how important this is

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anyone that hurts fur babies
my other half today said to me that i shouldnt flap about carbs as it isnt imprtant as this is only temparary i feel totally on my own with this

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my other half today said to me that i shouldnt flap about carbs as it isnt imprtant as this is only temparary i feel totally on my own with this
If you are T2 you need to restrict at least refined carbohydrates and test to see the result.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

till this day there is no permanent cure of type 2 diabetes, it is a forever condition/disease and diet seems to be the best way to control it.... okay there are a few that seems to be cured after the NewCasttle cure/diet but most will keep on having troubles in keeping low enough blood glucose if they don´t really seriously restrict their carb amount and carb type in their daily meals , all the year round...

Tell your other half that this is a forever disease .. untill reseachers find a permanent cure that can for sure treat people to be able to coop with higher amounts of sugars and grains and carbs in general

Last edited:

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
it was the restriction of cara
If you are T2 you need to restrict at least refined carbohydrates and test to see the result.
carbahydrates are wghat caused the problem i say i shouldnt have this ,and its doing his head in he says i am on metaformin but it makes me fel like why bother

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Non diabetics don't always appreciate how serious diabetes is, they think its just a case of stop having sugar in tea etc and then you'll be ok. It may take some time for him to accept what you're saying, maybe show him a few articles/pictures of people with diabetes complications and see if that hits home. Good luck

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it was the restriction of carbahydrates are what caused the problem i say i shouldnt have this ,and its doing his head in he says i am on metaformin but it makes me fel like why bother

tell him that metformin doesn´t cure diabetes... it helps so little that is can be looked upon almost like a stick to lean at when having lost a leg... metformin helps maybe 10% maybe 20% ... but you still have the 100% illness and the only thing really helping diabetes type 2 is to eat very different from normal people and especially reducing carbs on a daily basis, and avoiding sugars, white bread, fruits and other high spiking foods..

I will tag @daisy1 have you got the information that newcommers do get in here ?

the best foods are meat, vegetables growing over the ground like tomatoes, cucumbers , salats and cabage and high fat yoghurt and nuts and many more
but there is a lot one can eat and it is important to focus on what one can do
if you scroll down this link there is a lot of good information of what to eat and what not to eat : https://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-for-diabetes/

pattendown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
thing i
till this day there is no permanent cure of type 2 diabetes, it is a forever condition/disease and diet seems to be the best way to control it.... okay there are a few that seems to be cured after the NewCasttle cure/diet but most will keep on having troubles in keeping low enough blood glucose if they don´t really seriously restrict their carb amount and carb type in their daily meals , all the year round...

Tell your other half that this is a forever disease .. untill reseachers find a permanent cure that can for sure treat people to be able to coop with higher amounts of sugars and grains and carbs in general
s his mum and brother are both t1

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thing is his mum and brother are both t1

yes but that is a totally different illness they don´t produce insuline and when getting insuline (and controling it propperly) they can in fact eat more sugar than a type 2 person can

as a type 2 diabetic like you are , you do actually produce insuline far more than most people, but it doesn´t work like it should and therefore you have to eat very little amount of carbs

Both diseases are very serious ... and can lead to a lot of other horrible condition if one does not take much care of ones diet and also medication.

Reactions: Terryrhino

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pattendown

So sorry to have to meet you here but this forum is the best place to be for friendly, knowledgable advice. :) I'm sorry your OH is burying his head in the sand. I can understand how you must be feeling like banging your head against a brick wall.

You say his mum and brother have Type 1 so yes, as Freema says, Type 1s are able to calculate insulin to cover the carbs they eat. However, Type 2 is very much a different condition. There is an element of 'Insulin Resistance' which means that, although you produce the insulin (whereas Type 1's don't) your body doesn't utilise the insulin properly so glucose levels rise. Although Metformin enables the cells to utilise the insulin better, there is still an issue and it's the raised glucose levels in your system that gradually (or sooner) cause problems, mainly to the nerves and/or circulation, hence many diabetic complications involve losing toes/feet/legs, heart issues and more.

The best way to deal with Type 2 and to minimise complications, is to control your glucose levels. The best way to do this is to control the carbs you eat. If you haven't already, I seriously recommend you buy yourself a Glucometer (SD codefree is reasonable price/function and has the cheapest test strips). In spite of the 'professionals' telling you that Type 2's don't need to test, and to eat carbs, by testing you can work out which foods you can/cannot tolerate and at what level your Glucose levels are. Without this, it's basically impossible to expect anyone to control your Glucose levels. This will take time to get used to.

