resin does not seem to. I'm not sure if anybody else has the same experience?

Boomarang01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Evening all!

Rick
Just read your post I also like beer if you could stick to coors light or pils you will find this is better for you also like someone says dry red wine has no efect don't know about the weed although it's great so knock yer self out I had to have laser treatment on my eye years ago as it bled internally I have been type 1 since 1969 I work 12 hours a day and I play in in a rock / punk band touring about the county I love beer fags weed the lot basically in this life if your time is up it's up you're only here once live it

chrissyWV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Evening all!

Rick
Assuming you are taking the weed in a water pipe and so not smoking, am pretty sure that weed is sugar and carb free, several pints of beer will help you put on weight

then there is the munchies....anyone who has taken weed in any form will know that it will turn an anorexic into someone who wants to eat lots, so you need to have a munchy free house or you will get stoned and then get peckish and more so

being sober in london is not too bad and recently tried out some low and no alcohol beers and ciders, some were excellent and others not worth buying again, so it is possible to go out with friends and drink low / no alcohol drinks and there is always lime and soda :)
i have same probs i blase and its all good makes u eat well to

Rickmac1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rick, sorry its several days after your post but I think I may be able to help.
My diabetes is now so bad that the professor has given me a time limit on my life (due to insulin allergy) and the first thing I done after that appointment was look into weed and diabetes.
I took the decision to start smoking weed after speaking to my doctor and I can honestly say that it's the most beneficial decision I have ever made.
Before weed, my hba1c levels were sitting at 133 and now 6 weeks later (post weed) it has dropped to 110.
It is the only form of pain relief that helps me (muscle and nerve damage through diabetes) and it has helped take control of my hypo's.
I wouldn't suggest going over-board of course at first. However, I would at least be open-minded at giving it a try, everyone reacts differently to it I suppose.

I hope everything works out for you and you get better soon!

Hi @VeronicaSmith – thanks for the reply and your insight!

Sorry to hear about your allergy and I hope things improve!

It's good that weed has helped your HBA levels, really interesting to get feedback from people like yourself! I'm definitely open-minded to smoking weed again, it's got to be worth a shot to see what impact it has! And you're right, everyone reacts differently but I think if you go in with a positive approach this will help in the long-run.

Thanks again for your advice!

isotsha

So has anyone actually tried cannabis in amy form to help with their diabetes. I'm looking into it but would love to hear the opinions of those how have tried or using now (for the diabetes) or plans to? Messgae me if you don't want to say on here.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So has anyone actually tried cannabis in amy form to help with their diabetes. I'm looking into it but would love to hear the opinions of those how have tried or using now (for the diabetes) or plans to? Messgae me if you don't want to say on here.
I've been a friend of MJ for 36 years now. I don;t get the munchies, it doesn't affect my BG levels and I've come across so much misinformation from those who don't partake - I usually don't talk about it anymore. I've been living with type 1 for 50 years, lived a rock'n roll lifestyle for a few years as I was a front man for a rock band that gigged a lot and the one common denominator in all of this - I've always been content, passionate and relatively happy and yes healthy. Does MJ have anything to do with it. I have no idea :) But if it works, and if it's legal where you live, why the hell not lol ....

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've just read your post. You sound just like me 30 years ago!! Trust me, all the beers and Maccy D's and weed aren't going to be a fond memory when you're on your 3rd operation to try and regain some sight due to proliferative retinopathy. It's just not worth it. You don't have to give up everything- just do it in moderation. You'll be fine

equipoise

I just felt someone sooner or later should point out that it's perfectly possible to have an enjoyable and happy life without getting regularly drunk, and it's possible to be chilled out without taking recreational drugs!

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a friend of MJ for 36 years now. I don;t get the munchies, it doesn't affect my BG levels and I've come across so much misinformation from those who don't partake - I usually don't talk about it anymore. I've been living with type 1 for 50 years, lived a rock'n roll lifestyle for a few years as I was a front man for a rock band that gigged a lot and the one common denominator in all of this - I've always been content, passionate and relatively happy and yes healthy. Does MJ have anything to do with it. I have no idea :) But if it works, and if it's legal where you live, why the hell not lol ....

Wow , inspiring :)!!

Reactions: pcs63