SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi,

My partner & I want to go travelling around Thailand & southeast Asia. But I have type 1 diabetes & would like to know how easy or difficult it can be to get access to the medication I will need?

Any help & advice is greatly appreciated.

Sam x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sam, unsure how easy or difficult it is to access meds whilst travelling in Southeast Asia, perhaps if you contact Diabetes UK they may be able to say (or point you in the right direction where you'll find the answer).

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went to Cambodia and Vietnam this summer for three weeks, and all I did was just take everything with me and I took double supplies of everything and some extra set changes as the heat for me makes it goes of quicker, as well as this I put all my insulin into my frio wallets and I had no problem with it going of hope this helps, feel free to message me any problems

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We've been to Thailand a few times and I've always taken my insulin with me and that's worked well. But Thailand is one of the few countries I've been stopped at customs, and that's on a few holidays. They do let you through but seem to double check details so take a copy of your prescription with you.
Have a lovely time.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi Izzy,

Thanks for the info, buy what are frio wallets?

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are totally awesome things that I take with me everywhere. They keep insulin cool, and you just soak them in water for up to 10 mins and then they inflate with the water and keep the inlsuin cool, they are expensive but I would say worth every penny as mine lasted for 6 years before I had to replace them. Also I would say you need to check your blood sugar more often as the heat can do weird things to it, and learn to carb count noodles if you carb count. Also I always had to have a pudding in most places as just the bowls of pho weren't enough food for me so I either just had a banana or pudding

ChrisH5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you going for?
I went travelling around the world for 9 months and took everything with us (yes using Frio Wallets too).
The insulin may not have been in peak condition by the end but I survived and control was generally ok. Customs was a slight issue in some places, especially because I didn't have a 'receipt' for my medication (The likes of the NHS is an unknown to some).

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
How long are you going for?
I went travelling around the world for 9 months and took everything with us (yes using Frio Wallets too).
The insulin may not have been in peak condition by the end but I survived and control was generally ok. Customs was a slight issue in some places, especially because I didn't have a 'receipt' for my medication (The likes of the NHS is an unknown to some).
Thanks ChrisH5 that's make me feel so much more confident about going. I'm going for 1 month only next year, but the following year it'll be 3 months away. So hearing you made it 9 months is fab

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
They are totally awesome things that I take with me everywhere. They keep insulin cool, and you just soak them in water for up to 10 mins and then they inflate with the water and keep the inlsuin cool, they are expensive but I would say worth every penny as mine lasted for 6 years before I had to replace them. Also I would say you need to check your blood sugar more often as the heat can do weird things to it, and learn to carb count noodles if you carb count. Also I always had to have a pudding in most places as just the bowls of pho weren't enough food for me so I either just had a banana or pudding
Thanks for the advice Izzy I will definitely be getting me some frio wallets
I will also start carbon counting noodles in advance