Type 2 Instead of Bread

Robbo2452

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a type 2diabetic and also an HGV driver but I'm having real problems with my daily food intake.I eat fruit and celery but also take two sandwiches each day,my problem is I want to knock the bread on the head. I've tried crackers but they go soft in my lunch box can anyone give me some suggestions on what I can replace my sandwiches with.

Reactions: Liam1955

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhhh !!!!! Lunch is so hard isn't it bread and crackers are mostly a no go area yep that cuts deep to the bone in sorry I'm only 2.5 months into diagnoses my lunch is anything from slices of cheese and cold meats with pate soups stews salads bacon based quiche fish last nights leftovers!!! Being a HGV driver is tough but soups is a flask work and stews ham rolled up with cheese an extras as a snack even roll it up in done lettuce leafs throw the Mars bars out and the coke water sliced peppers even carrots or a bit dark chocolate 85% one thing at a time but fruit isn't always so good full of natural sugars

Reactions: Ange G and KezG

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a read through the different sections in the forum and you'll find loads id ideas and advice that's what I've done and I've taken up the LCHF LIFESTYLE it's tough for a week but you'll wonder why you've not done it before it's amazing good luck and ask as many questions as you can someone will help you the forum is amazing

Reactions: Liam1955 and andyfh

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Robbo2452 - Hi :). Agree with @murph524 - a lot of Forum Members who follow the LCHF Diet eat these Lidl's high protein rolls and they are also good to freeze so I have read. = If you decide on these rolls I would suggest you buy them in bulk and freeze some. Lidl sell out fast of these rolls :).

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I changed to crisp bread instead. They are very low on calories. (27 each) You can fill them with all sorts of goodies, Cheese, egg, slices of meat, avocado, tuna, salmon, and much much more. I have them almost every day
Tesco sell them as "Tesco Thin Crispbread", in a yellow box. Similar crispbreads are also sold at most super markets including Lidle. Do check that they are low calorie first. Some of these are like slices of concrete, so beware there are many types.:D.

Reactions: Liam1955

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely enough, the traditional "trucker's salad" - a bacon, sausage and egg fry-up with mushrooms & tomatoes (I'm sure you knew that anyway) would be just what you're looking for - just don't have the fried bread, toast, hash browns or beans!!!

As low-carb as you can get and very T2 friendly, too. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I like Nairns Oatcakes low in carbs and cals.

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may try to make your own low carb version http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/04/ivealways-thought-that-it-is-not.html or buy one https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/LivLife-Low-Carbs-Seriously-Seeded-Loaf/96565011?dnr=y
I personally just switch to different foods for lunch: salads, cold meats, stews, soups
Hi elwelia, just checked out your link. Wow, some fab looking recipes on your link I am going to try.
Robbo2452, I am managing lunch on the hoof by eating low carb left overs from the night before, it took a while to get used to ditching the butties from local deli but, it's cost effective and my work colleagues don't complain anymore when I open my lunch box with cauliflower topped fish pie, Brussels sprout soup, cabbage pureed cottage pie even if I start snacking at breakfast.!!!! Good luck with your quest

Reactions: ewelina