Possible insulin issues?

Suesh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone considered that the manufactured insulin is not made as well as it used to be and therefore not performing as it used to. I too have in the last 6 months almost uncontrollable high blood glucose, and having a correction fix does nothing, quite often increases the level. I have not changed my diet, exercise habits, gained weight, got stressed, suffered illness or anything obvious to make the consistent rise in sugar I am now experiencing. I change my injection sites constantly, yet nothing helps keep lower sugar levels. I have got to the stage of not eating carbs, just in case the insulin I am injecting, does not cover me!
Any thoughts anyone?

Reactions: SWUSA_

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the last 6 months? Is that maybe using insulin all collected at the same time from the chemist? If you really think it's not working it's possible you've picked up a batch that hasn't been stored correctly, or, have you checked the temperature where it's being stored?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone considered that the manufactured insulin is not made as well as it used to be and therefore not performing as it used to. I too have in the last 6 months almost uncontrollable high blood glucose, and having a correction fix does nothing, quite often increases the level. I have not changed my diet, exercise habits, gained weight, got stressed, suffered illness or anything obvious to make the consistent rise in sugar I am now experiencing. I change my injection sites constantly, yet nothing helps keep lower sugar levels. I have got to the stage of not eating carbs, just in case the insulin I am injecting, does not cover me!
Any thoughts anyone?
Any time my Novorapid seems to not be working as it should ( assuming its not obviously a bug) then I go and do some basal testing.

If your basal is too low then essentially your rapid ends up substituting for the basal rather than managing the carbs in uour meal.

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any thoughts anyone?
Hi, come to think off it. I've found that I've the same problem just thought my carb counting was wrong. I find that I need to double the dose. Which sometimes brings my sugars down. Never thought of it that way.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What insulins are you using? I believe there was a storage issue with one a while ago which affected its action.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Suesh Your basal needs can also change over time, do you ever do any basal testing to check this ? My basal needs can change season to season, it's a good idea every few months to do some testing to check this, otherwise as stated above change your cartridge or batch to ensure it's not this, good luck ;)

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was Novorapid that had issues, but it was a while ago.

Worth getting fresh insulin - ie fresh new pens/cartridges from your chemist.
Its been going on 6 months though. If foods are getting frozen in the fridge then fair enough it's probably storage at home. A warm fridge is probably the food poisoning raising BGs rather than bad insulin! Otherwise it is inaccurate carb counting or wrong basal levels.

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes I recently got new insulin. Am due to go on a pump in Jan. So might sort the problem.