What happens if I break my keto diet for christmas?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I find things I used to love don't taste nearly as good as I remembered. One small taste of something sweet is enough for me. I could never imagine eating a whole piece of something sweet anymore. My taste buds have seriously changed. I'd take a fat bomb anyday. Carbs create seriously uncontrollable carb cravings that I'll eat until ill but can't stop and I get all the symptoms @Brunneria gets. Not worth it or the anxiety of thinking about it or what it will do to my BS. It takes days to get back to normal once I spike.

I like your idea of moderating this year. It is amazing how high the spike can be when your body isn't used to it.
I always say to my partner I'm like an alcoholic with carbs... once i start it is REALLY hard to stop. At least now I'm keto adapted the cravings have gone completely, I just went to the supermarket to get sweets for the kids stockings and I wasn't remotely tempted. It was like looking at plastic. Usually I wouldn't let myself by their sweets until right before christmas in case I ate them. But as a child, before I even knew what diabetes was, I remember taking the back off the advent calendar to slide the plastic with the chocs out and eat them all before christmas (so front was intact and it looked like I'd just opened each window each day). so I have always been a complete carb addict. Glad to know it's not just me!

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
On the carb front, me too! Once I started I couldn't stop. As soon as I went over to LCHF my addiction disappeared. These days, if I overindulge on carbs I feel like I have a hangover, which is unpleasant enough to stop me doing it again in a hurry.

Christmas dinner will feature a few roast potatoes, but everything else will be low carb.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always say to my partner I'm like an alcoholic with carbs... once i start it is REALLY hard to stop. At least now I'm keto adapted the cravings have gone completely, I just went to the supermarket to get sweets for the kids stockings and I wasn't remotely tempted. It was like looking at plastic. Usually I wouldn't let myself by their sweets until right before christmas in case I ate them. But as a child, before I even knew what diabetes was, I remember taking the back off the advent calendar to slide the plastic with the chocs out and eat them all before christmas (so front was intact and it looked like I'd just opened each window each day). so I have always been a complete carb addict. Glad to know it's not just me!
Then why start cravings? for tradition sake? I know, easier said than don even but not always worth the penalty. Diabetes never sleeps. Do what makes you happy but be prepared for consequences. Sorry to say that but it's true. I paid a price for days for over eating chicken wings!!!!! Really?

Above all enjoy your holiday. Life is too short! Just don't expect your meter to take a holiday haha

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas isn't really a problem - I mean, what are a few days off a diet? A drop in the ocean. Nothing in the grand scheme of things...

But the REAL issue is battling the carb cravings.

I've been hanging around the forum for 3? 4? years now, and every Xmas we get the same thing happening.
- before the day, there is a lot of totally understandable speculation about going off the wagon, impact, enjoyment...
- just after Xmas we get posts on cravings, high bg and a lot of new diagnoses
- then people struggle to get back on the wagon, beat the cravings, desperately trying to get fasting levels down and reduce their poundage. Some people just stop posting altogether and disappear
- then, for months we get people returning after high carbing since Xmas, starting again, after raised hba1cs and out of control eating for all that time

And all because the cravings got them.

Personally, I think it is more important to have a Craving Killing Strategy than it is to consider an Xmas Binge Strategy :)

Reactions: Terryrhino

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I clearly remember I found last Christmas hard food-wise because it was the first one after diagnosis AND because good as I'd been about cutting out sugar and cutting back on carbs, my readings all started coming out in mid-to high teens no matter what. (This was before I started walking more, and before I decided to switch to Low Carb.)

This year, I'm looking forwards to it again as I've a much better range of foods which don't spike me, which keep me in range most of the time, a list of recipes to try out using those foods, and I'm now much less bothered about appearing "fussy" or "difficult" on social occasions where carbs abound! (Very hard to do when you've both grown up in and lived in a situations where that is seen as insulting to the cook, and a cardinal sin. But, it's probably the biggest contributing factor to my T2 along with the hereditary factor.)

In fact, the other T2s at church are looking forwards to testing out my LC baking. And the Christmas pudding I've had in the cupboard since last year, but didn't dare even have a mouthful of in the high bloods levels crisis going on at the time, is going into my church's food bank for someone who will make better use of it than me!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I've been hard keto dieting (<20g carbs/day) and lost 10.5lbs in 2 weeks. I want to lose a stone so will continue til christmas ideally.

I don't want to deny myself 'normal' food at christmas as to me that wouldn't be christmas, I know a lot of people will say you can still low carb at christmas but I am choosing not to.

I'd like to be able to give myself christmas eve/christmas day/ boxing day to eat and drink what I'd like and then get back to low carbing.

