very down about diabetes and its effect on my concentration

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You shouldn't ever feel guilty about being tired or anything like that, because think about it your body is trying to cope with something that it shouldn't have to do especially when you go low, as it's starving your brain cells of glucose therefore you feel so tired ! I feel knackered when I've been low all night but that's a fact of life and therefore shouldn't feel guilty about it ! chin up xxx
i guess i just feel guilty because i feel like it's my own fault when i go low, even though i know others don't have to deal with diabetes x

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Hi Hollyslot.
I have been there and done that. I was diagnosed 44+ years ago with T1 and take 5 injections a day (little and often).
I am assuming that you have been on the DAPHNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course and therefore are OK with adjusting you insulin doses.

From my experience, if you take too much insulin there is a tendency to create large waves (many high and low readings) with your blood glucose. You may find that by actually reducing your dose slightly, you may create ripples instead of waves. You should not be going low so often and it would suggest your insulin dose is too high or you are not eating the number of carbs you have estimated.

When you go low, your body hits the emergency button and issues all sorts of chemicals to try and get you out of trouble. Glucose is stored in the liver and released in LOW emergency. This can send you high for several hours after the low event.

This may lead you to take a correction dose at your next meal to get you back to where you want to be. This can get you into a vicious circle of highs and lows. This might explain your exhausted state.

Stress is also another factor in diabetes management and can increase your insulin requirement. You are in a new environment with lots of new situations.

I would suggest the following points might help you:
  • Try and avoid all lows
  • Perhaps set your low warning point on your meter a bit higher so you have time to react to a potential low
  • Try and run slightly higher that ideal for a little while until you settle in
  • Try relaxation to reduce the stress of your new environment - find a yoga or meditation class
  • With your diabetes team, review your insulin to carb ratio it may now be right
  • Be prepared to experiment to find out what works for you
  • Change only one thing at a time and let it settle for a few days then review
  • Use MindMaps (Tony Buzan) to take your notes in lectures - it's very effective and is great for swatting before exams
  • This forum is full of people who can shared expertise in living with diabetes
  • Keep asking until you get satisfaction - if you don't speak up how will anyone know there is a problem?
  • There is always somebody else who is worse off
  • Make sure your uni friends know you have type 1 diabetes and what to do in case they need to help you out
Remember. Yours diabetes team are there to help you - not the other way around. Obviously it is up to you to manage your day to day condition, but equally if you need extra support, they are there to get you straight, educate you and check you are coping. I always ask searching questions at my twice yearly appointment and would have no hesitation in asking for an urgent appointment if I need help or was worried about something.

I hope this helps
Silas

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hollyslot.
I have been there and done that. I was diagnosed 44+ years ago with T1 and take 5 injections a day (little and often).
I am assuming that you have been on the DAPHNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course and therefore are OK with adjusting you insulin doses.

From my experience, if you take too much insulin there is a tendency to create large waves (many high and low readings) with your blood glucose. You may find that by actually reducing your dose slightly, you may create ripples instead of waves. You should not be going low so often and it would suggest your insulin dose is too high or you are not eating the number of carbs you have estimated.

When you go low, your body hits the emergency button and issues all sorts of chemicals to try and get you out of trouble. Glucose is stored in the liver and released in LOW emergency. This can send you high for several hours after the low event.

This may lead you to take a correction dose at your next meal to get you back to where you want to be. This can get you into a vicious circle of highs and lows. This might explain your exhausted state.

Stress is also another factor in diabetes management and can increase your insulin requirement. You are in a new environment with lots of new situations.

I would suggest the following points might help you:
  • Try and avoid all lows
  • Perhaps set your low warning point on your meter a bit higher so you have time to react to a potential low
  • Try and run slightly higher that ideal for a little while until you settle in
  • Try relaxation to reduce the stress of your new environment - find a yoga or meditation class
  • With your diabetes team, review your insulin to carb ratio it may now be right
  • Be prepared to experiment to find out what works for you
  • Change only one thing at a time and let it settle for a few days then review
  • Use MindMaps (Tony Buzan) to take your notes in lectures - it's very effective and is great for swatting before exams
  • This forum is full of people who can shared expertise in living with diabetes
  • Keep asking until you get satisfaction - if you don't speak up how will anyone know there is a problem?
  • There is always somebody else who is worse off
  • Make sure your uni friends know you have type 1 diabetes and what to do in case they need to help you out
Remember. Yours diabetes team are there to help you - not the other way around. Obviously it is up to you to manage your day to day condition, but equally if you need extra support, they are there to get you straight, educate you and check you are coping. I always ask searching questions at my twice yearly appointment and would have no hesitation in asking for an urgent appointment if I need help or was worried about something.

I hope this helps
Silas
thank you very much!