Net carbs

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
I was just wondering if I should count net carbs when counting my daily carbs and what would a normal carb count a day should I start on? (taking into account that I need to loose weight too) What are peoples feeling on Atkins? Is 20g net carbs a day too low to start with? How many carbs do you eat a day following Bernstein? What are peoples experience on these?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You should always count TOTAL carbs on packaging in the UK. That figure includes all sugars. Using nett carbs will give you a misleading figure as to your carb consumption.

Atkins.......no comment. The figure to start at is the one you are comfortable with and can maintain easily. No point in starting too low if it makes things difficult for you.

Ken

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
You get to a point, when you have done all the initial testing, that you know what keeps your numbers fairly level - barring illness, stress etc. So test, test, test! :)

At the end of the day I have found that the best way for me is to eat so that my meter tells me my levels are good. :D 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
MotherBear
This Net carb thing is a confusion caused by our US cousins. The {scientifically correctly] categorise cellulose or fibre as a carb, even though it's not digested: so when you work out how much carb you've absorbed, you need to subtract the indigestible part of your intake. Thus net carbs is what you get when you subtract the amount of fibre from your total carbs.
In the UK, only the digestible carbs[the sugars and starches] are listed as "carbohydrates". Fibre[which the Americans correctly know is a carbohydrate] is listed separately.
This is where understanding a bit about molecular structure is helpful.
Hana
PS
If Atkins suits you, go for it! It probably won't hurt you to try.
Altrernately "South Beach" is a little less severe.

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
Thank you guys. Sometimes searching the Internet is bad in the way that sometimes it loads you with too much information which only leads to more confusion! hehe! :lol:

The fact that you are cutting out alot of carbs is it ok to have fats in your diet or do you have to choose the low fat versions, like low fat cheeses etc?

ditzeeblonde

Hi MOtherbear

I have been doing Atkins since my diagnosis in the New Year, I have got my BG's from 18.9 to in the 4's, I have shifted 46lbs & never felt better...

of course this doesn't work for everyone as the 'original' Atkins was very strict & recommended only 20g carbs on induction... there is a New You Atkins book which has just come out & is far more flexible, if you can afford it I would highly recommend getting the book & reading thru it. It explains the science behind low-carbing incredibly well & has a lot of information on metabolic resistance & diabetes. I think the book would help for whatever low carb WoE you choose to follow.

Good luck Linzi.x