Eye Muscles weakness?

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to my optician today a about twitch and split second dimming happening frequently in my left eye over last few weeks. I already have a prism in my glasses for slight double vision/depth perception issues I'd been having. She told me today is likely the diabetes affecting nerves to do with the muscles controlling the eye and has referred me on to the hospital.
Anyone got experience or more information on this kind of thing?

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well don´t know about diabetes causing it but have read many places that a lack of pottasium could be the cause..

http://www.livestrong.com/article/531642-eyelid-twitching-and-potassium/

http://nutritionandhealing.com/2013/07/22/boost-potassium-levels/

there is a lot of pottasium in avocadoes

No, it's not my eyelid twitching, it's my eye. Optician seen it "in action" and confirmed that's what I was feeling and that the split second dimming of vision was my brain not being able to interpret things. My eye is trying to correct itself drifting off course; at least that's how I interpreted what the optician said.

With kidney issues, I wouldn't want to be messing around with my potassium levels anyway.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's not my eyelid twitching, it's my eye. Optician seen it "in action" and confirmed that's what I was feeling and that the split second dimming of vision was my brain not being able to interpret things. My eye is trying to correct itself drifting off course; at least that's how I interpreted what the optician said.
okay sorry hope someone else knows something that can be useful to you

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
okay sorry hope someone else knows something that can be useful to you
Thanks. No need to apologise. :)
If I understand correctly it's kind of a form of neuropathy, from what I've gleaned off the internet. Never heard of it before, hence asking on here if others have experience.

Reactions: Freema

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi @Bobbin
Rather than have you follow various links to my double-vision saga, I'll give you a brief catch up, in the hope that something may ring a bell with your experience.
One morning I went to my optician with "dizziness" and disorientation and queried whether my new reading glasses could be too strong. They sent me to the cottage A&E who did inconclusive tests, muttered something like " for all we know you might be having a stroke" - and suggested I see my GP. The next day I saw a locum who sent me immediately for a CT scan (to check if a DIY accident might be to blame) and when that wasn't the case, scheduled an MRI for the following morning.
However during my monitored overnight stay my right eye wandered off to the side and a 3rd cranial nerve palsy was diagnosed. Clopidogrel was prescribed there and then, (as a clot or other form of stoppage in the blood flow to the nerve was the likely cause).
I wore an eyepatch to go on holiday in September, and was told to expect some improvement by this coming January. In fact the eye has made a near complete recovery already and apart from a bit of odd "eye-ache" is trouble free. (*crosses fingers firmly)

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Bobbin
Rather than have you follow various links to my double-vision saga, I'll give you a brief catch up, in the hope that something may ring a bell with your experience.
One morning I went to my optician with "dizziness" and disorientation and queried whether my new reading glasses could be too strong. They sent me to the cottage A&E who did inconclusive tests, muttered something like " for all we know you might be having a stroke" - and suggested I see my GP. The next day I saw a locum who sent me immediately for a CT scan (to check if a DIY accident might be to blame) and when that wasn't the case, scheduled an MRI for the following morning.
However during my monitored overnight stay my right eye wandered off to the side and a 3rd cranial nerve palsy was diagnosed. Clopidogrel was prescribed there and then, (as a clot or other form of stoppage in the blood flow to the nerve was the likely cause).
I wore an eyepatch to go on holiday in September, and was told to expect some improvement by this coming January. In fact the eye has made a near complete recovery already and apart from a bit of odd "eye-ache" is trouble free. (*crosses fingers firmly)
Thanks for the reply, interesting to hear. I'll Google "3rd cranial nerve palsy" to see if it does ring true to my experiences. Good to know yours resolved for the main part.

Reactions: nomoredonuts