What do you miss most from being diabetic

Cake_maker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I miss refined sugar, but not tempted to try. After putting on 4 stone in weight, due to two different anti drepressents; since being diagnosed with type 2 in January. I've lost , over 6 Stone.

Reactions: SWUSA_

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic with the characters of Type 1, 4 years ago. Now, not that this is best practice, but since becoming a diabetic, it has really sorted out my eating habits and I am a lot happier and healthier since. I still enjoy all the same foods, just not in the same proportions and especially with sweet treats at as often. Testing my blood and injecting Insulin, isn't too much of a bother, because it doesn't take long. I guess what I miss most is "Freedom". By this I mean, if I forget to prep properly before heading out. I went on a country walk with my 4 year old and half way round, I started to have the effects of a hypo, so unfortunately I had to cut the walk short and hurry back to the car, with my 4 year old on my shoulders to get my glucose tablets. This was annoying. So lesson learned and always learning.[/miss vanilla slices , chocolate biscuits and my latest 2 foods that effect me now are eggs and fish

nailchewer

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negativity
I used to just jump in the car and go wherever, when ever i wanted, now i have to plan so i guess i am still resisting the fact that i am a type 2 diabetic. (Denial)

I always test now before a journey, for safety and always carry a banana and water (just in case). I do not get lows and neither do i get many highs.

I love the fact that i am now very comfortable with my eating regime, if anything a little smug, i am glad that i know i have type 2 and have been looking after myself for the past 20 years ( Acceptance).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I do miss all the different fruit I used to eat - I especially miss bananas. :(

bowtimeiwon

I've been diabetic for 20 yrs, last ten on insulin. Always had 'orrible blood glucose readings, until I went zero carbs. So mainly I do miss a really good roast potato, but that is a very small price to pay for getting readings of 6 - 7 most of the day. Insulin dropping accordingly

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Freedom to just go out on my bike or for a walk or run without having to think ahead and adjust insulin and make sure I have enough glucose tablets with me etc. It's so much easier now I'm on an insulin pump though, but the only down-side of that is that i can't wear some of my closer fitting dresses any more! Small price to pay though.

gbswales

Not having a mini magnum for a desert after dinner - I used to love them, especially in weather such as this ....
I make sure to build treats into my diet and that includes ice cream like mini magnum - it is actually easier with bars because the amount is controlled for you and the calories and carbs are on the packet

Reactions: magsiesss

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh been so long I can't remember not having the kit and caboodle!! When I was young and silly I used to go out on my bike for miles without anything (yes diabetic! my mum did NOT know!) I had no fear and didn't see my diabetes as anything different, stupid I know and these days I take the lot! Sometimes I am a bit slack and only have some crusty old glucose tablets in my coat pocket but hey I've come a long way!
Seriously though I sometimes look at my friends and think how nice it would be not to have 'all that stuff' just to leave the house. 'what do they have in their handbags?' They would have to ditch a few things if they were diabetic!

slipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Belgium choc biscuits at Christmas and having the confidence to go out without a worry .

Reactions: Freema

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess I also miss the spontaneity and not having to take a bag with me everywhere. I live in a rainforest now and I get myself caught up in spiky vines a lot more with a bag haha. There are times I don't take it but then I have to only go for a limited explore otherwise I could hypo without any food with me... That hovering in your mind kinda ruins the experience. I would love to be able to explore these thousand acres like my childhood forest in Canada.

hornplayer

I miss being able to just grab a meal with my colleagues between gigs. Low carb can be hard to find and any carbs before the gig and I get so thirsty I can barely play.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My even temper I've become really argumentative and moody at times since becoming diabetic.mind you I always was a bit argumentative but never angry for no apparent reason.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I miss just eating, not thinking about anything but just enjoying what it is I'm about to have - how nice....
I also miss starting my dinner/meals with everyone else as I need to test, work out the carb content etc then before you know it my brother in law is on his second helping and I've only just started !!!!
And what about those odd little treats you can probably squeeze in one without taking insulin but when you walk passed the bowl 10mins later and fancy that 2nd one, its injection time!!!

Babs_reek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you buy things on line,then they pass on your details,like your phone number,get so many unwanted calls.
Just thinking about birthday treat im planning for myself ,A long hike somewhere new and a pub lunch in the middle ,so biggest miss for me is just being able to hike without taking all the kit we need and having the only problem of hunger if too long without food and not the hypo /hyper type of worrying
I miss Baking,having a glass of wine,x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss Baking,having a glass of wine,x
1 glass of not sweet red wine is not that bad for blood glucose , actually 1 glass can lower ones blood glucose up to about 1 mmol, but only the first glass...because it blocks the liver a bit

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Being able to say to other people See I told you what would happen if you didn't lose weight.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found an online newspaper from when she was 18 talking about how she and my grandfather and another couple eloped from their mountain village to a nearby town and got married by a justice of the peace, shocking the locals. WHen my grandfather shortly afterwards went off with his rifle (which he showed me) to WWI with his and her family other members, she sent him a photo of the results in his absence, my father as a babe in arms with an inscription on the back saying "Keep the home fires burning", a popular song at the time on the radio. When you are raised rock farming, you know how to make and do lots of stuff with very little. The sheet music is here:

https://library.indstate.edu/about/units/rbsc/kirk/PDFs/sm1915_keep.pdf

About the composer is here:

http://theconversation.com/the-story-behind-world-war-is-greatest-anthem-100-years-on-31601

Sounds of the original recording and that version on Youtube has the words

so wonderful and romantic as well... wow
thanks for sharing those lovely family stories ,

yes my mothers family was also farmers and my grand father could do so many Things with his hands actually almost all kinds of hand-work

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thinking of Grandmothers, makes me think of the pasties mine used to make that could only just be fitted in the oven cross wise, and the Steak and kidney puddings with a suit crust two or three inches thick steamed for hours on the hob, or her Yorkshire puddings cut in to squares you could eat like a cake all things I would have to forego if she was still around to cook them.

I was only ever allowed half of one of her pasties when I was young a complete one was just too much to handle.

Reactions: Salvia

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of these days, we can talk rendering the hogs and making scrapple, no?

Making rope beds?

On the other hand, some of the things I learned as children and ate out in the country are definitely carborific and dangerous to the health. And some of them are accurately represented in the following cookbook , one of a series, but this one has the stuff that usually shows up at pot luck dinners

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580087744/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

what White Trash what a tittle ...

are you from the States ?

I am from Denmark , lately I´ve been thinking of my grand fathers skills, I think he must have learned stuff and mending and taking care of his house and little farm with some traditions going all the way back to the Vikings... but really they could create everything themselves in the old days out in the countryside....