what is your bedtime sugar level?

IJL_Glos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes consultant advised me me to keep my bedtime blood sugar level above 9.0, but this means that in the morning it is still around 8.5
I usually have a light snack around 8pm and measure my bedtime level around 10pm.
My long term level hba1c level is 55/7.1, so my T2 diabetes is well controlled by the humalog & lantus insulin, but I'd like to reduce the hba1c level to the ideal range.
What bedtime/morning readings do others have & any suggestions for getting the morning level down without the risk of a nightime hypo?

Reactions: Freema

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 0,5mmol/l difference between your bedtime and waking bg levels is good and means your basal insulin (lantus) is pretty much spot-on. Is there a reason why your consultant wants you to keep above 9, have you suffered from nocturnal hypo's before or are you hypo unaware?

IJL_Glos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A 0,5mmol/l difference between your bedtime and waking bg levels is good and means your basal insulin (lantus) is pretty much spot-on. Is there a reason why your consultant wants you to keep above 9, have you suffered from nocturnal hypo's before or are you hypo unaware?
I usually know when a hypo is happening because I start sweating & feeling wobbly, so I can sort this out with glucose tablets & a biscuit or sandwich. I've never had a night time hypo

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually around 5 BUT I am very OCD about both jnaulin and my diet. I wake in the same territory.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I usually know when a hypo is happening because I start sweating & feeling wobbly, so I can sort this out with glucose tablets & a biscuit or sandwich. I've never had a night time hypo

Right, not sure why the consultant wants you to go to bed with higher bg levels, maybe ask them next time you see them.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me getting it bang on 5.5 is always my goal, if its a tad higher I wont correct of course....

its all about whether your basal is right overnight and how paranoid you have become over the years with hypos....some folk are paranoid, and for good reason, and others are not.....

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My endo wants me >8 before bed so that's what I aim for. It usually works well. Sometimes I get hypos during the night still though. I had one last night that I didn't wake up to treat. But I know the hypo hangover feeling and my sugar was 10.6 this morning which is the highest morning reading I've had in a while. I haven't had a night time hypo for a while mind you.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
@IJL_Glos I keep mine at 6.5 (117 mg/dl in the USA) or above at bedtime and wake to 4.8 to 6.2-(usually in the mid 5.4 to 6.1 range for last two weeks). I have only had one night time low below 3.8 that I know of-last week-it scared me and woke me up in a panic but I had a quick rise in BG with cereal bar and milk.
For my T1 daughter if she is below 6 she gets a biscuit

How cute the two of them are!

chewy22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Mine was 7.0 type 2 this morning 5.8 lowest it's been in a very long time.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine last night was 9.9 and this morning 6.1 this is an average for me and I have lost half a stone in the last 5 weeks.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi midschik I know your type 2 are you on insulin how have you achieved this I'm try ing to loose a bit but have had a couple of hypos