What may be causing my confusion

bushbri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now 6 months into Type 1 and getting used to the routine. I have however recently had a couple of instances of confusion when shopping and cannot remember what I am meant to be doing. On the first occasion I was putting items in my bag without having scanned them and when challenged I had no idea if I had done so or what I was indeed doing. Yesterday I got to the self scan and could not work out what to do and had some assistance from my young son and a checkout lady.

My levels were not especially high or low and also yesterday no matter what I ate I could not raise my levels with readings of 6.8, 5.6, 4.7, 4.5

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks

Reactions: Freema

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels were not especially high or low and also yesterday no matter what I ate I could not raise my levels with readings of 6.8, 5.6, 4.7, 4.5s

If your levels were normal, it might be something not blood sugar/diabetes related causing episodes of confusion/blanking out. Are you on any other medication? Do you have any other conditions/illnesses? You might want to go and have a chat to your doctor about it.

What do you mean you couldn't raise your levels no matter what you ate? Were you having hypos yesterday? Were you taking insulin for what you were eating? Had you taken your background insulin? What was you blood sugar pre meal and two hours after? Did you test at all immediately after eating? What were you eating?

Reactions: Freema

bushbri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi catapillar, thanks for responding

I had a fairly normal eating day as I am usually low carb managed for my diet so I eat enough but do Agapiou excessive amounts

I was lower than I wanted yesterday so did eat some Doritos and then had a chilli with some friends and a little bread but my levels were still not increasing too much until later in the evening. I had a dessert too which I don't often do now but still seemed to not increase as my wife and I were expecting

I had a reading of 4.5 in the evening so had the Doritos was 8.4 at 7:30 then had a reading of 5.6 at 8:30 then 7 at 9:30 and was a little hesitant to have too much insulin. I will go see my Dr to chat through though as maybe me getting used to things too or as said something else entirely

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Are you taking statins?

bushbri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you taking statins?
No although a recent cholesterol test was a little high so I am awaiting a Dr chat but would prefer not to be prescribed them if I can help it and use diet to balance me out as I am fit and eat pretty well

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi catapillar, thanks for responding

I had a fairly normal eating day as I am usually low carb managed for my diet so I eat enough but do Agapiou excessive amounts

I was lower than I wanted yesterday so did eat some Doritos and then had a chilli with some friends and a little bread but my levels were still not increasing too much until later in the evening. I had a dessert too which I don't often do now but still seemed to not increase as my wife and I were expecting

I had a reading of 4.5 in the evening so had the Doritos was 8.4 at 7:30 then had a reading of 5.6 at 8:30 then 7 at 9:30 and was a little hesitant to have too much insulin. I will go see my Dr to chat through though as maybe me getting used to things too or as said something else entirely

If you were eating stuff high in fat, (chilli and cheese, a dessert full of cream or chocolate etc) then the carbohydrates in it aren't going to be digested immediately to raise your blood sugar quickly. That might be why you didn't peak up until 2 hours later.

You haven't mentioned anything about background insulin or whether you were bolusing for the food you were eating, so I'm a bit in the dark about that.

6 months post diagnosis you might be at the peak of a honeymoon period, so it is worth basal testing and testing your insulin to carb ratios. Certainly if you were having lots of hypos that would be an indication to do that. Although it doesn't sound like you are, so that's good.

bushbri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Novorapid balanced against carb intake (1 unit/10g carb). What is basal testing?

Rest makes sense and need to read up and learn more I think. Appreciate the help as can be confusing and overwhelming at times

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use Novorapid balanced against carb intake (1 unit/10g carb). What is basal testing?

Rest makes sense and need to read up and learn more I think. Appreciate the help as can be confusing and overwhelming at times

Basal testing:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

@bushbri , get yourself a copy of the book Think Like a Pancreas, it's an excellent book and covers most aspects of type 1 diabetes management.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now 6 months into Type 1 and getting used to the routine. I have however recently had a couple of instances of confusion when shopping and cannot remember what I am meant to be doing. On the first occasion I was putting items in my bag without having scanned them and when challenged I had no idea if I had done so or what I was indeed doing. Yesterday I got to the self scan and could not work out what to do and had some assistance from my young son and a checkout lady.

My levels were not especially high or low and also yesterday no matter what I ate I could not raise my levels with readings of 6.8, 5.6, 4.7, 4.5

Hmmm. Sounds a little like a 2.8er to me...? Simple tasks become "alien."
6 months into diagnosis. Could be your Pancreas havin jollities on the "honeymoon ".

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've thought about this myself with issues potentially down to diabetes after almost 30 years post diagnosis. Then I thought some things are just going to get more sketchy with age, I've had memory issues in my late 30's, down to stress/mind wandering. And yes it does happen when blood sugars are stable.

Despite trying to figure out whether some issues are age related, any recent large swings in blood sugar can affect cognitive ability / day to day quality of life. Also becoming spaced out for a variety of reasons that aren't even diabetes or age related, like when you drive somewhere on autopilot and can't quite remember the journey.