Are there any Blind PC users within the forum who could help me?

Debbie_Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
smoking, opera and visiting the gym
I use a speech program to navigate. I am new to forums and am having a lot of difficulty working my way around this one which is disappointing.

Reactions: Freema

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Debbie_Mac
I truly hope we can get something sorted out for you.
a very warm welcome :)-- our admin team are alerted so hopefully we will have something for you.

Reactions: Debbie_Mac

Debbie_Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that @Debbie_Mac

I'm going to tag some members of the forum admin for you to see if they can help - @CaptainEarle and @CaptainWard

Meanwhile, if there's anything we can do to help you, please say :)
Thanks for that. I'll keep messing about myself and maybe the more I practice, the better I'll get at working out what the heck is going on and being able to interact better within the forum. Everyone seems so helpful and I think I could learn a lot, if only I can get to grips with the layout!

Reactions: himtoo

Debbie_Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Debbie_Mac
I truly hope we can get something sorted out for you.
a very warm welcome :)-- our admin team are alerted so hopefully we will have something for you.
Thank you. I think I could learn a lot from the forum if I can get the layout v's my speech program sussed!

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that. I'll keep messing about myself and maybe the more I practice, the better I'll get at working out what the heck is going on and being able to interact better within the forum. Everyone seems so helpful and I think I could learn a lot, if only I can get to grips with the layout!

I apologise for not knowing how your speech program works, but if there's anything I can do or can post here that will help you, just ask.

I don't know if this is helpful at all but the forum home page has the list of all the subforums eg Ask A Question. There are a lot of subforums, but you may only be interested in a few. Don't worry about posting in the wrong place. We can move any posts or threads that get mis-located very easily.

Does your speech program need the names of the subforums?

There's a Search tab at the top if you want to,search for certain topics. Or, if you post here, we can find links for you and put them here if that would help at all.

Reactions: Debbie_Mac

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Debbie_Mac
you keep going girl -- we are so pleased to have you on the "team" and
post whenever , wherever you can ( LOL Shakira )

we will be looking out for you and hope you keep posting !! :)

you could just keep posting here and we can work with you.

Debbie_Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I apologise for not knowing how your speech program works, but if there's anything I can do or can post here that will help you, just ask.

I don't know if this is helpful at all but the forum home page has the list of all the subforums eg Ask A Question. There are a lot of subforums, but you may only be interested in a few. Don't worry about posting in the wrong place. We can move any posts or threads that get mis-located very easily.

Does your speech program need the names of the subforums?

There's a Search tab at the top if you want to,search for certain topics. Or, if you post here, we can find links for you and put them here if that would help at all.
Thanks for your offer of help. I can get onto the search fields in the main forum and track down the threads of conversation to things I've put in, its more trying to work out the layout so I know how to jump to where I need to be. I use a speech program called "JAWS" which is pretty versatile, but sometimes, it just doesn't pick up information that is showing on screen. For example, the other day I had some responses to my 1st introductory message, but when I entered on my name where it stated the no. of messages, whilst my Husband could read them, my speech didn't pick them up at all. also, Freema sent me a lovely private message and when I entered on what I thought was the correct link to reply, everything disappeared! I think (!) I tracked down Freema on her blog page and said thank you, but I'm not sure. I'm getting the hang (I think!) of responding to threads though. Just get one of your team to download the free demo version of JAWS from Freedom Scientific, put on a blindfold and see what happens! Well, that's a little unfair of me because I do have 16 plus years of experience working JAWS. It probably doesn't help that I'm new to forums as well. I just felt that this forum could be really useful for me so took the plunge (with armbands on!!!).

Debbie_Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey @Debbie_Mac
you keep going girl -- we are so pleased to have you on the "team" and
post whenever , wherever you can ( LOL Shakira )

we will be looking out for you and hope you keep posting !! :)

you could just keep posting here and we can work with you.
That made me smile! Like a lot of my world, we often don't have a clue where we are or what's happening! Pity Guide Dogs can't operate PC's as well as they can guide, it would make life so much easier!!!

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would it be worth while having some admins of this forum liase with RNIB to get advice on how best VIPs can access it and ways in which it can be made easier? Given that diabetes is one of the leading causes of visual impairment; the forum should be easily accessible to all.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your offer of help. I can get onto the search fields in the main forum and track down the threads of conversation to things I've put in, its more trying to work out the layout so I know how to jump to where I need to be. I use a speech program called "JAWS" which is pretty versatile, but sometimes, it just doesn't pick up information that is showing on screen. For example, the other day I had some responses to my 1st introductory message, but when I entered on my name where it stated the no. of messages, whilst my Husband could read them, my speech didn't pick them up at all. also, Freema sent me a lovely private message and when I entered on what I thought was the correct link to reply, everything disappeared! I think (!) I tracked down Freema on her blog page and said thank you, but I'm not sure. I'm getting the hang (I think!) of responding to threads though. Just get one of your team to download the free demo version of JAWS from Freedom Scientific, put on a blindfold and see what happens! Well, that's a little unfair of me because I do have 16 plus years of experience working JAWS. It probably doesn't help that I'm new to forums as well. I just felt that this forum could be really useful for me so took the plunge (with armbands on!!!).

Thanks for that explanation. I am going to escalate this to see if we can get any tech help from the forum admin team.

We'll sort it - or at least improve things for you :)

Reactions: Energize and Bobbin

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe this would work until someone comes up with a better idea.
On the front your profile page is an area called Update Your Status, where you can write anything you like.
You could use this space for links to the subforums. First the name of the forum in plain english, and then the link in the next line.
You may need help to set it up, but once the links are there, you can then delete any link, limiting the number of forums to only the ones you are interested in. If you get lost you can always go back to the profile page and find the link you need.
I don't know if the space is limited. Hopefully a staff member can answer that.
Anyone, feel free to criticize my idea. I may have overlooked something.