I have MODY/T2 and have stopped all medication whilst doing my keto diet yet still my bloods are in the normal range (been checking regularly)

If I go back to carbs for a few days clearly I will go back on my meds/insulin although it may be a little tricky to get the exact insulin dose although i'll test and correct if necessary.

I'm hoping some of the more experienced low carbers may be able to answer the following:

1. What can I expect from coming out of ketosis back on to normal foods quite rapidly (and let's face it there will be some christmassy treats in there. And alcohol).

2. Am I better to phase my carbs back in, so eg I increase gradually a few days before?

3. Will I be more affected by alcohol if i'm in ketosis or just come out of it (there is the work christmas party this week, I will eat low carb but don't want to miss out on a few drinks)

4. Will be insulin requirements be MORE or LESS than befoer? I've lost 10lbs so I'm thinking I'll need less insulin... but if I've just come out of ketosis will my body be very carb sensitive and possibly need more to cope with an unexpected carb load?

Any other advice welcome. I know it's not ideal to go in and out of ketosis, but I've made a choice to relax my diet at christmas and have some treats for a few days, so just need to know how to go about 'damage limitation'.

Thanks

We had our big family Christmas lunch on Saturday so am currently going through the effects you mention. I usually low carb to around 30g a day.

I've had high FBG for sure, even up at 8.5 today. But haven't been feeling carb hangover yet - although I also have a cold which isn't helping, and I can't swim either.

As others have said the effects will be different for everyone - if you want to go for it! I didn't go overboard but enjoyed christmas stuffings, a few roast potatoes, a small piece of christmas pudding etc. It was great. Didn't make me wish for the old days again as I know that on LCHF I feel good, but as it was a large family lunch I just dived in :) Everything in moderation once in a while and you will be fine.

Today though I'm back to low carbing :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided though that our Christmas Day at home will be relatively low carb (ie low carb cauli cheese) and I won't be eating half a box of Quality Street! The OH can eat the whole box and he'd probably like that!

@Brunneria list of goodies sounds great - I must explore the Ditch the Carbs website, low carb truffles sound good!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I clearly remember I found last Christmas hard food-wise because it was the first one after diagnosis AND because good as I'd been about cutting out sugar and cutting back on carbs, my readings all started coming out in mid-to high teens no matter what. (This was before I started walking more, and before I decided to switch to Low Carb.)

This year, I'm looking forwards to it again as I've a much better range of foods which don't spike me, which keep me in range most of the time, a list of recipes to try out using those foods, and I'm now much less bothered about appearing "fussy" or "difficult" on social occasions where carbs abound! (Very hard to do when you've both grown up in and lived in a situations where that is seen as insulting to the cook, and a cardinal sin. But, it's probably the biggest contributing factor to my T2 along with the hereditary factor.)

In fact, the other T2s at church are looking forwards to testing out my LC baking. And the Christmas pudding I've had in the cupboard since last year, but didn't dare even have a mouthful of in the high bloods levels crisis going on at the time, is going into my church's food bank for someone who will make better use of it than me!
We've already ordered the Heston Blumental Persian Spiced xmas pudding - with honey centre.....oops.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've already ordered the Heston Blumental Persian Spiced xmas pudding - with honey centre.....oops.

Haha! There is one of those in our house too - Mr B will eat 95% of it. I will get a tiny portion, smothered with double cream...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Christmas isn't really a problem - I mean, what are a few days off a diet? A drop in the ocean. Nothing in the grand scheme of things...

But the REAL issue is battling the carb cravings.

I've been hanging around the forum for 3? 4? years now, and every Xmas we get the same thing happening.
- before the day, there is a lot of totally understandable speculation about going off the wagon, impact, enjoyment...
- just after Xmas we get posts on cravings, high bg and a lot of new diagnoses
- then people struggle to get back on the wagon, beat the cravings, desperately trying to get fasting levels down and reduce their poundage. Some people just stop posting altogether and disappear
- then, for months we get people returning after high carbing since Xmas, starting again, after raised hba1cs and out of control eating for all that time

And all because the cravings got them.

Personally, I think it is more important to have a Craving Killing Strategy than it is to consider an Xmas Binge Strategy :)
I've always found the best way to kill cravings is to allow myself as much low carb food as i want even when not hungry, and after 3 days usually the cravings have abated. The evenings are hard though but it's more psychological
Haha! There is one of those in our house too - Mr B will eat 95% of it. I will get a tiny portion, smothered with double cream...

One of the few advantages of being on insulin is that I can whack in a big dose to cover it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my Go To craving killers are either a coffee with cream, a fat bomb, a handful of nuts, or a chunk of cheese.

Works every time.