I suggest, when you get a glucometer and start testing (immediately before your first bite, and then again at 2 hours) you show your OH the effect of your meal. Gradually, he will, hopefully, learn more about Type 2 and realise how it is controllable by checking the carbs etc. Share all the information you find, especially Daisy1's post, so that he will soon be on 'your side' ;)

Take it one day at a time. There is a lot to learn and it is likely to be overwhelming at first. You've got friends here, so do ask, and let us know how you are doing :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
First of all, you are NOT on your own. There are lots of us here with the same condition who are happy to share experiences and knowledge and to listen to you when times get tough.

My response to Mr. C when he one day said that he was a bit bored with me banging on about carbs all the time was to say 'but I've got used to them now' and when he asked what I was talking about I said 'my toes and my eyesight'. Than I showed him a few pictures of the damage that uncontrolled diabetes can do. He's never said it again. More recently I have had situations at work when well-meaning people are trying to persuade me in to eating something that wouldn't do me any good so I get out those pictures and show them what the outcome could be - they never ask twice. ;)

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agree with all of the above. Not only that, lchf DOES keep you feeling fuller for longer. Stable appetite, more energy, all good. It is the answer to bg spikes. To my mind it is the answer for type 2

Reactions: Terryrhino

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Think this is not quite true. The NHS is pushing bariatric surgery as the only known cure. A once off snip snip and its cheaper than longterm meds and treating complications. This is a variation of the low food diet, but a bit more drastic and lifechanging.

Think I prefer an LC diet any day.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you are right about that it is a risk though in other aspects

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pattendown

Have you got your own blood glucose meter? If so, a good way to show your other half what happens when you eat carbs is to test immediately before you eat. Eat a jacket potato with baked beans, or a few sandwiches with ordinary bread. Then test again an hour and 2 hours after your first bite. Show him your levels. Show him what the levels should be. This may seem a bit OTT but he needs to learn what these carbs do to you, and what could happen to your health in years to come if you continue to eat like that. You could even test him the same way after the same food and see what happens. If he is genuinely non-diabetic, the results will be very different.

All carbs turn to glucose once inside the system and are just as bad as refined sugar.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The NHS is pushing bariatric surgery as the only known cure.
I've heard that said too but can't help but wonder of what use bariatric surgery would be to a slim T2 I mean I have lost a lot of weight and am no longer obese but don't consider myself as cured

Reactions: amber22
S

serenity648

Think this is not quite true. The NHS is pushing bariatric surgery as the only known cure. A once off snip snip and its cheaper than longterm meds and treating complications. This is a variation of the low food diet, but a bit more drastic and lifechanging.

Think I prefer an LC diet any day.

Is bariatric surgery a cure? how does that differ from a life long careful diet? I mean, what is special about surgery which makes it an actual cure?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Especially as some people regain weight after the surgery if they go back to old eating habits.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Especially as some people regain weight after the surgery if they go back to old eating habits.
I think there is a difference between simple Gastric banding, and what the NHS is pushing for which is to sew off half of the stomach so it is impossible to physically eat the old way ever again. As such the NHS obesity operation is a permanent cure in that it is irreversible. Whilst it does not restrict a high carb diet, it makes it a very restricted diet nonetheless. It has been the centre of a major media blitz with full trumpet fanfare on BBC TV, and has PHE backing as the ONLY CURE for T2D
(Their words).

Whilst we here may know of an alternative treatment, it is not rccognised as being valid and is held to be dangerous to life. Doctors who promote the alternative path find themselves being gagged and / or jailed for their apostasy.

Reactions: Freema and Robbity

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I think there is a difference between simple Gastric banding, and what the NHS is pushing for which is to sew off half of the stomach so it is impossible to physically eat the old way ever again. As such the NHS obesity operation is a permanent cure in that it is irreversible. Whilst it does not restrict a high carb diet, it makes it a very restricted diet nonetheless. It has been the centre of a major media blitz with full trumpet fanfare on BBC TV, and has PHE backing as the ONLY CURE for T2D
(Their words).

Whilst we here may know of an alternative treatment, it is not rccognised as being valid and is held to be dangerous to life. Doctors who promote the alternative path find themselves being gagged and / or jailed for their apostasy.

I've never been overweight so the NHS 'cure' wouldn't work for me!

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I can sympathise with feeling on your own. My OH is an overweight smoker who buries his head in the sand re his own health, let alone mine! Stay strong.