Type 1: Travelling without a letter?

SeanHomer_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Usually when I go on holiday or I've got a bit trip planned I get a letter from my doctor to say I can take sharps on the plane. However this time my doctor has decided to be difficult and say it will take 7-10 days for a letter (I leave on Monday) and that it will cost £15. This had never happened to me before, usually I sit down with a doctor and they write out a letter for me and it costs nothing.

My question is, can I take my repeat prescription to the airport and use that as evidence for why I have needles with me?

Thanks!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can try but it depends on whether that's considered sufficient.

Do you have anything else you could take as proof?

Where are you travelling to?

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never taken any letters or prescriptions to the airport. No one ever questions me on it, I assume because I suppose it's relatively common.

Have you ever been asked to provide proof before?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people say a prescription would be enough, I've never had a letter and travelled a fair bit and have never been asked for it or questioned about my medical equipment - ever! Your Hospital clinic may be more accommodating though if you feel you want/need a covering letter.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've flown 3 times now and each time i've taken a letter but not been asked for it, each flight has been within Europe.

samantha13

Agree with @slip my gp wanted me to pay but my dsn provided free of charge and on the day. I would say though I've travelled a fair bit and have never been asked to produce it.

bravedart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ring the airline you are flying with and ask them if your repeat would be sufficient proof. I recently flew with Virgin Atlantic and they said something like a doctors letter or a prescription would suffice. Got to check-in and, as with every other flight I've been on, it was not asked for.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been travelling with T1D for more than 20 years. I've carried a letter twice when I travelled with school as a kid, and that was because they required me to. Since then I've been to Asia, the US, Central America, the Caribbean, Australia and all over Europe and no-one has asked me for any proof that I should be carrying this stuff. That I'm carrying insulin and syringes (and a pump these days) has always been enough.

Reactions: Engineer88

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed nearly 2 years ago I took my letter and prescriptions with me every time. Never once got asked for them. I now don't bother. I fly very regularly and it has never been an issue - I have never been asked for a letter or prescription. If my bag gets pulled over for secondary screening it's never because of the insulin pen/needles etc. but because I've left in my iPad, forgotten to take water out etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My question is, can I take my repeat prescription to the airport and use that as evidence for why I have needles with me?

Itshould be fine, it lists all the meds you use and has your name printed on it as well as your Dr's surgery and address.

Usually when I go on holiday or I've got a bit trip planned I get a letter from my doctor to say I can take sharps on the plane. However this time my doctor has decided to be difficult and say it will take 7-10 days for a letter (I leave on Monday) and that it will cost £15.

You don't need a new letter each time you fly, my last letter lasted 10 years or more until I lost it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second @noblehead 's advice about getting an undated generic letter. I've had mine years (I keep it safe with my passport). I did have to pay for it as I got it from the surgery, but it's lasted me well.

Unlike others, I have been asked for my letter and it has been scrutinised. I took this as a formality more than anything, but I always take it and a repeat prescription as it saves any hassle - and me worrying : D Better to take too much proof than too little.

chrishopkinsd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been advised that as long as you take your prescription for your medication, this is adequate. Due to the amount of people now diabetic, ports/airports are use to this situation and are unlikely to challenge you with your own prescription from your doctors. This I've done twice this year, and put sharps box and meds in hand luggage going through airports and scanners and not even questioned. Always take your prescription.

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I first got diabetes I always travelled with a letter and was never asked, although we have travelled loads, so I stopped taking one with me. This was always fine until a couple of years ago when we were returning from Puglia and I was asked for some form of proof, as I didn't have this we were made to go and see an airport doctor before the flight for us to pay for him to write a letter, we did this and made our flight.
Since then I have always taken a copy of my prescription with me, but again have rarely been asked and only seemed to be asked when returning from Thailand. But even then you just need to confirm you're diabetic and they let you through.
Have a good holiday

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
When the requirement first came in around 2006 I got a letter from my gp. They charged for it and put a validity on it. Given there's no cure I deemed this insulting and a royal rip off. I asked a friend who was a dr but not mine to write me a letter and she did and i've used that ever since. I now have a pump letter from the hospital too. I don’t think i've ever been asked for it but it makes me feel more comfortable.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I fly quite a lot. I've only been asked for a letter once. All I've ever carried is the repeat prescription form which was fine.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had diabetes for around 45 years, I travel abroad about 6 times each year by car or by plane.

I do have a letter but rarely take it with me, I have been stopped many times by security to check my pump or before pimping to check my insulin pens, not once have I ever been asked to prove by a doctors letter that I'm a diabetic and should be allowed to travel will all my kit.