Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is FAB @chalup

Brilliant, well described information on all the important points, made simple.
- salt intake
- cholesterol
- reducing insulin
- activity and exercise
- low carb foods
- eating to appetite
- incorporating veg
- avoiding fruit
- using fats
- appetite and satiety
- liquid intake
- foods to avoid, incl 'sugar free'
- how to read nutrition labels

Last edited:
Reactions: Terryrhino

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking forward to watching this

Just watched this and what a great video, I'm doing most of what he said but eating more that 20g a day but it's working bs down and weight down too more people need to see this I think

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, I've just watched this in my lunch break. I think I need to share it with some people in my life. Very, very useful - thank you @chalup !

:)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is by far and away the most concise and clear lecture I have ever seen about low carbing. I have only one tiny reservation. The Doctor says quite casually that if you are on insulin you should just halve the dose. I have been deleted for saying a lot less than that in the past. I wonder how that will go down in the eyes of some people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He said a small portion of cauliflower. I have a serving of cauliflower most days with either cabbage or spinach. I didn't realise it was so high in carbs. Another thing I will have to cut down on.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It is by far and away the most concise and clear lecture I have ever seen about low carbing. I have only one tiny reservation. The Doctor says quite casually that if you are on insulin you should just halve the dose. I have been deleted for saying a lot less than that in the past. I wonder how that will go down in the eyes of some people
This is a fair point, and worth highlighting, having now watched it. Obviously, this is NOT what you should do. Rather you should carb count and make sure you are adjusting your dose correctly. If you are on mixed insulin, you should seek advice from a medical professional. Regardless, if you are on insulin you should test, test, test when going low carb to clearly understand what is happening.

Reactions: Pauline2015
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a fair point, and worth highlighting, having now watched it. Obviously, this is NOT what you should do. Rather you should carb count and make sure you are adjusting your dose correctly. If you are on mixed insulin, you should seek advice from a medical professional. Regardless, if you are on insulin you should test, test, test when going low carb to clearly understand what is happening.
He gave an email address and invited questions so it might be possible to ask him about that point. I'm not a T1 and don't know what I'm talking about so maybe one of you could do it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you about the insulin @Squire Fulwood, but I do remember Fung making a similar comment in one of his lectures. Can anyone else remember it? I am foggy on the details.
My suspicion is that he is talking to a mixed group of overweight people, who primarily want to lose weight. Some of them may be T2, but I don't think he would have been speaking like that to a group of T1s, do you?

Also, I don't think that EVERY low carber needs to start at 20g carbs or less a day. However, he does make the point that he sees all his patients individually, in the clinic, and fine tunes their carb intake, as appropriate. So maybe he starts everyone on 20g, then works back up to their personal carb tolerance, like Atkins suggested decades ago.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suspicion is that he is talking to a mixed group of overweight people, who primarily want to lose weight. Some of them may be T2, but I don't think he would have been speaking like that to a group of T1s, do you?
I don't know how he would talk to a group of T1's but he produced a video which is published in which he just tells people on insulin to halve the dose. Some of these may be T1's and some may be T2's on insulin but it could possibly not be very good advice since many viewers of the video won't be attending his one on one clinic.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very sound advice well presented but a little too restrictive imo. No mention about fiber and little amount of fruit is possible

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about the USA but UK Sugar Free labelling often does not mean Carb Free.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He said a small portion of cauliflower. I have a serving of cauliflower most days with either cabbage or spinach. I didn't realise it was so high in carbs. Another thing I will have to cut down on.
The frozen cauli I eat daily is 3g CHO per 100g as sold (it has water added and is also I think blanched, maybe). I have a quarter of a bag's worth as a serving for one, made into 'rice' or 'mash' or cauliflower cheese - that's 250g, so 7.5g CHO. I don't know how that compares to fresh as I don't think I ever counted it - before I went LCHF I would just 'round up' my carb count to cover the veg, but now that cauli is a main feature in my diet I count it properly.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be interested in hearing @azure 's comments on this video. I read a post from her the other day which described her great control over her blood glucose levels with much attention to timing of testing. Brilliant. So what is her opinion of a doctor who just says halve your insulin?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The frozen cauli I eat daily is 3g CHO per 100g as sold (it has water added and is also I think blanched, maybe). I have a quarter of a bag's worth as a serving for one, made into 'rice' or 'mash' or cauliflower cheese - that's 250g, so 7.5g CHO. I don't know how that compares to fresh as I don't think I ever counted it - before I went LCHF I would just 'round up' my carb count to cover the veg, but now that cauli is a main feature in my diet I count it properly.

Thanks for that. I don't need to carb count accurately and don't have to weigh and measure low carb veg (I just have big portions so long as they are LC, and they don't spike me), so this is a genuine question: how big a lump does your 250g of cauli make? Is it one of the fist sized amounts he was talking about?